PDA

View Full Version : Leaf blower or Drying towel?

Pages : [1] 2

cobraa
11-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Considering the fact a drying towel cost me approx. 20$ with tax and shipping and a leaf blower can be found for 40$.

Which one work better? A drying towel like ( Meg's Water magnet) take me around 15 minutes to dry the car. Would a blower tale less time or more?

Finemess
11-01-2009, 07:46 PM
I paid less than $20 for my blower on Ebay. I have a truck and it has lots of places for water to hide. I like to use the blower and follow up with a MF. Works great on aftermarket wheels also. They are a PITA to dry by hand.

Fred114
11-01-2009, 07:51 PM
The thing I like most about drying with a leaf blower is it can blow water out of crevices and out from under trim work etc... I will follow up with a micro fiber just dabbing some areas that might need some more drying or if I am applying spray wax afterwards. Also, nothing dries tires and wheels like a leaf blower. I picked one up from Wallyworld for less than 30 dollars. :xyxthumbs:

whitemopar
11-01-2009, 07:51 PM
alot of members here chose to use leaf blowers however i find that the bulk of my drying is quicker with a guzzler. the leaf blower dose work but i feel it takes a bit longer. If your looking for a way to fast track your drying pick up a water blade.

Calais
11-01-2009, 08:20 PM
If your looking for a way to fast track your drying pick up a water blade.

I've heard of many people on other forums experiencing marring from water blades. I've never used one but I've been very happy with using a plush towel followed by a Meg's Water Magnet.

I now have a shop vac with a very powerful blower option so I may begin using that to blow water out from all the various trim on my car, I've been using compressed air cans up until now.

VISITOR
11-01-2009, 08:21 PM
buy both (leaf blower isn't going to be a complete means of drying). you can purchase a good leaf blower at walmart for less than $30, and combine that with a quality waffle weave and/or microfiber drying towel, and you are good... :props:

Walmart.com: Weed Eater WEB150 Electric Blower: Lawn & Garden (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4910793)

killrflake
11-01-2009, 09:21 PM
I have a Sears shop vac that has 6 hp and a removeable top that becomes a very powerful blower. This along with a good waffle weave towel is the way I go. Trying to get all the water with the blower is next to impossible, and thats where the towel does a nice job of finishing it off.

DARK HORSE
11-01-2009, 10:04 PM
I paid less than $20 for my blower on Ebay. I have a truck and it has lots of places for water to hide. I like to use the blower and follow up with a MF. Works great on aftermarket wheels also. They are a PITA to dry by hand.

The thing I like most about drying with a leaf blower is it can blow water out of crevices and out from under trim work etc... I will follow up with a micro fiber just dabbing some areas that might need some more drying or if I am applying spray wax afterwards. Also, nothing dries tires and wheels like a leaf blower. I picked one up from Wallyworld for less than 30 dollars. :xyxthumbs:

:iagree:
The leaf blower is great for getting water out of crevices that if not removed will come out and water spot later. I find the best method for me is to first go over the entire car with my leaf blower paying special attention to crevices, trim, mirrors, windows, badges, lights and tail lights, wheels, etc. (the place water likes to hide). Follow that up by going around the car with a high quality waffle weave MF and a good QD. FK-425 works great as it will remove any water spots and has a lot of lubricants to help aid in preventing micro-scratching.

alot of members here chose to use leaf blowers however i find that the bulk of my drying is quicker with a guzzler. the leaf blower dose work but i feel it takes a bit longer. If your looking for a way to fast track your drying pick up a water blade.

I would be very cautious of the water blade, I have heard horror stories of people not using them correctly, or a particle getting stuck to the surgical grade plastic and scratching the @$#% out of their vehicle. I would not use one; however drying time is not an issue for me. I'm kind of anal

I've heard of many people on other forums experiencing marring from water blades. I've never used one but I've been very happy with using a plush towel followed by a Meg's Water Magnet.

I now have a shop vac with a very powerful blower option so I may begin using that to blow water out from all the various trim on my car, I've been using compressed air cans up until now.

Just my opinion; but I would not use something to blow air across my paint that also sucks in dirt. What if some microscopic particles get blown back out? There are a lot of subsystem components in a vac and blow where particles can hide and dislodge later. I use a dedicated leaf blower that gets used for nothing except my vehicles. I store it in the house and I'm very careful to keep the area around the impeller (air intake) from being exposed to dirt or debris (I set it on a clean towel). I always let it run for several seconds before I aim it at the car. Always dry the vehicle from front to back and top to bottom. Be careful not to angle the blower down towards the ground or you may make a mess and have to start over.

unclestu
11-01-2009, 10:16 PM
The leaf blower is great for getting water out of crevices that if not removed will come out and water spot later. I find the best method for me is to first go over the entire car with my leaf blower paying special attention to crevices, trim, mirrors, windows, badges, lights and tail lights, wheels, etc. (the place water likes to hide). Follow that up by going around the car with a high quality waffle weave MF and a good QD. FK-425 works great as it will remove any water spots and has a lot of lubricants to help aid in preventing micro-scratching.

I would be very cautious of the water blade, I have heard horror stories of people not using them correctly, or a particle getting stuck to the surgical grade plastic and scratching the @$#% out of their vehicle. I would not use one; however drying time is not an issue for me. I'm kind of anal

Just my opinion; but I would not use something to blow air across my paint that also sucks in dirt. What if some microscopic particles get blown back out? There are a lot of subsystem components in a vac and blow where particles can hide and dislodge later. I use a dedicated leaf blower that gets used for nothing except my vehicles. I store it in the house and I'm very careful to keep the area around the impeller (air intake) from being exposed to dirt or debris (I set it on a clean towel). I always let it run for several seconds before I aim it at the car. Always dry the vehicle from front to back and top to bottom. Be careful not to angle the blower down towards the ground or you may make a mess and have to start over.

Tad it's as if you read my mind :iagree::dblthumb2:

CEE DOG
11-01-2009, 10:51 PM
I too love being able to blow out the crevices!! I always have to follow up with a towel. One thing to keep in mind if following up the blower with a towel. There are times when some grit in one of those crevices (that you couldn't reach with your mitt and didn't rinse out) can blow out onto the car. When you follow up with the towel you could scratch.

Lately I mostly find myself just using the towels. After I'm all done I wait about 1 hour with the doors open and qd the places where water seeps out. Then I have to do it again another hour or 2 later.

DARK HORSE
11-01-2009, 11:03 PM
I too love being able to blow out the crevices!! I always have to follow up with a towel. One thing to keep in mind if following up the blower with a towel. There are times when some grit in one of those crevices (that you couldn't reach with your mitt and didn't rinse out) can blow out onto the car. When you follow up with the towel you could scratch.

Lately I mostly find myself just using the towels. After I'm all done I wait about 1 hour with the doors open and qd the places where water seeps out. Then I have to do it again another hour or 2 later.

Good point CEE DOG, something to definitely remember. Thanx!

RLove
11-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Water Blade
Air Compressor with blow gun attached
Absorber/Towel to finish

I've used a leaf blower when I'm in a big hurry but the thought of what's coming out of it at high speed does worry me.

ScottB
11-02-2009, 05:43 PM
you need both (towel and blower) IMO ....

Pats300zx
11-02-2009, 06:12 PM
I use both all the time. It's a no brainer :)

julian
11-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Since I started using the elect. blower, then the q/d with m/f over a year ago, I haven't looked back. Use it like your washing, work your way from the top and aim down.