PDA

View Full Version : Polishing & Sealant suggestions

jschmitt
10-29-2009, 04:53 PM
new member here, and long time reader. i've been reading tons on various polishes, waxes, sealants etc... it seems Menzerna, Wolfgang Concours, and 3M Perfect-It 3000 are of the better/more suggested. what i'm looking for is which would work well for
(1) removing swirl marks from a '03 silver Dodge Dakota and
(2) remove faint swirls marks & overspray on a black '08 BMW 328.
i completely understand that both jobs might require different product, but if they can use the same stuff... its less shelf space consumed.
i'll be doing the work with the Flex XC3401.

my impression so far:
Menzerna PO83Q/PO106FA
-seems menzerna is the top rated for ceramic clear coats, is this going to be harsh on the dodge?

Wolfgang TSP/Finishing Glaze 3.0
TSP seems rated pretty well, but i havent seen much info on the Finishing Glaze

3M 3000 Extra Cut[3M-06060]/Ultrafine[3M-06068]
-32oz bottles, that seems huge
-might do both jobs

i was also planning on using Klasse AIO/High Gloss Sealant (i believe from the forum favorite kit). i've seen some recent posts saying Klasse is difficult to put on and to remove.
-is Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant better? which Wolfgang product do you use as a cleaner? Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer?
-how well does carnuba go on top of Wolfgang Deep Gloss (for the black BMW). would you use Wolfgang Füzion instead of Pinnacle Souverän?

i'd appreciate any input, ideally i'd like to make the purchase tomorrow for the fall savings =)

ScottB
10-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Menzerna SIP and Nano .. Wolfgang Concours Sealant or Four Star UPP. Those are winning combos. You can also interchange Wolfgang TSR and FG for Menzerna polishes if you want/need smaller bottles, they even come in 8 ounces as memory serves.

Rsurfer
10-29-2009, 05:21 PM
new member here, and long time reader. i've been reading tons on various polishes, waxes, sealants etc... it seems Menzerna, Wolfgang Concours, and 3M Perfect-It 3000 are of the better/more suggested. what i'm looking for is which would work well for
(1) removing swirl marks from a '03 silver Dodge Dakota and
(2) remove faint swirls marks & overspray on a black '08 BMW 328.
i completely understand that both jobs might require different product, but if they can use the same stuff... its less shelf space consumed.
i'll be doing the work with the Flex XC3401.

my impression so far:
Menzerna PO83Q/PO106FA
-seems menzerna is the top rated for ceramic clear coats, is this going to be harsh on the dodge?

Wolfgang TSP/Finishing Glaze 3.0
TSP seems rated pretty well, but i havent seen much info on the Finishing Glaze

3M 3000 Extra Cut[3M-06060]/Ultrafine[3M-06068]
-32oz bottles, that seems huge
-might do both jobs

i was also planning on using Klasse AIO/High Gloss Sealant (i believe from the forum favorite kit). i've seen some recent posts saying Klasse is difficult to put on and to remove.
-is Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant better? which Wolfgang product do you use as a cleaner? Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer?
-how well does carnuba go on top of Wolfgang Deep Gloss (for the black BMW). would you use Wolfgang Füzion instead of Pinnacle Souverän?

i'd appreciate any input, ideally i'd like to make the purchase tomorrow for the fall savings =)
Welcome to the forum. I would go with the Menz SIP, 106FA and 87RD to finish down. The menz polishes will work for you bimmer as well as your Dodge. Don't know what pads you have for your Flex, but orange, white and grey/blue is a must. Get at least 2 of each color and a spuring tool. I would skip the glaze and paint cleaner and just do a good IPA wipe down and inspect in the sun. I would then seal both cars with wolfgang (2 coats-12hrs. apart) and wax your black bimmer with pinnacle sourveran. Sourveran will give your paint a deep wet look, but it will not last very long (3-4 weeks tops). Fusion will last longer, but won't look any better. The Dodge can be left alone with 2 coats of Wolfgang sealant. The next time you wax/seal you can use the paintwork enhancer to clean the paint.:buffing:

loudog2
10-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Welcome to the forum. I would go with the Menz SIP, 106FA and 87RD to finish down.
87RD? Did you mean 85RD or 87MC? I know what you meant, just to clarify for the OP:xyxthumbs:

02nissanISR
10-29-2009, 06:09 PM
The Klasse twins as some have said and I agree is a bullet proof combo. The sealant is a little finicky mainly because you need such a small amount to cover a car, (1 oz.) that its very easy to use to much then it becomes hard to get off by conventional methods (buffing w/micro fiber). If this happens you need to lightly spitz with water or a QD then it comes off very easy. Ive never used the Wolfgang but Ive never heard anything bad about it. Its probably not as finicky to apply and remove.

Rsurfer
10-29-2009, 07:02 PM
87RD? Did you mean 85RD or 87MC? I know what you meant, just to clarify for the OP:xyxthumbs:
Thanks Lou, I did mean 85rd, but 87mc(FP11) is not bad either. 87 has less cut than 85rd so if your paint is in good condition I would use 87mc for less paint removal.

jschmitt
10-30-2009, 12:42 PM
WOW, thanks for all the comments so far. the resource of this place is absolutely amazing =)

Thanks Lou, I did mean 85rd, but 87mc(FP11) is not bad either. 87 has less cut than 85rd so if your paint is in good condition I would use 87mc for less paint removal.
Menzerna Polishing Compounds (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-of-germany.html)
my understanding is that the PO85RD has less cut and more gloss than PO87MC.

for pads, my Flex came with a orange, white and red. i was planning on getting BFPK-100-CCS :: Dual Action 6.5" CCS Foam Pad Kit 4Pack (http://www.autogeek.net/bf100.html) for others (2xWhite, Grey, Blue); i figured SIP:orange/white; Nano:white; PO85RD:grey; Enhancer:white; Sealant:blue; Carnuba:red.

for the IPA, is that straight 70% or do you dilute it? i'm assuming its for cleaning off the polish residue and not for quick evaporation.

i figure process is:
now:
Clay;
SIP:orange/white;
Nano:white;
IPA;
Sealant:blue
in 6months:
Clay;
Nano:white (if needed);
PO85RD:grey;
Enhancer:white;
IPA;
Sealant:blue;
carnuba:red (BMW only)

i'm thinking to get the two vehicles *in shape* (swirls removed, and basic protection for the winter), then clean/seal/carnuba for the summer in may.

for carnuba (machine applied) does Pinnacle Souverän vs Pinnacle Liquid Souveran?

Rsurfer
10-31-2009, 02:29 AM
"my understanding is that the PO85RD has less cut and more gloss than PO87MC."

85RD has a cut of 1.5 and 87MC has a cut of 1. As far as gloss factor both are about the same. Your process looks good.