PDA

View Full Version : 1st run with Flex-Dayuuuuum!

cheakster
11-12-2009, 07:32 PM
I just used my new Flex for the 1st time on my boat- "*^%$#&%#" is this thing smooth!
My only previous experience was with a UDM (original model) which I liked, for the short time it worked.The Flex is a whole different world- smooth, powerful, and quiet. Along with the machine I ordered multiple size/brand pads,determined to find the best combination- everything from 6.5" CCS, 6"Kompressor, The Edge System with 4"& 6" dual sided,and some self-centering pads (from CCS and a non-AGO brand). The Flex is so efficient with all pads that it is hard to rate them...but I will ...eventually :props:
Those who have this great machine know what I'm talking about. Those on the fence........
GET OFF! This is well worth the $$. I took a looooong time to decide, and I made the right decision- this thing is incredible!!! I'm not knocking other machines, but the Flex stands alone!

Dan

NotZeroSix
11-12-2009, 07:58 PM
I got the 7424XP when it came out. Though it did its job well, but there were problems with I had personally. Such as noise, underpowered, and most of all vibration. Then I got the Flex 3401 VRG and it was a blessing. The forced rotation made correction cut timing in half, less vibration, and wasnt that loud. It was one of the best investments made. Weeks later, I got the Makita 9227c and its a whole different ballgame. No vibration, more powerful, and not that loud. Because of this I dont even bother using my previous machines.

ScottB
11-12-2009, 08:25 PM
remember to tighten the backing plate nut ... somewhere in the Flexs direction and often missed.

VISITOR
11-12-2009, 09:34 PM
what does "*^%$#&%#" mean? :D

cheakster
11-13-2009, 08:27 AM
remember to tighten the backing plate nut ... somewhere in the Flexs direction and often missed.

Right! I took the plate off to lube the felt ring anyway,but, IT WAS VERY LOOSE from the factory and would have been a problem.

cheakster
11-13-2009, 08:52 AM
what does "*^%$#&%#" mean? :D

Fill in the blanks, my friend :laughing:
Even after reading all the praise for the Flex on this forum and having high expectations, I was still amazed at the power, balance, control and quietness of this machine! The boat is huge, but polished quickly, and I didn't have that "vibrating hands syndrome" afterwards. This will be a great step towards a rotary

Bobby B.
11-13-2009, 09:36 AM
The Flex XC 3401 VRG DA Polisher is awesome.

2003 GMC Denali
11-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Just think of how many Flex's they could sell, if they were priced a little closer to the PC's and the Griot's.

I too, would have bought a Flex if it was just a couple of Bucks more, but obviously not if it's "Hundreds" more.

Rsurfer
11-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Just think of how many Flex's they could sell, if they were priced a little closer to the PC's and the Griot's.

I too, would have bought a Flex if it was just a couple of Bucks more, but obviously not if it's "Hundreds" more.
Hey, you can correct anything that the Flex can correct. If you are doing this for a living than a Flex and Rotary is in order. However, if you are maintaining your own cars than a pc or griot is sufficient. You are only polishing once or twice a year, so it's not like you need a powerfjul machine everyday.

2003 GMC Denali
11-13-2009, 11:31 AM
This is true.

Bert31
11-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Hey, you can correct anything that the Flex can correct. If you are doing this for a living than a Flex and Rotary is in order. However, if you are maintaining your own cars than a pc or griot is sufficient. You are only polishing once or twice a year, so it's not like you need a powerfjul machine everyday.

On 90% of cars this is correct. Trying to correct the rock hard paint on my car with a UDM was a very frustrating experience. It took forever to get marring out. Now, wool and a rotary are my friends when my car has swirling. The UDM is now used for applying clearners, AIO's, glazes, LSP's, cleaning carpets with carpet brushes and when doing one step polishes on other peoples cars with paint not near as hard as my car's.

Rsurfer
11-13-2009, 11:44 AM
On 90% of cars this is correct. Trying to correct the rock hard paint on my car with a UDM was a very frustrating experience. It took forever to get marring out. Now, wool and a rotary are my friends when my car has swirling. The UDM is now used for applying clearners, AIO's, glazes, LSP's, cleaning carpets with carpet brushes and when doing one step polishes on other peoples cars with paint not near as hard as my car's.
Very true Bert, but with proper washing and drying you won't have to bust out the rotary for six months. My point being, once the major flaws are corrected, maintaining is a breeze.

skizot
11-22-2009, 08:58 AM

I started with a PC that my wonderful wife bought for me last year and never really used it. Never really knew how to be honest. This year, I learned and quickly hated the PC once I tried the Flex. This lead me to almost immediately ditch (sell) the PC and get a 3401. It is a night and day difference, even though I started by just working on my own cars.

I have only owned it a short period of time, but I have lots of experience using the PC in the previous details I have done and can tell you this machine is amazing. Thanks to Dwayne from AG and Bob from Flex for making time for me at SEMA to go over the benefits. These guys rock!