PDA

View Full Version : Appliing LSP in Layers

sullysdetailing
11-02-2009, 03:02 PM
When using waxes like M16 and Pinnacle Liquid Souveran how long should I wait inbetween coats?

Rsurfer
11-02-2009, 05:12 PM
It depends on a lot of things, is it garaged, climate, how many washes, etc. M16 should go 8-12 weeks and LS should last 6-8 weeks. Do a beading test after washing.

Matt
11-02-2009, 05:16 PM
For layering waxes, it's more about letting the solvents evaporate rather than letting them cure.

You need the solvents to evaporate fully otherwise when you stick your next coat of wax on, the remaining solvents in the original layer and the solvents in the new layer will combine to overpower the first layer of wax and make it blend with the second layer.

This will mean that you will have the same effect as if you had just applied a really thick layer of wax, which we all know isn't beneficial.

With a wax, since it doesn't need any curing, you can hose it down with water to remove the solvents and allow the wax to set straight after you've buffed the haze off.

sullysdetailing
11-04-2009, 11:57 AM
I was doing a paint correction on a brand new 2008 white STI. Normally white cars dont have to many swirls but let me tell you this car was hacked. It sat on the lot for about a year and I dont think it was waxed onced.

I used Flex Lightweight and LC Hrdo cutting pad and M105 fallowed by my PC and orange LC with M105 and PC with White LC and M205. I applied Liquid Souveran with a Red LC pad and PC. Let me tell you the car came out amazing. L.S on a white car is amazing. I and going back tomorrow to wash the car and apply another coat of L.S by hand. I have all the before picture on my camera I will upload the beofre and after tomorrow

Rsurfer
11-04-2009, 08:50 PM
I was doing a paint correction on a brand new 2008 white STI. Normally white cars dont have to many swirls but let me tell you this car was hacked. It sat on the lot for about a year and I dont think it was waxed onced.

I used Flex Lightweight and LC Hrdo cutting pad and M105 fallowed by my PC and orange LC with M105 and PC with White LC and M205. I applied Liquid Souveran with a Red LC pad and PC. Let me tell you the car came out amazing. L.S on a white car is amazing. I and going back tomorrow to wash the car and apply another coat of L.S by hand. I have all the before picture on my camera I will upload the beofre and after tomorrow
I agree that LS is amazing on white. However, I beleive it's a waste of time and product to layer LS as the next layer will only remove the previous. This is especially true of liquid waxes because of the solvent content to keep the nuba liquid. Why not just use Cystal Mist after the wash.

ASPHALT ROCKET
11-04-2009, 08:58 PM
I agree that LS is amazing on white. However, I beleive it's a waste of time and product to layer LS as the next layer will only remove the previous. This is especially true of liquid waxes because of the solvent content to keep the nuba liquid. Why not just use Cystal Mist after the wash.

Perfectly put Dad.:dblthumb2:

Harleyguy
11-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Perfectly put Dad.:dblthumb2:Im the MANIm the MANIm the MAN

Bradshaw
11-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Im not convinced products really layer at all, wax or sealant.

sullysdetailing
11-04-2009, 10:16 PM
I will have to try the crystal mist tomorrow. I will post the pictures tomorrow :)

Tesla
11-04-2009, 10:58 PM

I'm confused. Is this true for sealants as well?

Lets say I use sealant X and I'm putting on a second layer to ensure uniform coverage, not layering per se, will my second layer remove my first?

sullysdetailing
11-04-2009, 11:01 PM
He was talking about Liquid Waxs. Using a "paste" wax you can apply a second layer in an hour. Fo example appling Natty Blue then Natty Red.

Sealant you have to wait 8-12 hours for it to cure then either apply another layer or a wax.

Rsurfer
11-04-2009, 11:14 PM
He was talking about Liquid Waxs. Using a "paste" wax you can apply a second layer in an hour. Fo example appling Natty Blue then Natty Red.

Sealant you have to wait 8-12 hours for it to cure then either apply another layer or a wax.
I think he meant that applying another layer of liquid or paste shortly after the first will only remove the previous. So, the end results is that you are not layering. The only true way of layering a nuba is to spit shine. Cold water and wax over and over.

ASPHALT ROCKET
11-05-2009, 12:53 AM
I think he meant that applying another layer of liquid or paste shortly after the first will only remove the previous. So, the end results is that you are not layering. The only true way of layering a nuba is to spit shine. Cold water and wax over and over.

You are on fire tonight Dad.:dblthumb2:

Da Fats
11-05-2009, 01:42 AM
Now i am confused :) so a liquid you cant layer... but a paste nuba (poor boys or sov) you can wax, do a cold water spritz, rewax, respritz, rewax .... does this work with waxes like Max wax and fuzion or the guys in the collinite line up that are blended? Feed back please

TIA

Chris

Rsurfer
11-05-2009, 02:37 AM
Now i am confused :) so a liquid you cant layer... but a paste nuba (poor boys or sov) you can wax, do a cold water spritz, rewax, respritz, rewax .... does this work with waxes like Max wax and fuzion or the guys in the collinite line up that are blended? Feed back please

TIA

ChrisAny nuba should work with the spit shine method. Not sure about blended nubas like Fusion which has some polymers. Other nubas with fillers should work fine. Honestly, I don't think its worth the effort. Spit shinning a pair of boots takes hours, imagine the panels of a car 1000 X larger.