PDA

View Full Version : Toping a wax over Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

tWiStEd-tORqUe
10-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Note: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 is a water-based, oxygen activated paint sealant. After buffing off the sealant, the remaining coating needs to cure for 12 hours in dry conditions to fully bond to the paint. Exposure to moisture during this time will drown the polymers. For the best results, allow 12 hours of curing time.

My Question is ,

Do I have to wait 12 Hours , Before Applying a Coat of Wax , ?

Emile
10-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Yup. No waxing, and stay away from water. If the car sits outside, make sure it is not going to be a rainy night.

ph16
10-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Yup. No waxing, and stay away from water. If the car sits outside, make sure it is not going to be a rainy night.
or dew/condensation

ScottB
10-31-2009, 06:14 AM
I have found 8-24 hours alots enough time for most sealants to properly cure. I have however sometimes topped as quickly as 4 hours.

VR8
10-31-2009, 07:13 AM
Along the same line of questioning ... if you use the Wolfgang Sealant and it DOES rain that night ... ??

Another coat of sealant?

Tesla
10-31-2009, 08:38 AM
I have found 8-24 hours alots enough time for most sealants to properly cure. I have however sometimes topped as quickly as 4 hours.

How do you make that determination? What do you see at the 4, 8, 12 or 24 hour mark that you didn't see after one hour to conclude it has "cured"?

For me, I will let a product cure for 12 hours, because the instructions say to do so, but I'v never "seen" or "felt" a difference in the product.

sullysdetailing
10-31-2009, 08:56 AM
Ya how do you know when the car is ready to top with wax?

Rsurfer
11-01-2009, 12:36 AM
Ya how do you know when the car is ready to top with wax?
Wait 12 hrs. then you'll know.:doh:

ScottB
11-01-2009, 09:23 AM
How do you make that determination? What do you see at the 4, 8, 12 or 24 hour mark that you didn't see after one hour to conclude it has "cured"?

For me, I will let a product cure for 12 hours, because the instructions say to do so, but I'v never "seen" or "felt" a difference in the product.

I too try to follow the manufacturers instructions when possible. I am not sure that there is any difference between the 4-8-12 hour mark specifically and why my post suggested I have done so without issue. Sometimes your in a time crunch and need to experiment, and did so without issue. Also temperature and environment might speed curing, remember I live in the hot south and leave car outside initially after sealing.

I do believe the curing has more to do with length of protection. If it cures properly its one way (of many) to get the longest protection. I dont necessarily believe it protects better. We could test it I suppose. I however am no scientist and dont pretend to be ...

loudog2
11-01-2009, 09:30 AM
It needs a chance to harden. Take painting for example. You can paint a wall, then it looks dry 20 min. later. But it will peel off like plastic wrap. A good amount of time later it is as hard as a rock. Point being, give it time to outgass and harden. Even though it might look fine, it still might not be. After all the hard work to get the car the way you want it, finish it right.

Tesla
11-01-2009, 12:41 PM
I too try to follow the manufacturers instructions when possible. I am not sure that there is any difference between the 4-8-12 hour mark specifically and why my post suggested I have done so without issue. Sometimes your in a time crunch and need to experiment, and did so without issue. Also temperature and environment might speed curing, remember I live in the hot south and leave car outside initially after sealing.

I do believe the curing has more to do with length of protection. If it cures properly its one way (of many) to get the longest protection. I dont necessarily believe it protects better. We could test it I suppose. I however am no scientist and dont pretend to be ...

Thanks for the clarification. I thought I might be missing something.

T Riddle
11-03-2009, 09:53 PM
I just did a test last evening with my dodge ram. Here in East Texas we start to get heavy dew here in the early night hours.

I finished with WDGPS around 6pm and noticed the dew starting around 8pm. I was sure not to brush against the vehicle and made sure no one wiped it. I got home this evening and inspected the truck after it had cured all day. The sealant seems to have cured and sealed very very well. I applied another coat this evening and am going to see what my durability may be.....