PDA

View Full Version : New Truck - Holograms after applying NXT 2.0

Lilskeezer
10-28-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm hoping someone can provide some insight and/or corrections on what I did wrong. This issue is extremely important because its MY truck that is showing the holograms. I recently cautiously washed my '09 Nissan pickup with a clean Shmitt and dried with a Cobra Microfiber towel. Shortly there after I added a coat of Meguiar's NXT 2.0 wax to the paint. The truck shined better than it ever has! Unfortunately, after a full day of rain yesterday my truck now is showing holograms in multiple spots all over the truck. I figure it may be one of a few things (or all):

- I didn't polish or clay before waxing. The truck only has 6k miles on it and the paint appeared in great shape.
- I didn't use a DA, but the pad I used may have unknowingly had some dirt/debris in it. I never dropped it and clean my pads after each use though.

I never noticed these spots before, so I have to believe my most recent approach is what messed things up. Any suggestions on how NOT to do this again? Also, more importantly, any suggestions on how to fix this?? Should I clean the car again, remove the old wax, polish and then apply the wax?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Feed back please

RaskyR1
10-28-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm hoping someone can provide some insight and/or corrections on what I did wrong. This issue is extremely important because its MY truck that is showing the holograms. I recently cautiously washed my '09 Nissan pickup with a clean Shmitt and dried with a Cobra Microfiber towel. Shortly there after I added a coat of Meguiar's NXT 2.0 wax to the paint. The truck shined better than it ever has! Unfortunately, after a full day of rain yesterday my truck now is showing holograms in multiple spots all over the truck. I figure it may be one of a few things (or all):

- I didn't polish or clay before waxing. The truck only has 6k miles on it and the paint appeared in great shape.
- I didn't use a DA, but the pad I used may have unknowingly had some dirt/debris in it. I never dropped it and clean my pads after each use though.

I never noticed these spots before, so I have to believe my most recent approach is what messed things up. Any suggestions on how NOT to do this again? Also, more importantly, any suggestions on how to fix this?? Should I clean the car again, remove the old wax, polish and then apply the wax?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Feed back please

Any chance you can capture them in a pic? Holograms are the result of improper use of a rotary polisher and I just want to make sure what you are seeing is indeed holograms. ;)

loudog2
10-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Could it be that you didn't get all the NXT off? DId you apply it in a circular motion?

Emile
10-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Sounds like a few possibilities:

Scratches and swirls were installed during the waxing process (either while applying the wax or while buffing it off).

Or, they were already there but the NXT 2.0 high-lighted them. I don't think this is the case though because NXT 2.0 is a clever wax and hides scratches and swirls very well, while providing a nice deep dark shine to the paint.

Or, you may not have buffed all of the NXT 2.0 off.

sullysdetailing
10-28-2009, 12:06 PM
It could be that you didnt wipe all the wax off. I did AWDmotorsports M5 and the owner waxed it with WGPS and didnt wipe it all off and it did this. After I washed the car they went away. Try and wash the vehicle.

Mike Phillips
10-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Holograms is a word used to describe the zig-zap scratch pattern instilled by a mis-use of a rotary buffer.

Like this seen in this thread,

Specifically this picture, it's a great example of the kind of damage a rotary buffer can inflict when improperly used by a hack detailer.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/21413-horrible-swirl-marks.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/773/zigzagrotarybufferswirls01.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/773/zigzagrotarybufferswirls02.jpg

NXT Tech Wax is non-abrasive so if you instilled swirls or scratches during the application process we'll need to troubleshoot further to find the culprit.

The good news is whatever damage has been done you can recover from with the right products and technique.

:)

Lilskeezer
10-28-2009, 07:45 PM
After I posted this I thought exactly what many of you have mentioned...maybe I didn't get all of the wax off. Just to take any guesswork out of it I focused on my tailgate. I used 50/50 alcohol/water after I washed the panel. I used ny Flex w/ a Lake Country lt orange cutting pad and Meguiars 205. I followed w/ a black finishing pad and the NXT. The key difference this time is after I removed the NXT, I used some spray wax to help remove the residue and re-dried the area with a mf. The true test will be the midday sun which tends to show the true imperfections in my paint. I'll post my results. Thanks for everyone's advice!!!

Lilskeezer
10-29-2009, 01:25 PM
I looked over the tailgate panel today around noon and I'm glad to announce that there are no holograms (or hologram-ish marks)! After looking at the pics Mike posted, I have to believe these weren't holograms because of the isolated spots they appeared (not long trails like with the car above). Was it wax residue? It's very possible but I'm not certain. I did decide after the good results (which I will verify with my Brinkman once I get it) I am going to go over the entire vehicle since I'd noticed marks around the doors as well...couldn't hurt plus with this soft paint I've already picked up some light marring. From here on out I am either going to let the NXT sit longer on the paint, or I will add an additional step of wiping down with Quik Detailer. Any additional thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for the advice.

Mike Phillips
10-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Any additional thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Apply a thin coating. Allow for this coating to dry till it swipes clear. Remove using a clean, soft microfiber polishing cloth.

Thick coats of any wax or paint sealant simply wastes product and tends to create problems at wipe-off.

Maybe just try one panel to start with instead of the entire truck?

:)

Mike Phillips
10-29-2009, 01:30 PM
The Swipe Test is discussed in the below thread somewhere...

Tips and Techniques for using the PC 7424XP Dual Action Polisher to remove Below Surface Defects (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/expert-tips/20021-tips-techniques-using-porter-cable-7424xp.html)

:xyxthumbs: