PDA

View Full Version : Can I make windshield washer fluid?

julian
10-30-2009, 05:51 AM
After one local retail discount auto place discontinued my favorite scented washer fluid, I can not find another brand that will not leave spots on my vehicle, much less deliver a nice fragrance after using it.
I have read here some time ago about a product that mixes up to be a good washer fluid.
Can anyone recommend some? :confused: I'm not into buying gallon junk that costs 3 bucks, and does not work..

feslope
10-30-2009, 08:36 AM
I have read here some time ago about a product that mixes up to be a good washer fluid.
Can anyone recommend some? Try this, 303 Instant Windshield Washer Tablets, windshield washer, washer fluid, wiper fluid (http://www.autogeek.net/303iwt.html) mix with distilled water and you have a very good product. As far as scent, you might try some of your water based car scent.

Peanut
10-30-2009, 11:56 AM
I like to use the 1Z Einszett Kristall Klar Windshield Washer Fluid Concentrate. This product is awesome and has a good scent.

vinceAccordV6
10-30-2009, 12:21 PM
1 gallon distilled water + 1oz ONR + 1oz Zep Ammonia Free Glass cleaner = cheap and effective windshield washer fluid

Chris Thomas
10-31-2009, 01:15 AM
you have to use something to prevent freezing this time of year in many areas. I use 50% methanol with my mix.

Matt
10-31-2009, 04:05 AM
Ok, well for the OP, it says he lives in SE FL. Which I am going to assume is south east Florida. So I don't think he needs antifreeze (but good to mention this so lurkers read it).

I would suggest P21s Washer additive. Smells real good :xxthumbs:

But, I'm not sure if making it with distilled water would produce no spots as I just use tap water, and it does leave the residue outside the wiper sweep area. However, I've never used a product that doesn't leave this.

ScottB
10-31-2009, 06:12 AM
never smelled mine ... I went back to the cheap blue or green stuff from Wally World. I dont like residue left on glass.

Matt
10-31-2009, 06:23 AM
never smelled mine ...

Haha neither, but it does come through when you use the washer lol because it drains past the cabin air intake.

I've only noticed it on my car though, on my parents cars it seems to switch to recycle air momentarily when you squirt the washers (as you can hear the air noise increase for a bit). I think this is so you don't get the fumes from the washer fluid (as SOME antifreeze ones would have some pretty strong alcohols in them).

julian
11-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the replies, I will experiment with each recipe mentioned till I find the one I like.:xyxthumbs: