PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong???

bigdawg
11-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Im using the pc with ssr2.5 with a orange pad and ssr1 with a white pad. I have wathced the how to videos and when they are working the product in it dosent look like there is no excess or dust from the product. Just a nice clean work aera. When I start it is nice and clean but after 3 passes ( left then right = 1 pass ) I start to get what looks like splatter but its dry all over other panels of the car. I start out at 3.5 to spred and then go up to 4.5 -5. Im only using a small amount of ssr. about the size of your thumb. The pads are brand new took out of bag today and so was the ssr.

Thanks for taking time to read and .Feed back please
Bigdawg

Da Fats
11-01-2009, 03:11 AM
You should wash the pads once before using. I think its foam balls coming out of the pad that you are experiencing. Others can Chim in but I think I might have had the same problem when I first started.

detaildave
11-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Take your pad cleaning brush tool & run it over the new pad to remove any minor defects & to smooth out the pad surface using a 3-4 setting & no product. New pads will soak up (sponge effect) more of your product. I would add extra product for the "Maiden Voyage" so to speak, to ensure your working with a Wet Pad, better to be a little wet than dry. Now spread the product onto the work area 18" x 18" or no more than 2' x 2' aka Test area with the pc in the off position. Then on my lowest setting (1) I work / spread the product in the test area before adjusting the dial setting up to the (4) mode to begin working the product in to the test area to see if I'm making any progress to correct the test area. Without any detail info on what your goal is, I can only assume your compounding with the orange pad? I certainly don't claim to be a pad Pro & I'm sure the Pro's will add /chime in here to help you. To me it sounds like you didn't have enough product on the new pad, the pad Soaked up the small amount of product & your setting to spread /"work in" the product actually dried the product out & that's why your seeing the dried splatter. I hope I've helped in some small way. Also if you have a camera, I would suggest taking some pic's & posting them so the Pro's here can see your approach & technique. I have found this site to be extremely helpful & regard it as a Reference Guide often. Practice is helpful, but Perfect Practice will make you better. I wish you the best & I'm sure you'll find all the help here you will need.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
11-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Heres a good thread to show you the proper amount to use and how long to work it :xyxthumbs:

SSR2.5 ...proper amount to use - DetailCity.org - Auto Detailing & Car Detailing Forum (http://www.detailcity.org/forums/poorboysworld-com-sponsored-forum/14287-ssr2-5-proper-amount-use.html)

unclestu
11-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I have found in my brief experience in machine polishing that I was able to avoid this problem by applying a few sprays of pad conditioner to the dry pad prior to applying polish.

bigdawg
11-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the help everybody. I think I need to use more product. I will give it a try and you guys know..:xyxthumbs:

christian900se
11-01-2009, 03:47 PM
I agree with Stu: it will help cut the dust down a bit and also to prime the pad more effectively.

sullysdetailing
11-01-2009, 05:09 PM
You should be cleaning you pads after 1-2 sections. This will help with the dusting.