PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs Help with Sealant/Wax Advice

Turd Ferguson
11-06-2009, 06:49 PM
I am new to Detailing and have a very basic question I have not seen answered elsewhere. I am readying my new BMW 335xi for winter in New England. I plan to wash, then clay (with Mother's clay and Mother's Showtime Instant Detailer). Then I will use P21S paintwork Cleanser to strip old wax. Finally, I will apply Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant.

Here is the question: Exactly what parts of the car do I apply the P21s and sealant to? I know enough to mask off the window areas (chrome,rubber and plastic). Do I use the P21S and sealant on the (apparently) plastic bumper portions of the car (basically everything below the headlights in the front and tail lights in the back)? What about the plastic trim piece below the doors?

I suspect the answer is so obvious that no one has asked it on the forum (I can't find the answer), so here I am asking. Thanks for any guidance.

CEE DOG
11-06-2009, 06:51 PM
When you say "plastic bumper" do you mean one that shares the same type of paint as the metalic panels?

Turd Ferguson
11-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Yes. It is the color matched plastic (?) piece that has the headlights, the license plate, etc.

CEE DOG
11-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Oops, I see it is a BMW 335xi. I wondered this myself when I polished my skybaby and I did polish it all the same. But I haven't used my machine yet. I believe the answer is yes to polishing the front end as well. Looking forward to see if anybody says to vary the technique at all... (pressure, speed, etc.)

EDIT:
I think since you are polishing the paint and NOT the material there is no difference.

EDIT: But then again! the paint they use for plastic is probably a different paint then is used on steel. I know paint usually differs between steel and alum.

Turd Ferguson
11-06-2009, 06:57 PM
For the sake of complete information, I will do this work by hand... no polisher yet (but Christmas comes).

bmw5541
11-06-2009, 07:00 PM
I have a BMW 330xi, and have used P21S GEPC often. It is a great product that you can bassically use over the entire exterior of the car. Use it on the paint, black trim around windows, glass, etc. It will give you a nice gloss and slickness.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with the DGPS.

Good luck.:xyxthumbs:

CEE DOG
11-06-2009, 07:04 PM
The sealant you can certainly apply to all of the exterior painted surfaces

Turd Ferguson
11-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Same for wax? All painted surfaces?

That is, when I wax (likely not this time around).

ScottB
11-06-2009, 09:28 PM
the paint cleanser and sealant can be used on all painted surfaces. Some use on glass and chrome also as desired.

Turd Ferguson
11-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks all for the help!

Laura
11-07-2009, 12:15 AM
I use DGPS and Fuzion (by hand) on all painted surfaces of my Audi. The one difference I've noticed about the plastic parts is static. Buffing both the sealant and wax creates enough that any light particle around will cling to the car - dust, pet hair, etc. Lightly misting my indigo mf with some QD helps, but it's not the same as the metal areas. I do a final wipe-down gently with Crystal Mist to remove any lingering dust.