PDA

View Full Version : "ghosting" after waxing.

corolla619
11-10-2009, 06:12 PM
This has been bugging me for a while now.

Hers's my problem. I have alot of carbon fiber on my personal car and on that i like to use meguiars nxt 2.0. What is happening is sometimes after applying the wax i get ghosting/or what looks like oily marks in verious spots on my hood. This never happens on my trunk or anywhere else but just my hood. At first i thought it had to do with the hood being hot after driving it, nope not the problem. This tends to happen after applying a new layer of the nxt 2.0, even after i let it dry/cure longer than needed and flip the towel to new sides often. This has also happened when using fuzion, souveran, and sigII.

here's another catch. Ihave had this "ghosting" even after a light mist of quick detailer. What gets me is it doesn't happen everytime but probaly every other time. What i hate is holding my breath hoping it won't happen because it's a pain to fix. I have to use pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion to strip everything, which is usually 2 coats and then start fresh again and hope and pray when i go to qd it that it doesn't happen again.

Can someone enlighten me to what might be happening?

HighEndDetail
11-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Try and do a longer slower wipe with the MF towel. That might help out, sometimes shorter faster wiping will leave some ghosting affect ?

stove937
11-10-2009, 06:18 PM
I have had this exact problem tint NXT 2.0 over my client's entire car. After all of the hard work, i had to remove all the wax. i never used it again

Matt
11-10-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm not sure what it is, but I'd say ditch the NXT 2.0.

I've used it several times, believing that it must be good since I heard so many good things about it, but was very disappointed.

IMO, it's junk.
Not that easy to apply, wasn't very durable, didn't look too good and slickness fell off after about a week.

OCDetails
11-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Waxes will do that. The oils will streak and smear sometimes and cause that appearance. There are a couple things you can try to avoid it, but on black you are going to have a really hard time eliminating them entirely on the first try.

You can try using less wax and that may help. One of the things that causes the ghosting can be wax build up in the microfiber towel. Using less wax can reduce the buildup. Of course using a clean towel can help a lot too. Maybe just use a clean towel dedicated for the carbon fiber parts and don't worry so much about changing towels every 5 seconds on the silver areas.

You could also try going with a more pure sealant. NXT isn't an entirely synthetic product and that can account for the streaks. If you like the looks on silver, but still want the protection on the black, you could always try something like Klasse Sealant Glaze. I've never had any problems with that product streaking or ghosting.

Something else I've found that causes this effect is when I am waxing in the sun and the surface gets too hot. The sun itself doesn't have any affect on products from what I can tell, but when the surface of the vehicle is too hot for products to dry on, then that will create streaks no matter how clean your towel is or how synthetic your sealant is. If you are having issues with streaking when your vehicle gets heated up, then I would recommend waxing it in the shade or when your hood is cool.

The only other thing I can think of for your particular situation is that there is an issue with whatever coating the carbon fiber has on it. Is it painted or gel coated? It is possible that the products you use are just drawing out defects in the hood itself. Since you are having the same issue no matter what you use and it is only affecting your hood and nothing else, then I would say there is something wrong with the hood.

mchess1
11-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Mike P has a nice writeup on the final wipe.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/19956-final-wipe.html

If that doesn't work, then you may want to try like the others said and give up on NXT.