PDA

View Full Version : Where does cleaner wax fit in the detailing process?

trencher7
11-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Hi all. I am new to this and excited to get my first PC XP just recently. There are so many products and steps involved and I could use some help. I have a silver 2003 Saab 9-3 which doesn't have many swirl marks, but heavy water stains I can see in the light. I haven't waxed it in over a year and ready to make up for it. I have some Meguiar's speed glaze which I thought of using after claying the car. Or do I need to fit in another cleaner application between?

I was just going to use the white CCS pad (or should I use the light green?) I was then going to follow with the Collinite Insulator 845 wax. I also have had a few bottles of Meguiar's cleaner wax around and wasn't sure when that would fit in the process if I am using a polisher with the speed glaze. Is cleaner wax only used for those that want a one step wax /clean that aren't polishing beforehand? Thanks. All suggestions appreciated.

CakeDaddy
11-13-2009, 03:28 PM
This chart is GOLD! Print it out in color and post in your garage.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-charts-graphs/20193-flow-chart.html

I think the cleaner wax falls under the pre cleanser polish category.

washing the car
cleaner wax
glaze <---optional
seal
wax

You can use the blue or grey pad for the cleaner wax.

trencher7
11-13-2009, 03:42 PM
This chart is GOLD! Print it out in color and post in your garage.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-charts-graphs/20193-flow-chart.html

I think the cleaner wax falls under the pre cleanser polish category.

washing the car
use the cleaner wax
glaze <---optional
seal
wax

You can use the blue or grey pad for the cleaner wax.

I might have the wrong take on the speed glaze. I think of it as the polish/ cleaner step. It has some abrasives for cleaning so I don't see why I would put a layer of wax on my car with the cleaner wax, to then just polish it away.

So should I seal before the Collinite 845 or after?

Bert31
11-13-2009, 03:53 PM
I have always believed a cleaner wax is for those who are not willing to do the multiple steps many of us are. Generally a cleaner wax would be used by the person who does not want to spend time polishing, glazing and LSP'ing. The just want to wash, (maybe) clay, then cleaner wax. I could see this being done at numerous dealerships. You could also substitute a product like Meg 151 and get some polishing along with the cleaning and LSPing.

builthatch
11-13-2009, 04:01 PM
i agree with ^

i look at a cleaner wax as sort-of an all in one type product for the mass market, average car care product user. i operate with a different school of thought with the products i use though. i'm not really a product collector or fan of step skipper combo products. hiding glaze, dusty cleaner wax...doesn't register with me.

for what it's worth, i use one compound (optimum), but use the pad to adjust the cut; this can range over a couple pad types. i use one polish (optimum) and again, use the pad to adjust the cut as that stuff with the right pad can be a supreme finish polish or a moderate correction polish, and everything in-between. then, for in-between upkeep that doesn't include removing anything more than sealant trapped water spots (slight etching), super light swirls, basically when not much is visible at all in terms of damage, i'll use poli-seal.

and, if i want to seal, i use one sealant or one wax.

akimel
11-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Cleaner Wax is often used by Meguiar's users in a two-step process: to clean the paint and lay down a layer of protection; they then top it with a wax of their choice (in your case, 845). Using a dual action polisher, they might apply Cleaner Wax (or ColorX or M20) with a polishing pad at speed 3 to 5. See this article: Your Daily Driver: A Simple Wash & Wax Regimen (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29505). .

Jossy92
11-14-2009, 09:36 AM
I have been using it if I have to get aggressive in cleaning some tree sap or bug splatter off my paint. (This usually only happens the day after I detail.) It's just to keep it protected until the next full wash, etc.

Never heard this suggested by a pro or experienced detailer. I guess I have been using it for emergencies. The "newb" process...
:)

Meghan
11-14-2009, 09:38 AM
I am not sure I have every used a cleaner wax, I can't get over the word cleaner right next to wax. I always think, will the cleaner, remove the wax? :p

Jossy92
11-14-2009, 09:51 AM
I only use it on the tiny spot that I used the bug cleaner on. However, That means it's clean.... So why am I using a cleaner wax? cuz I'm a NEWB!
:)
Where's my M21?

akimel
11-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Not only newbs use Cleaner Wax (or a similar AIO-type product). See Tom Mosca's article In Praise of Cleaner Wax (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19978).

Bunky
11-14-2009, 10:43 AM
I use cleaner wax on chrome (mostly plastic chrome) and removing fresh water spots.

sullysdetailing
11-14-2009, 10:53 AM
You can use a cleaner wax as your LSP. I use it quite often. It has mild cleaner in the wax to get rid of minor inperfections. I wouldnt use a Cleaner Wax after I did major paint correction or on a car that has pretty good paint on it but it works really wel on daily drive cars that dont need that show room finish we all look for.

This is what I did for this car. I am now washing it every 2 weeks so the next time i what it I will be using Klasse, Poorboys Black Whole, and WGPS. Mike Philips gave me the idea. He said why spend the time correcting the paint if there gonna uin all your hard work. So I used a cleaner wax with a white pad and PC @ 5000 and this is how the car came out.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/21104-sully-s-detailing-clk.html