PDA

View Full Version : LSP: Tried many - I just don't see a difference!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

mdgrwl
11-02-2009, 10:32 AM
So I've been a little wax crazy over the last 6 months (just got a new Lexus IS350 6 months ago, color Metallic Dark Charcoal) and tried all sorts of products on it.

I would clay, use Wolfgang Paintwork Polish enhancer before each wax to prep the paint and here's what I've tried so far.

Pinnacle Sig Series II
Pinnacle Souveran
Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3.0
Max Wax
Wofgang Fuzion (whats on there now).

The good thing is they all look great. The bad thing is they all loog great! lol...

I just don't see a stinking difference and I would like to think I have a pretty discerning eye. If anything, there are SUPER SUPER Subtle difference at VERY VERY best... but I'm starting to think that thats even placebo.

Love waxing my car, but I think I'm getting sick of spending the cash for SUPER MINOR differences that go away after the first rain or wash anyway. I'm so tempted to try Swissvax Concorso & Supernatural but my reasoning side of me think its just going to be a waste of $400 cuz I just wont see the difference.

Anyway, just venting and wanted your thoughts on the matter? Thanks!

CharlesW
11-02-2009, 10:53 AM
You figured it out quicker than many of us. :D
When using good products and boy there sure is a lot of them, it is often said that it is 90% process and 10% product.
If you are happy with the results, that's all that matters. :xyxthumbs:

I saw a signature line a short time back that was something like:
Do you want to use what someone else likes or what you like.

I thought that was very well put.

mdgrwl
11-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Yeah man! lol... I don't think I'm ever going to buy another expensive high end LSP again, ala Fuzion.

I see the same results with my $20 dollar Max Wax... the super super small subtle difference that go away after the first wash or rain just doesnt' justify the extra money spent... the difference are SOOO subtle, and I'm not even sure there really there at all, i think its my mind telling me what I'm supposed to think such and such wax will do.

Think I'm just sticking with the $50 dollar waxes from here on out. Although I'm still probably going to break down my will and get Swissvax Concorso just cuz I'm that impulsive, lol... but after that, and when I don't see the difference again, I'm going to never buy a wax again. I aready have a healthy stock that should last me the rest of my life! lol...

dublifecrisis
11-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I kinda think the same as you. That said, I've never forked over the big bucks for Souveran, Fuzion, etc but I do have 8-10 other waxes/sealants on my shelf. I DO see a clear difference between synthetic sealant type LSP's vs. a carnauba paste wax so that's where the preference comes in for me.

Some might argue that there isn't much of a visible difference between pre LSP vs post LSP (speaking of when you polish the paint). Sure you can feel the difference with you hand and see beading after a rain but a just polished finish looks pretty darn close to just waxed IMO.

LSP to me is mostly about protection, preventive maintenance etc rather than looks.

CharlesW
11-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Yeah man! lol... I don't think I'm ever going to buy another expensive high end LSP again, ala Fuzion.

I see the same results with my $20 dollar Max Wax... the super super small subtle difference that go away after the first wash or rain just doesnt' justify the extra money spent... the difference are SOOO subtle, and I'm not even sure there really there at all, i think its my mind telling me what I'm supposed to think such and such wax will do.

Think I'm just sticking with the $50 dollar waxes from here on out. Although I'm still probably going to break down my will and get Swissvax Concorso just cuz I'm that impulsive, lol... but after that, and when I don't see the difference again, I'm going to never buy a wax again. I aready have a healthy stock that should last me the rest of my life! lol...You lost me there. :)
Same results from the $20 wax, but you're going to continue buying $50 waxes.
Do you have some reason behind that decision?

Tesla
11-02-2009, 11:52 AM
The good thing is they all look great. The bad thing is they all loog great! lol...

I just don't see a stinking difference and I would like to think I have a pretty discerning eye. If anything, there are SUPER SUPER Subtle difference at VERY VERY best... but I'm starting to think that thats even placebo.

I'm with you!

I've tried products from the least expensive OTC type LSP, to Fuzion, Souveran, Victoria's Red, P21s etc... and I've never been able to tell the difference. They all look great but I can't SEE a difference. Often, I can feel a difference and some are easier to use than others, which became the basis for picking certain products over others.

mchess1
11-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Well for me, using an LSP comes down to 4 things.

Price
Looks
Ease of use
Durability/protection

You seem to have eliminated looks and price doesn't seem to be a concern if you are considering Swisswax.

So I would concentrate on ease of use and durability. As Mike P says, find something you like and use it often. I, too, have been sometimes caught up in finding the next great thing when what I have in my garage works just fine.

I would also guess that either your paint is in superb condition and/or your pre-LSP prep is the key in not seeing a big difference. So consider yourself lucky and go admire / have others admire your beautiful car.

LincolnZephyr2006
11-02-2009, 12:25 PM
I can care less about wax... I will stick with the 20-40 dollar waxes. It is all about the cutting and polishing process...

DARK HORSE
11-02-2009, 01:10 PM
You figured it out quicker than many of us. :D
When using good products and boy there sure is a lot of them, it is often said that it is 90% process and 10% product.
If you are happy with the results, that's all that matters. :xyxthumbs:

I saw a signature line a short time back that was something like:
Do you want to use what someone else likes or what you like.

I thought that was very well put.

:iagree:
Also if you really want something else to chew on try some MaxWax for only 30.00. I use Souveran but have also tried the MAXWAX and all I can say is umm...

Tesla
11-02-2009, 02:15 PM
I can care less about wax... I will stick with the 20-40 dollar waxes. It is all about the cutting and polishing process...

Good point!

It's like giving a top detailing pro a car with all of their polishes and a $10 lsp vs. some shmuck with no detailing knowledge and some zymol vintage. My bet would be the top pro would have the better looking car at the end of the day.

gsxr310
11-02-2009, 02:20 PM
speaking of lsp, how do you determine the durability/protection factor? by the beads of water?

mdgrwl
11-02-2009, 02:21 PM
You lost me there. :)
Same results from the $20 wax, but you're going to continue buying $50 waxes.
Do you have some reason behind that decision?

What I meant is I'll stick with the 'cheaper' range waxed, $20 - $50 range and never spend the $100 to $175 again.

No need to get hyper over analytical.

tims04gto
11-02-2009, 02:21 PM
i just got the wolfgang fuzion as a gift, i like it but i do agree with you guys its alot for a wax when you really cant tell a big difference. As long as it is a good quality product and works for you then thats what counts.

MisterShark
11-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Uh oh. I think I hear Fuzion going on super fire sale :laughing:

The emperor has no clothes!

jpegs13
11-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Personally, I like having 20 different waxes to choose from. It's like opening the liquor closet and choosing between the scotch, vodka or gin. In the end they all work, it's just a matter of how you get there.