PDA

View Full Version : Rinseless washing in the cold?

CharlesW
10-31-2009, 10:02 PM
Anyone have comments on their results when using rinseless washes in a cold ambient on a cold vehicle?
I have used them a lot in cold weather, but the washing was always done in my garage with heat and the temperature has always been in the 60+ range.
What happens if the temperature is in the 40s? How about in the 30s?
Other than physical discomfort, is it possible to do the wash as long as it is warm enough that the wash solution doesn't freeze on the vehicle?

loudog2
10-31-2009, 11:21 PM
I add hot water to the bucket. Just enough to make it warm.

Matt
11-01-2009, 04:08 AM
An idea popped into my head just now....

To keep the solution from freezing in the bucket, you could probably try insulating the bucket....get some offcuts of Hot Water Cylinder insulation wrap and tape it on the outside, you could even wrap the insulation in plastic first then attach it so it would be shielded from the water.

Or, maybe a sort of hotplate heated stone thing for under the bucket..........maybe not hahaha

Infact, people are always talking about the packing peanuts that come with your AG order, you could wrap some plastic around the outside of the bucket, put the peanuts in between the plastic and bucket and tape the top closed......

Might help, maybe it'll stay at least a comfortable tempature for the whole wash.....

CharlesW
11-01-2009, 07:51 AM
I add hot water to the bucket. Just enough to make it warm.LOL Thanks.
I already use hot water year round.
It not only is more comfortable, (to me), I also think it does a better job of cleaning.

MoBenzOwner
11-01-2009, 07:53 AM
LOL Thanks.
I already use hot water year round.
It not only is more comfortable, (to me), I also think it does a better job of cleaning.

I agree, and do the same. I however would call the water I use warm, not really hot,hot.

CharlesW
11-01-2009, 07:59 AM
An idea popped into my head just now....

To keep the solution from freezing in the bucket, you could probably try insulating the bucket....get some offcuts of Hot Water Cylinder insulation wrap and tape it on the outside, you could even wrap the insulation in plastic first then attach it so it would be shielded from the water.

Or, maybe a sort of hotplate heated stone thing for under the bucket..........maybe not hahaha

Infact, people are always talking about the packing peanuts that come with your AG order, you could wrap some plastic around the outside of the bucket, put the peanuts in between the plastic and bucket and tape the top closed......

Might help, maybe it'll stay at least a comfortable tempature for the whole wash.....Thanks.
If the solution will freeze in the bucket, it's probably going to freeze on the vehicle.
I'm thinking of temperatures at least above freezing.

I probably wouldn't use one, but if you are serious about keeping the water warm, bucket heaters are used for livestock water buckets and they might work. They must be reasonably safe, but I don't think I want to stick my hand in a bucket with an electric heater in it.
Maybe you could use a hair dryer to heat each panel so the water doesn't freeze before you can dry it. :)

Or maybe not. :D

Matt
11-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks.
If the solution will freeze in the bucket, it's probably going to freeze on the vehicle.
I'm thinking of temperatures at least above freezing.

I probably wouldn't use one, but if you are serious about keeping the water warm, bucket heaters are used for livestock water buckets and they might work. They must be reasonably safe, but I don't think I want to stick my hand in a bucket with an electric heater in it.
Maybe you could use a hair dryer to heat each panel so the water doesn't freeze before you can dry it. :)

Or maybe not. :D

I'm lucky lol. It doesn't get below freezing in my city. I live in the warmer part of the country, although in winter it can get down to 1degree (Celsius btw) overnight at the coldest....just enough not to freeze so we have no ice problems.

But yes, I would think the main problem would be the freezing of it on the panels, infact the freezing of the moisture in the window seals and door seals/ handle would probably be a big enough reason not to use it if it's below freezing.

CharlesW
11-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Hopefully, I will be able to continue to heat my garage with my kerosene heater,but my kerosene source isn't available right now.
I can still buy it at Menard's for about twice the price I was paying, but.......

My heater says it will burn diesel fuel, but I think the odor would probably be pretty bad.
I guess the way to find out would be to try it. :doh:

Tekman00
11-02-2009, 03:44 PM
I use Neoprene 13" waterfowl gloves when washing in cold weather. I bought them at bass pro shop. They were about $15 last year. They are not 100% water proof ,but they still keep my hands/forearms warm in cold water.

Bert31
11-02-2009, 05:25 PM
I used to use Neoprene gloves and such but then decided to switch over Boars Hair Brush and haven't looked back.