PDA

View Full Version : Most over looked thing in washing a car?

Pages : [1] 2

astrogus
11-10-2009, 07:26 PM
What step do you think is the most overlooked when someone is washing a car. Not saying a professional detailer, just someone washing there daily driver.

I think it's either gotta be the jams, inside the gas door.

GMC83
11-10-2009, 07:35 PM
the wheelwells, people are too lazy to stick their hand in there with a brush.

T Riddle
11-10-2009, 07:40 PM

I agree with this as well. Most cars that I have a first go around with need a very thorough wheel well cleaning.

StephenK
11-10-2009, 07:50 PM
i dont think they rinse it throughly and leave soap residue on the vehicle

DLB
11-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Wheel wells and inside gas door.

I am surprised at the number of people who clean their jambs regularly.

DLB

SRHTX
11-10-2009, 08:14 PM
+1 - :iagree:

ScottB
11-10-2009, 08:33 PM
underneath the rear valance ...

VR8
11-10-2009, 08:43 PM
The motor NEVER gets cleaned by "Average Joe".... and that's probably a good thing!

oldmodman
11-11-2009, 01:06 AM

Boy is that the truth! I have worked on friends cars that have never had the wheelwells cleaned. Took half a bottle of Surf City de-crudder to get all the garbage out of there.

The motor NEVER gets cleaned by "Average Joe".... and that's probably a good thing!

Just had a lady bring by her new (used) 2003 Toyota SUV and when I looked under the hood I couldn't see the engine for all the leaves and crap. But after an hours work with a shop vac, crevice tool, stiff brush all the loose stuff was gone. Another hour with a can of Foaming Gunk, a rinse, another wash with full strength Simple Green, another rinse, then a final treatment with a leftover can of No Touch the engine compartment looked like new. And this was both top and bottom (I put the car up on a lift to get to the bottom).

autodromo
11-11-2009, 06:13 AM
around town i see a lot of people work out in the hot sun, and use one wash bucket.

Superdutytd
11-11-2009, 08:19 AM

Why? It's not really hard to do or anything.

I'm going to have to say the barrel of the wheels or inside the fuel door.

dublifecrisis
11-11-2009, 08:41 AM
I'll go with pre-rinse. Sure, everyone does a pre-rinse but for the most part they're just getting the car wet.

The tree-huggers might cringe when I say this, but I pre-rinse for up to ten minutes sometimes. My car is almost clean before I even dunk my hand in the soap bucket. There's a lot less dirt to get trapped in the sponge with a good thorough pre-rinse.

Tesla
11-11-2009, 10:35 AM
I've NEVER seen a lay person clean the barrel of the wheels or the gas cap area. Wheel wells are also a good bet but I think plenty of people clean the jams.

mikep288
11-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Most also don't know how to deal with brake dust like we do. If it doesn't come off with the first pass of the soapy sponge or mitt, its there to stay.

Dwayne
11-11-2009, 11:09 AM
I always clean the wheel barrels, wheels, wheels wells, door jambs and gas cap area all first.

If these are done while you are still fresh and enthusiastic about the wash or the detail you'll never miss them. if left for later they may be missed or intentionally left since the majority of the car looks good.