PDA

View Full Version : Best Protection for Salt Water?

mchess1
10-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Thought I would put the question out to the forum and see if anyone had any suggestions.

My wife's vehicle is a 2008 white Honda Odyssey that we use for transporting the family on our vacations. We have a Thule rack on top for transporting our two kayaks.

Living in paradise here in South Florida, we spend many of our vacations in Islamorada in the Keys using the kayaks. I am also an avid salt water fisherman and fish out of my kayak all the time.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/standing.jpg

So finally getting to the question, many times we are not near any fresh water when taking the kayaks out of the water. So, it goes on top of the minivan and drips corrosive salt water all over the van. This causes some of the nastiest water spots around after drying out on the 3 hour drive back home.

What would be the best LSP to provide protection from this salt water that is unfortunately unavoidable at times?

Gary Sword
10-28-2009, 07:20 PM
I live on saltwater. I haven't found one product that stands out but it's definitely important to keep your car wax and/or sealed. The durability of Collinite 845 and 915 is outstanding on or off saltwater. I even keep my scuba tanks sealed.
http://www.smokinvette.com/corvettephotos/data/500/ScubaTanks_After.jpg

TheGLL
10-28-2009, 07:29 PM
When I saw "salt" in the title I said to myself "cool more tips to protect my car during the winter" .... I was very wrong. :(

mchess1
10-28-2009, 07:32 PM
When I saw "salt" in the title I said to myself "cool more tips to protect my car during the winter" .... I was very wrong. :(

Uhh, yeah. We don't worry about the use of salt on the roads during winter.

Sorry!

CEE DOG
10-28-2009, 09:23 PM
We live about 25 minutes from Daytona. As much as my Skybaby wants to take a drive on that beach I always make her turn around shortly after getting off the I-4 exit. :nomore:
She's not aloud within about 8 miles. Im the MAN
Sure would be nice to drive her on that beach with the top down... Maybe in a few years.

supercharged
10-30-2009, 01:08 AM
a durable sealant like Klasse twins, DG 601/105 combo, or Zaino z-2 ZFXed would do it.

mchess1
10-30-2009, 06:11 AM
a durable sealant like Klasse twins, DG 601/105 combo, or Zaino z-2 ZFXed would do it.

Thanks Supercharged, I've never tried any of those sealants. I've used Poorboys EX-P on it to no avail.

On another note, how did your wife break the Japanese stronghold on your garage? Not that I mind the marque of course!

sullysdetailing
10-30-2009, 07:17 AM
My family and I go to the beach alot. FT. Lauderdale, Dearfield, Marco Island, ect. I always my vehicle had a good coat of Paint Selant and wax on top of it. Also make sure you wash your vehicle off when you get home from the beach so you get all the salt off of it.

CEE DOG
10-30-2009, 06:28 PM
My fear is the undercarriage! How do you make sure you get it all rinsed properly? Without like a garage jack I haven't risked it...

Superdutytd
10-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Yea make sure and keep it sealed/waxed. I would personally buy a little trailer for them, like hell I would ever let salt water drip on any of my paint.

bmw5541
10-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Since most marine stores sell Collinite, I would say that it is a good product to protect against salt water. Try the 845IW, and you should be very well protected.