PDA

View Full Version : Pad centers getting soft

qship5
11-04-2009, 10:21 PM
I've noticed that the center sections of some of my pads are getting softer than the rest of the pad and they seem to be slightly collapsed. Is this normal wear or is this caused by something I'm doing when using the pads? I normally use one pad through an entire vehicle, although I do clean it once or twice during the process.

ASPHALT ROCKET
11-04-2009, 10:54 PM
I've noticed that the center sections of some of my pads are getting softer than the rest of the pad and they seem to be slightly collapsed. Is this normal wear or is this caused by something I'm doing when using the pads? I normally use one pad through an entire vehicle, although I do clean it once or twice during the process.

Sounds like you are using a pc. It is just from using pressure, the center of the pad takes most of the pressure.

builthatch
11-04-2009, 11:48 PM
i've found that if you apply too much pressure, or the machine is running hot, the backing plate will transfer alot of heat to the pad, and the center of the pad will actually disintegrate underneath the velcro backer. it will leave the center feeling soft because half of the pad is now confetti being retained by a thin portion (layer) of the foam pad.

NotZeroSix
11-05-2009, 01:28 AM
With a Dual Action Polisher, heat is trapped between the backing plate's Velcro and the pad. Also the combination of dual action stresses out the backing plate. Thats why its common to see members on this forum claiming backing plate failures.

With a Direct Drive Polisher (Rotary), heat is located between the pad and the surface of the paint. Too much polishing in one area can literally burn the paint faster that a DA can. Thats why other members on this forum avoid enthusiast from using a rotary.

qship5
11-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the insight. I am using DA polishers. (PC and Flex) Will using a pad for a shorter period of time by rotating through 2 or 3 of them for a car reduce this effect? That way the pad would not be sujected to as much of the heat that apparently breaks down the foam.

ASPHALT ROCKET
11-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the insight. I am using DA polishers. (PC and Flex) Will using a pad for a shorter period of time by rotating through 2 or 3 of them for a car reduce this effect? That way the pad would not be sujected to as much of the heat that apparently breaks down the foam.

Having a few more pads while working on a vehicle will reduce any damage to the pad.

builthatch
11-05-2009, 05:33 PM

as mentioned, the heat that is being transferred IMO stems from too much pressure; the machine works harder and it's just a domino effect from that point forward.

i dunno if you are aware of this little tidbit, so i'll throw it out there-

put a line with a sharpie on the yellow portion of the backing plate, a line that goes from the edge toward the center.

when polishing, make sure this line is spinning. it should be easy to see. if the line stops or spins slowly, you are using too much pressure. for what it's worth, the only time i ever had your problem occur is when i first started using a PC. when i finally realized that i was not only inhibiting the polishing action and effectiveness of the polisher, but also heating up backing plates and destroying pads, so i backed the heck off and used the line technique. had no issues after that.