PDA

View Full Version : Bad Glass. Help.

jmad
09-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Yep you read it right. I posted on a different forum for the bad gas. Anyway, any suggestions for glass that has been hit by sprinklers and been baked (for a few years.) I've tried DP glass polish. No luck the glass is really etched. I don't have an electric buffer so I only did it by hand, but I buffed as hard as I could.

thanks for any help

Joel

abrcrombe
09-30-2006, 03:48 PM
http://www.autogeek.net/waterspots.html

http://www.autogeek.net/dp515.html
http://www.autogeek.net/diglclsykit.html

Surfer
09-30-2006, 05:12 PM
The only thing I found that worked on baked on waterspots for a few years (happened to my suv especially where teh wipers don't wipe), was #0000 steel wool and Klasse AIO. Very long process but worth it, DP Glass restorer and others didn't touch any of the spots, only worked on fresher spots like from a rain a few days before etc. I talked to a few people who used the Diamondite system and it still didn't work as well as the steel wool and AIO.

Use a little AIO and rub with the steel wool with moderate pressure, you'll feel it picking away at the etchings. Just don't do sideview mirros as it can scratch the reflective coating.

P1et
09-30-2006, 05:29 PM
How about a little clay?

FloridaNative
09-30-2006, 05:30 PM
:iagree: with Surfer. If the Glass Restorer doesn't do it for you then the #0000 steel wool and AIO. :) Good luck

supercharged
09-30-2006, 06:00 PM
Yep you read it right. I posted on a different forum for the bad gas. Anyway, any suggestions for glass that has been hit by sprinklers and been baked (for a few years.) I've tried DP glass polish. No luck the glass is really etched. I don't have an electric buffer so I only did it by hand, but I buffed as hard as I could.

thanks for any help

Joel
:confused:

Surfer
09-30-2006, 06:50 PM
:iagree: with Surfer. If the Glass Restorer doesn't do it for you then the #0000 steel wool and AIO. :) Good luckGirls always agree with me:D

P1et - clay won't do anything unless it's a fresh spot, and honestly, if you have a fresh spots (ffew days/weeks maybe old) any good qd'er with cleaning properties will rid them. But spots that have been on for months and years, you have two choices, AIO and Steel Wool, or replace the glass unfortunetley.

FloridaNative
09-30-2006, 07:02 PM
:confused:

It must have been broccoli, cauliflower and bean night! :p

jmad
09-30-2006, 07:56 PM
all of the above. thanks for advice. Do you think 0000 and the Dp stuff would work. I kind of hate to buy more product.

Thanks

Surfer
09-30-2006, 07:59 PM
all of the above. thanks for advice. Do you think 0000 and the Dp stuff would work. I kind of hate to buy more product.

ThanksI tried and it kinda gummed up the steel wool. AIO works really well with steel wool. I tried Vinegar as well and had some kinda chemical reaction lol, b/c of the wool starting to turn red and dust this rust color'd powder.

ScottB
09-30-2006, 08:07 PM
are you sure the spots are not mineral deposits ?? Although I would not usually suggest it. Try wiping a small area with CLR ... if it removes the spots its likely rust from the sprinkler system.

jmad
09-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the info. Tried the DP with the 0000... nothing. Gonna try the other stuff before maybe replacing the glass. Wife doesn't care if it gets better, but it's driving me crazy.

jm

Surfer
10-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the info. Tried the DP with the 0000... nothing. Gonna try the other stuff before maybe replacing the glass. Wife doesn't care if it gets better, but it's driving me crazy.

jmKAIO and #0000 steel wool will work, but it's a long process. At least on my suv it was, took almost the whole day to do most of the truck. I would say 90% of the waterspots are gone now, still some etching that I could remove but it's barely noticeable so....

Padron
10-01-2006, 12:57 PM

LOL, Too Funny!!

supercharged
10-01-2006, 02:54 PM
I guess so :D .