PDA

View Full Version : Wax - Seal - Wax//Wax - Wax - Seal

Pages : [1] 2

stevehecht
11-07-2009, 04:07 PM
I put a coat of Optimum Car Wax (OCW) on about three weeks ago. I just scored a bottle of Collinite 8465 Insulator Wax (retail!) that I'd like to put on tomorrow because it's gonna be 60+ degrees. I've just ordered Opti-Seal from AG that I will be getting at the end of the week. I know it's preferable to put the Opti-Seal under the 845 but I want to make sure I get the 845 on now (could be the last warm day, I don't have a garage). Is it a no-no to put the Opti-Seal on as LSP?

christian900se
11-07-2009, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't since the whole benefit behind using Opti-seal as a sealant is to allow it the opportunity to bond with the paint. It will not be able to bond as well to another protection product so I would not. Personally, I would either wait for Opti-seal or just go with only 845.

bmw5541
11-07-2009, 04:58 PM
I would wait for the OS as well. As long as the temps are above 50, you should be fine.

Da Fats
11-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Are there any LSP's that can be applied in the 40 - 50 degree range?

christian900se
11-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Are there any LSP's that can be applied in the 40 - 50 degree range?

Pretty much all of them. Most will work below freezing, so you don't have to worry about anything.

stevehecht
11-07-2009, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't since the whole benefit behind using Opti-seal as a sealant is to allow it the opportunity to bond with the paint. It will not be able to bond as well to another protection product so I would not. Personally, I would either wait for Opti-seal or just go with only 845.

Thanks. That sounds like a pretty good combo: OCW under OS under 845. :props:

rwisejr
11-07-2009, 06:09 PM
You can use the 845 the top it with the Optiseal without issue.845 is sealant as well .Optiseal can be used to top anything as that is how it was designed .

SRHTX
11-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Drive your vehicle down here to Deep South Texas. It's always warm. he he he

feslope
11-07-2009, 06:44 PM
This is interesting. I always thought Optiseal is a solvent. Solvents remove wax.

christian900se
11-07-2009, 06:46 PM
This is interesting. I always thought Optiseal is a solvent. Solvents remove wax.

It is, thats why it would make little sense to apply it over 845 not to mention the fact that it would do double damage to the durability of the two... OS would not bond very well and it could potentially harm the integrity of 845.

rwisejr
11-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Optiseal doesnot contain any cleaners as it is a pure sealant. Poliseal is what you maybe refering to.

feslope
11-08-2009, 10:16 AM
This is word for word quote from Optimum Tech/Opti-seal instructions.

"Opti-Seal can also be used as a base coat under Optimum Car Wax (http://www.optimumcarcare.com/owax.htm) or any other car wax."

Uncured Opti-seal is almost pure solvent and removes all wax.

rwisejr
11-08-2009, 12:05 PM
This is word for word quote from Optimum Tech/Opti-seal instructions.

"Opti-Seal can also be used as a base coat under Optimum Car Wax (http://www.optimumcarcare.com/owax.htm) or any other car wax."

Uncured Opti-seal is almost pure solvent and removes all wax.

It can also be used over a wax aswell as per Anthony Orosco. I have done it on several ocassions and works well

christian900se
11-08-2009, 12:11 PM
It can also be used over a wax aswell as per Anthony Orosco. I have done it on several ocassions and works well

Hmm, I think the main argument against using products with solvents (mostly spray sealants) is that it may degrade the wax layer underneath which would negate some of the protection and product you have already applied. However I can always stand to be corrected.

rwisejr
11-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Hmm, I think the main argument against using products with solvents (mostly spray sealants) is that it may degrade the wax layer underneath which would negate some of the protection and product you have already applied. However I can always stand to be corrected.

It was designed to be used over poliseal which contains carnuba. Normally you would be correct in that thinking. We all learn new stuff everyday as I know I do .This is what makes this stuff so fun