PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions regarding detailing a 350z

Quick5Oh
11-07-2009, 01:00 AM
Hey guys,

So I purchased a new (to me) car today and had some questions regarding things that I saw would need some touching up when I pick the vehicle up.. For reference, the car is a 2004 Nissan 350z in Silver :xyxthumbs:

First of all, I noticed there was some paint over spray on a couple pieces of the rubber trim around the front windshield. What would be the best product to remove this? There isn't too much of it, but it will bother me over time.

Next, I saw that between the side windows on the vehicle, there is a plastic (I think) piece that was swirled up. What would be the best way to remove these imperfections if it is indeed plastic? Should I use regular polish or maybe my Wolfgang plastic polishing kit? Any Z owners or anyone who has detailed one have any tips?

I think that is it for now, but if anyone has any info on the hardness of the clear that would be great as well. Just by looking at it, it seemed like a dream to detail. Nice big panels with soft lines! :buffing:

ScottB
11-07-2009, 06:17 AM
In general Nissan paint is relatively soft and easy to correct. Unfortunately my Maxima always chipped easily in highway driving too. I would clay first to try and remove the overspray as possible, it usually works. Not sure of the "plastic" thing, but if painted you can polish it. I dont know of much that removes scratches/swirls from plastic trim specifically when uncoated.

T Riddle
11-07-2009, 09:59 AM
In general Nissan paint is relatively soft and easy to correct. Unfortunately my Maxima always chipped easily in highway driving too. I would clay first to try and remove the overspray as possible, it usually works. Not sure of the "plastic" thing, but if painted you can polish it. I dont know of much that removes scratches/swirls from plastic trim specifically when uncoated.

I have used PlastX on plastic peices like you are describing with some decent results. It does take a fair amount of time though.

SouthernStyles
11-07-2009, 10:12 AM

My 07 Max is terrible about rockchips from hw driving!

Quick5Oh
11-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Yea, I've heard about the soft paint.. And with all the bad highways and big rigs where I live, it makes me nervous. Hopefully it's not too too bad..

As far as the trim, it seems like a black piece with clear plastic covering it.. I may be wrong, but thats what it sure looks like..

Quick5Oh
11-10-2009, 01:34 AM
Anyone else?

the_invisible
11-10-2009, 04:22 AM
Yea, I've heard about the soft paint.. And with all the bad highways and big rigs where I live, it makes me nervous. Hopefully it's not too too bad..

As far as the trim, it seems like a black piece with clear plastic covering it.. I may be wrong, but thats what it sure looks like..

I have used anything from ranging from UC, ScratchX, PO106FA, to PO203 on it. Use whatever polish you have available and it should be fine. Try avoiding heavy compounds to ensure a smooth finish.

Tape up the surrounding to protect the rubber and glass and polish it. This trim scratches really easily, but also not very hard to correct.

SuperSport
11-10-2009, 09:45 AM
If your bumper and/or front of hood isn't chipped up yet I would invest in a clear bra. My Z's bumper and front of hood was chipped very bad when I go it and thankfully just got it refinished.