PDA

View Full Version : M105 or Powergloss?

Pages : [1] 2

jake66
11-05-2009, 11:01 AM
We were polishing the 59 Impala on Tuesday evening again. After not being comletely satisfied with the PG, I odered the M105/205 combo to try since it was the latest rage. I did like how it finished down better than the PG, but we could not get the amount of swirl/scratch removal from the 105 as we could with the PG. Weird! I was surprised and disappointed a little. Maybe as a rookie 105 user, or we were doing something different or wrong, but we went back to the Menz trio. Any thoughts?

ASPHALT ROCKET
11-05-2009, 04:47 PM
We were polishing the 59 Impala on Tuesday evening again. After not being comletely satisfied with the PG, I odered the M105/205 combo to try since it was the latest rage. I did like how it finished down better than the PG, but we could not get the amount of swirl/scratch removal from the 105 as we could with the PG. Weird! I was surprised and disappointed a little. Maybe as a rookie 105 user, or we were doing something different or wrong, but we went back to the Menz trio. Any thoughts?

The PG does have more cut. What pad were you using with the 105? You will need to make a few more passes with 105 than you would with PG but the 105 finishes down better. As far as your 205 as you might have noticed also it needs to be followed up because it just doesn't have the gloss, depth or clarity that 85rd or Ultrafina has. On the other hand the 205 will clean up 105 or the marring from PG really well so you can concentrate on your final polishing stage.

jake66
11-05-2009, 05:04 PM
We sarted with an orange 5.5" ccs pad then went with the yellow 5.5" ccs pad. We then tried the 205 on a white 5.5" pad. We ended upwith the PG on a yellow pad, SIP on orange and nano on white. This seemed to work best.

We were trying to go to a two step with the 105/205, to cut out a step. Maybe 2 passes with the 105 would be better. The PG did leave some marring that the SIP took right out. A few RDS remain and may come out with some concentrated effort.

We are now trying to get as much done while the stainless trim is off, so we can begin installing the trim.

ASPHALT ROCKET
11-05-2009, 05:16 PM
One other question I forgot to ask, are you using a rotary? If you are you really should have used a wool pad with either compounds. Then go over it with 205 or might have to go over it with 105 and a white pad. Then you could have moved on to say 85rd since you have the Menzerna products. I don't understand why you were trying to do this in a two step process, if it needs 3/4 steps it needs 3/4 steps. I think you were disappointed because you were not matching the pads and products correctly and trying to do something that needed more than two steps in two steps. You can not blame the polishes if you do not give them a chance to work correctly in the correct situation.

jake66
11-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Alldone Tuesday with an old model Griots DA, we also have a PC. No rotary at this time, although I would like to get one to learn, but not on this paint. I think we were trying to rush the process. This car is just so long and black and curvy and black. But, what we have done so far looks fabulous compared to where we started.

ASPHALT ROCKET
11-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Very cool, as long as you made a difference than that is all you can ask for. You have found out how hard it is to get a da to do correction work.

CTS-Veo
11-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Can you use a DA polisher on Ultrafine? The instructions say it's for rotary use only, but has anyone tried it on a DA?

ASPHALT ROCKET
11-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Can you use a DA polisher on Ultrafine? The instructions say it's for rotary use only, but has anyone tried it on a DA?

Never tried it and from using it I do not think it will produce the results that it should. If using a da I would go with 85rd.

Rsurfer
11-05-2009, 10:02 PM
I have and you can, but you won't get the results as with a rotary. You can't compare 6000opm to 1800rpm.

Rsurfer
11-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Alldone Tuesday with an old model Griots DA, we also have a PC. No rotary at this time, although I would like to get one to learn, but not on this paint. I think we were trying to rush the process. This car is just so long and black and curvy and black. But, what we have done so far looks fabulous compared to where we started.
You need to use the KBM when using a pc with 105. Using a rotary is a different procedure.

ASPHALT ROCKET
11-05-2009, 10:30 PM
You need to use the KBM when using a pc with 105. Using a rotary is a different procedure.

That really doesn't work that well all of time anyway.

Rsurfer
11-06-2009, 12:22 AM
That really doesn't work that well all of time anyway.True Dana, but not priming the pad with a pc will not cut it or he will have to make twice the passes. Non diminishing abbrasives need to cut evenly unlike diminishing abbrasives that need to break down. I know you know this, but I'm just posting this for the benefit of the op. Now go to bed son.

ASPHALT ROCKET
11-06-2009, 12:25 AM
True Dana, but not priming the pad with a pc will not cut it or he will have to make twice the passes. Non diminishing abbrasives need to cut evenly unlike diminishing abbrasives that need to break down. I know you know this, but I'm just posting this for the benefit of the op. Now go to bed son.

I have learned alot from you and off to bed I go. I don't want to make you mad and leave me out of your will.:dblthumb2:

evilwrx
11-06-2009, 08:09 AM
The PG does have more cut. What pad were you using with the 105? You will need to make a few more passes with 105 than you would with PG but the 105 finishes down better. As far as your 205 as you might have noticed also it needs to be followed up because it just doesn't have the gloss, depth or clarity that 85rd or Ultrafina has. On the other hand the 205 will clean up 105 or the marring from PG really well so you can concentrate on your final polishing stage.

Sorry to take this a little bit off topic, I have some XMT Swirl Remover #1, would that also help the level of depth and clarity similar to the 85rd or Ultrafina? I am using a PC. TIA

jake66
11-06-2009, 10:17 AM
We were priming the pads with product, then applied a circle of product, spread around and polished at speed 6 on Griots with moderate pressure for 3 to 4 passes. A spritz of water helped befor 3-4 passes with lighter pressure. I have spent a lot more time reading about paint polishing than actually doing it, but I am learning a lot as we go. My BIL also is in more of a hurry to "get it done" rather than get it right. He has done most of the polishing so far due to time and logistics (I live 20 miles from the shop where the car is). It would be nice to have a true professional on sight for supervision and tutoring. I appreciate all the help from AsphaltRocket, RSurfer and all the pros on this site.