PDA

View Full Version : How to raise the level of aggressiveness in polishing?

mcpp66
11-11-2009, 11:40 PM
I have a question. I know the rule of thumb when polishing is to start with the least aggression and move your way up as necessary. I have orange and white CCS pads, SwirlX, ScratchX 2.0, and UC. Assuming I start with a white pad and SwirlX, how should I proceed in aggressiveness? Would I stick with the SwirlX and go up to an orange pad or would I stick with white pad and move up to ScratchX 2.0? I guess what I'm asking is do I increase aggression with the pad or compound first? Or do I move up in both areas?

Erik Mejia
11-12-2009, 06:24 AM
Shrink your work area, slow you arm speed and give it a second pass. Make sure you're on speed 5.

If the above fails, then I'd go for the Ultimate Compound and a white pad next. ScratchX was designed to be used more for spot buffing isolated defects, rather than and entire vehicle.

If the above doesn't work then try an orange pad with SwirlX, or UC next. Most orange pads tend to be stiffer and could haze some paints. It's best to try and avoid any hazing (as this would create a new challenge) and still obtain the results you are looking for. Also remember that every paint is different and will react differently to different polishing combos. Good luck.

fubar
11-12-2009, 08:48 AM
put up some pics. of what ur clear coat looks like on the car or truck.:Picture:

mcpp66
11-12-2009, 09:25 AM
I wish I had a camera to do that with. I have a phone camera but I don't know if that's going to be good enough.

mcpp66
11-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Shrink your work area, slow you arm speed and give it a second pass. Make sure you're on speed 5.

If the above fails, then I'd go for the Ultimate Compound and a white pad next. ScratchX was designed to be used more for spot buffing isolated defects, rather than and entire vehicle.

If the above doesn't work then try an orange pad with SwirlX, or UC next. Most orange pads tend to be stiffer and could haze some paints. It's best to try and avoid any hazing (as this would create a new challenge) and still obtain the results you are looking for. Also remember that every paint is different and will react differently to different polishing combos. Good luck.

So increase aggressiveness in the compound first, then if that fails then the pad?

Mike Phillips
11-12-2009, 11:27 AM
If SwirlX and a polishing pad isn't working fast enough or effectively enough then try the orange CCS pad with the UC on the 5.0 to 6.0 speed setting.

Which machine do you have
What size pads do you have?

It's important that the pad is rotating, not just vibrating or jiggling against the paint. First generation PC style polishers don't do well when it comes to keeping larger pads rotating under pressure.

Mark the back of your backing plate with a Sharpie marker so you can easily tell if the pad is rotating or just jiggling.

What are you working on?
What are you trying to accomplish?

????

mcpp66
11-12-2009, 12:10 PM
If SwirlX and a polishing pad isn't working fast enough or effectively enough then try the orange CCS pad with the UC on the 5.0 to 6.0 speed setting.

Which machine do you have
What size pads do you have?
It's important that the pad is rotating, not just vibrating or jiggling against the paint. First generation PC style polishers don't do well when it comes to keeping larger pads rotating under pressure.

Mark the back of your backing plate with a Sharpie marker so you can easily tell if the pad is rotating or just jiggling.

What are you working on?
What are you trying to accomplish?
????

I'm not having a problem with this yet, I was just curious on how one should step up the aggressiveness. More specifically do you up the compound first and then the pad or vice versa. I have a PC 7424XP with 4" and 6.5" CCS white and orange pads and I'm just trying to get some swirls out of a 2010 black Camaro. I'm happy with the results I already have, I'm just trying to get some continuing education.

fubar
11-12-2009, 03:22 PM
this is what i used, Adams Swirl & Haze remover with a Orange pad, PC speed set at 5 with slow movement back and forth, up and down. Adams Revive Polish and Adams Americana Past Wax. These are before and after pics. U should get the same thing with using Meg. Swirl-X with Orange Pad. Just make sure you use a polish 2nd. with white pad and then 3rd. wax. with black pad.:dblthumb2: