PDA

View Full Version : Mike, What's the story with WD-40?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Chrisquickshine
10-27-2009, 08:25 PM
I was just about to leave the bank, at which I detail three cars, when the bank owner stops me. He's a nice guy who always gives me feedback on my work. He asked if I had ever heard of using WD-40 to whipe away the bugs on the front of the car at the start of a wash. He further blew my mind by telling me uses it on his 08' Escalde all the time.

This afternoon he sent me a chain email he once received about WD-40's many uses. Upon further research I'm not coming up with anything that says WD-40 would be harmful to a cars paint job when it comes to the removal of bugs, sap, and tar. I'm extremely skeptical though as this is the first time I've heard of this use. I wanted to get some info from the expert before I go make a grave mistake. So I have to ask you Mike, what's the story with WD-40?

Thanks!

Chris

Tesla
10-27-2009, 08:37 PM
I've heard of a lot of guys using WD-40 to clean various items. Like goo-gone, it is a solvent but I don't think it'll harm your paint, although I've never tried it on my paint so I can't say for certain.

Lasthope05
10-27-2009, 08:43 PM
For new two stage paints and SS urethanes it would be perfectly fine but not so sure it would be safe to use on the older SS acrylic and laquer paints.

mchess1
10-27-2009, 08:59 PM
I was just about to leave the bank, at which I detail three cars, when the bank owner stops me. He's a nice guy who always gives me feedback on my work. He asked if I had ever heard of using WD-40 to whipe away the bugs on the front of the car at the start of a wash. He further blew my mind by telling me uses it on his 08' Escalde all the time.

This afternoon he sent me a chain email he once received about WD-40's many uses. Upon further research I'm not coming up with anything that says WD-40 would be harmful to a cars paint job when it comes to the removal of bugs, sap, and tar. I'm extremely skeptical though as this is the first time I've heard of this use. I wanted to get some info from the expert before I go make a grave mistake. So I have to ask you Mike, what's the story with WD-40?

Thanks!

Chris

I've actually used WD-40 on my kitchen walls when my son thought he was Picasso with a crayon. It took it right off and evaporated away leaving no residue.

Never thought of trying it on a vehicle, I'll let someone else go first!

Pie
10-27-2009, 09:11 PM
I've used WD-40 after debagding to remove the sticky residue. It worked well to get the residue off. The spot I used it on still looks normal.

ewiesner
10-27-2009, 10:32 PM
I've used it to remove road oil and bugs without any damage to the paint. Works great and I usually have a can or two around the house.

alexjn1
10-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Growing up on a farm we spray just about anything with WD-40. I have never used it on a car but when used on other equiptment it has never caused any harm so maybe there is something to it.

DLB
10-28-2009, 07:40 AM
I have a buddy that details his engine bay with WD. The entire area. Painted surfaces, not painted surfaces, etc.

I used to use it on my ATV to keep it shiny. Would wipe down all the plastics and all the engine with it.

Never had any problems with the stuff.

DLB

MoBenzOwner
10-28-2009, 07:59 AM
It works pretty well for getting gum out of carpets. I use ice and scrape off all I can the wd-40 to dissolve the rest. Follow up with megs apc or some carpet cleaner to remove the wd-40 smell. It has never caused me a problem

Mike Phillips
10-28-2009, 08:49 AM
The story I've always heard was

WD-40 = Water Displacement formula try #40

That the person that created this tested 39 formulas and when they got to version #40 it was working like they wanted it to and that's where the name came from.

After writing the above, I took a moment to type in the words WD-40 and the word history into Google and found this which backs up what I've been told all my life.

WD-40 Company and Product History (http://www.wd40.com/about-us/history/)

http://www.wd40.com/images/wd40company/history-50s.jpg

In 1953, a fledgling company called Rocket Chemical Company and its staff of three set out to create a line of rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry, in a small lab in San Diego, California.

It took them 40 attempts to get the water displacing formula worked out. But they must have been really good, because the original secret formula for WD-40®—which stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try—is still in use today.

Convair, an aerospace contractor, first used WD-40 to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion. The product actually worked so well that several employees snuck some WD-40 cans out of the plant to use at home.

A few years following WD-40's first industrial use, Rocket Chemical Company founder Norm Larsen experimented with putting WD-40 into aerosol cans, reasoning that consumers might find a use for the product at home as some of the employees had. The product made its first appearance on store shelves in San Diego in 1958.

In 1960 the company nearly doubled in size, growing to seven people, who sold an average of 45 cases per day from the trunk of their cars to hardware and sporting goods stores in the San Diego area.

In 1961 the first full truckload order for WD-40 was filled when employees came in on a Saturday to produce additional concentrate to meet the disaster needs of the victims of Hurricane Carla along the U.S. Gulf coast. WD-40 was used to recondition flood and rain damaged vehicles and equipment.

As for working on paint?

Some people use it for various things with success, I tend to reach for an actual paint care product for paint related procedures but use WD-40 when working on car components all the time.

:)

jake66
10-28-2009, 09:21 AM
My father could work miracles with some bailing wire, vice grips and a can of WD-40.:xyxthumbs:

weeble
10-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Rocket Chemical Company is one of the best names ever.

DLB
10-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Rocket Chemical Company is one of the best names ever.
No doubt! Rocket Chemical Co. FTW!

DLB

dublifecrisis
10-28-2009, 10:24 AM
When I detail engine bays, I spray WD-40 on all wiring harnesses and electrical areas. I don't intyentionally spray these areas with water during the process but this gives a little protection for the elctrical areas from the water spraying all around.

I've read the many uses article before but haven't tried many except for the obvious reasons we all use it for.

RaskyR1
10-28-2009, 11:52 AM
As for working on paint?

Some people use it for various things with success, I tend to reach for an actual paint care product for paint related procedures but use WD-40 when working on car components all the time.

:)

That pretty much sums it up for me. There will always be many products that can do the same job. It's finding the one that works best for you and is the safest for what you are working on. I personally will always try to use a product designed for what I'm working on before using some "home remedy"

Rasky