PDA

View Full Version : Detailing question

Pages : [1] 2

Charged
09-29-2006, 02:02 AM
Hi, guys this is my 1st post on these forums, I' am new to detailing. I recently received my 1st PC and XMT series package from AG and I got to say this stuff really works! I have a few questions, I hope I can get some answered. I 'am having trouble removing some fine swirls on my front bumper between the fender and the headlights on a Honda civic which my PC can not get into, what do you recommend? Also I have a few scratches that were not completey removed after using the XMT 3, 2, and 1 but they are hardly visible when looking at them using a halogen lamp, and was wondering if the XMT carnauba finishing glaze would help the scratches blend in better? Asuming I use the carnauba finishing glaze, I wanted use Meguiar’s #20 Polymer Sealant or Meguiar’s #21 Synthetic Sealant and top it off with Pinnacle signature seriesII wax, would this be a good combination? also what is the curing time frame between polishing, sealing, and waxing? Any feedback would help , Thanks Ray

sparkie
09-29-2006, 07:14 AM
I 'am having trouble removing some fine swirls on my front bumper between the fender and the headlights on a Honda civic which my PC can not get into, what do you recommend?
I am hoping that Edge will make a 4 inch pad for area like that.
For now I do it by hand with this http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1917_49916352
Edit: use the orange side.

Also I have a few scratches that were not completely removed after using the XMT 3, 2, and 1 but they are hardly visible when looking at them using a halogen lamp, and was wondering if the XMT carnauba finishing glaze would help the scratches blend in better? It will help hide them. Yes
I wanted use Meguiar’s #20 Polymer Sealant or Meguiar’s #21 Synthetic Sealant and top it off with Pinnacle signature series II wax, would this be a good combination?
Never used Meg’s #20 Polymer Sealant or Meg’s #21, I do used Klasse, and I wait at least 8 hours, some say wait longer, it all depends on weather, temp.

What is the curing time frame between polishing, sealing, and waxing?
As said before I wait at least 8 hours, some say wait longer, it all depends on weather, temp.

BILL
09-29-2006, 07:18 AM
i'd use the 21 sealer......i beleive it has some filling plus's

as far as curing times..12 - 24 hours for sealer

wax depends on what your using..when using soveruran i wait at least a day, not that i have to but i like to always wait between coats

polish......no time.....

as far as weather? i don't personally like to apply anything in wet and humid conditions.......i'll wait for a dry day......just my 2 cents.....others may differ

justin_murphy
09-29-2006, 07:24 AM
Bill is on the money here.
Welcome to the site bro!

Charged
09-29-2006, 06:05 PM
I have another question. Would it be ok if I washed the car before waxing, and only after the sealant has cured for a day?

ScottB
09-29-2006, 07:16 PM
I have another question. Would it be ok if I washed the car before waxing, and only after the sealant has cured for a day?

yes , but try not to introduce water to the sealant for a minimum of 8 hours. You want the durability, a sealants strong point, to be full go. Then wash, and top as wanted !

Charged
09-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks for info, I'am glad to join a forum with great people like yall, that actually help out people with questions!:awesome: As far as a sealant , could I use Meguiar’s tech wax after using XMT carnauba finishing glaze, and topping the tech wax with Pinnacle signature seriesII wax. Would this be ok?

BILL
09-30-2006, 07:13 AM
Thanks for info, I'am glad to join a forum with great people like yall, that actually help out people with questions!:awesome: As far as a sealant , could I use Meguiar’s tech wax after using XMT carnauba finishing glaze, and topping the tech wax with Pinnacle signature seriesII wax. Would this be ok?

MTW is not a sealer...:)

If it were me, i'd ditch the the tech wax and use the XMT C.F.G. then the P.S.S 11.....

OTHERS MAY DIFFER.....;)

alban61
09-30-2006, 07:43 AM
This is what Megs has to say about NXT

A new breed of protection!

When you talk “wax,” you’re actually talking protection. Tech Wax, a synthetic, scientifically engineered paint sealant, is an alternative to traditional wax. The benefits of a paint sealant are many. Fool-proof, fast, easy application, longer lasting, equivalent protection! If you prefer the appearance of a wax (said to be a glossier, wetter, richer appeal) but like the durability of a sealant, you can layer a wax over a paint sealant. Pinnacle Souveran or Signature Series II will give you most outstanding results over Tech Wax. Meguiar’s does not recommend layering Tech Wax over another sealant or wax. It has slight cleaning properties, negating the effect of the sealant rather than adding extra protection or improving the visual effect.

BILL
09-30-2006, 07:54 AM
This is what Megs has to say about NXT

A new breed of protection!

When you talk “wax,” you’re actually talking protection. Tech Wax, a synthetic, scientifically engineered paint sealant, is an alternative to traditional wax. The benefits of a paint sealant are many. Fool-proof, fast, easy application, longer lasting, equivalent protection! If you prefer the appearance of a wax (said to be a glossier, wetter, richer appeal) but like the durability of a sealant, you can layer a wax over a paint sealant. Pinnacle Souveran or Signature Series II will give you most outstanding results over Tech Wax. Meguiar’s does not recommend layering Tech Wax over another sealant or wax. It has slight cleaning properties, negating the effect of the sealant rather than adding extra protection or improving the visual effect.

OK..... A true sealer will have no cleaning properties, MEGUIRES HAS, so layering it will keep removing the previous layer, thats why is recommends NOT layering...

if i were to want a sealer?? i'd go with wolfgang, klasse, or any of the fine sealers available....

then top with good carnuba if desired....;)

alban61
09-30-2006, 08:01 AM
:iagree: with BILL

ScottB
09-30-2006, 08:23 AM
Bill makes a good point, one with compatibility being a back point. Topping most polishes (oils, and fillers) with a sealant is not a good idea. Moving to a true glaze and then a wax is the traditional line of best results.

That said, NXT does have kaolin which is a light cleaner. It will remove these oils and fillers and "could" provide a reasonable choice. That said its not very durable and has a look that some love and others , well dont. You will not want to layer NXT as you are just creating more work for no real new results.

I, like Bill would wipe down the car with alcohol/water and then use a pure sealant as needed/wanted. Then top with a canauba when you want to or if you want too. The newer DP Sealant is so glossy looking you might choose to stop there.

Charged
10-01-2006, 04:58 PM
You guys are right, I should just do it the right way, I 'll just rewash the car then I'll use some XMT's finishing glaze and some Signature Series II wax. I'll put in a order with AG monday for some DP Sealant. So when I receive the DP sealant , I could just strip the wax, add some finishing glaze , then the sealant , and then the wax if I wanted too? Thanks for all the info!:cheers:

BILL
10-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Re-read the prior post as to the glaze......

putting a sealer over a glaze is not a wise move....a pure wax would be better.

FloridaNative
10-01-2006, 06:38 PM
You guys are right, I should just do it the right way, I 'll just rewash the car then I'll use some XMT's finishing glaze and some Signature Series II wax. I'll put in a order with AG monday for some DP Sealant. So when I receive the DP sealant , I could just strip the wax, add some finishing glaze , then the sealant , and then the wax if I wanted too? Thanks for all the info!:cheers:

You would do the sealant first, then the glaze (if you want) after the sealant is cured and lastly the wax.