PDA

View Full Version : Wax over Sealant

Pages : [1] 2 3

ZmZoom6
09-30-2006, 12:37 PM
So I'm getting ready to wash my car, and I don't feel like sealing it today. It's already got a coat of ExP, and I was just wondering if I can wax it instead? Or should I strip everything down first?

bluzman
09-30-2006, 12:46 PM
YOu can put a coat of wax on it. But you wont be able to add anymore EXP. Waxes over top sealants is ok. Sealants over waxes is not ok.

ZmZoom6
09-30-2006, 12:49 PM
yeah that I know, I'll prob. just strip it another time to do it all over again

bluzman
09-30-2006, 12:55 PM
just add a coat of wax and go with it. If your luck is anything like mine it will probably rain on it soon anyways!! :)

P1et
09-30-2006, 01:49 PM
No sealants over wax? Hmm.

How about sealing it once a month and waxing it once a month?

abrcrombe
09-30-2006, 03:07 PM
You don't need to seal that often. Sealants last 3 months and longer. Waxing every month definitely is a good idea though. Then reseal if need be every 3 months and start the process over.

P1et
09-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks Abrcombe. The reason I asked is because I like sealing a lot better than waxing. With EX-P, it's just so easy.

So with "start the process over", do you mean clay, polish, seal, wax? Or just seal, then add more wax on top of that?

ScottB
09-30-2006, 05:44 PM
why not just use EXP .... nobody says you have to top it. Then use the Poorboys Spray/Gloss to amp up the gloss after each wash.

FloridaNative
09-30-2006, 05:53 PM
why not just use EXP .... nobody says you have to top it. Then use the Poorboys Spray/Gloss to amp up the gloss after each wash.

:iagree: if you like sealant better then why wax?? If you leave your sealant untopped you can add another coat whenever you want to without having to strip anything.

Darren F
10-01-2006, 11:12 AM
why cant you top wax with a sealant

BILL
10-01-2006, 11:28 AM
:iagree: if you like sealant better then why wax?? If you leave your sealant untopped you can add another coat whenever you want to without having to strip anything.

BINGO.........:applause:

P1et
10-01-2006, 12:57 PM
So why do we wax then? What does wax do that a sealant does not do?

abrcrombe
10-01-2006, 01:17 PM
P1et - when I say start the process over, I just mean reapply the sealant and wax. If you have been washing correctly, you shouldn't need to polish since there will be no new swirls. And we wax because most of the time a sealant can't duplicate the depth and warmth of a good carnuba wax. Show me a sealant that can do this to black.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/ralphlauren.jpg

Yes, sealants are getting better, and yes about 90% of it is preparation, but wax really sets it off.

And Darren - you can't put a sealant over a wax because a sealant has to properly bond to the surface, and it needs a clean slate to do that. Wax does not allow bonding in most cases.

ZmZoom6
10-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Bluzman, the morning after I had sealed my car w/ ExP it rained (ironic huh?). Anyway, I'll prob. just stick with ExP b/c it is easy to use, and I can always layer it. If I use Nattys or another wax, I'll have to strip it.

Thanks everyone

Darren F
10-01-2006, 02:04 PM
so if you use a sealant and then wax, then decide a month later you want to reapply the sealant, you need to polish again to prep the paint properly?