PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for Next Car - Best Choices, Recommendations & Expereinces???

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

tenorplayer23
10-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Well, the lease is nearly up on the 2008 Impala LTZ and it's time to start considering a replacement, whether new or used, purchased or leased. So, thought I'd put a post out there for some suggestions, recommendations and experiences.

The current car is a bright red 2008 Chevrolet Impala LTZ; 3.9LV6, 4sp. auto. black leather interior. Fits very well for my height at 6'3", large inside, big trunk (good as the utilitarian car to go along with the Corvette) plus pretty good feature set for the price (today a 2010 similarly equipped LTZ has an MSRP of ~ $30K....and can be had for quite a bit less).

But, the downside is............I've had now 3 Impalas in a row. Maybe a change is due?

The car, while a nice size, is rather pedestrian; it doesn't handle "bad" (as the LTZ has upgraded tires & suspension over the other Impala equipment levels) but doesn't exactly have a taught Euro-handling feel, either

In any case, how about some suggestions & experiences that meet my rough criteria.

> Likely domestic, no smaller than mid-size automobile...prefer something that fits and full size is just fine
> Automatic preferred for the daily driver. Needs enough giddy yap to move along pretty well. Prefer to improve handling over the Impala and be now less powerful!
> FWD is fine...........RWD is fine............AWD is fine. With dedicated snows, even RWD is OK in this part fo the soon to be snow covered universe! :)
> Bright exterior color preferred........love my Impala's red!

Some vehicles I have been thinking about:

> New Chevrolet Mailbu or another Impala (2010)
> New 2010 (or maybe late model used, ~ 2008/2009?) Cadillac CTS (probably RWD w/performance suspension; 3.0 or 3.6V6
> New 2010 Buick Lacrosse CXS??
> Ford Fusion Sport? Ford Taurus SEL/SHO (2010 SHO is very pricey).
> Dodge Charger
> Any other suggestions/or experiences with any of the above...........................????????????

Imports: While I don't typically buy foreign, any overwhelming good suggestions?? :) Good recommendations or considerations????

How about used car suggestions?

Let 'em rip. Thanks in advance.

See ya. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/seeya.gif

MoBenzOwner
10-26-2009, 06:30 PM
I dont know specifics, but love the look of the redesigned 2010 LaCrosse. The Taurus SHO also nice and probably a pretty good performance upgrade.

DARK HORSE
10-26-2009, 07:19 PM
The Taurus SHO is looking very good in that class.

JohnnyC
10-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Well, the lease is nearly up on the 2008 Impala LTZ and it's time to start considering a replacement, whether new or used, purchased or leased. So, thought I'd put a post out there for some suggestions, recommendations and experiences.

The current car is a bright red 2008 Chevrolet Impala LTZ; 3.9LV6, 4sp. auto. black leather interior. Fits very well for my height at 6'3", large inside, big trunk (good as the utilitarian car to go along with the Corvette) plus pretty good feature set for the price (today a 2010 similarly equipped LTZ has an MSRP of ~ $30K....and can be had for quite a bit less).

But, the downside is............I've had now 3 Impalas in a row. Maybe a change is due?

The car, while a nice size, is rather pedestrian; it doesn't handle "bad" (as the LTZ has upgraded tires & suspension over the other Impala equipment levels) but doesn't exactly have a taught Euro-handling feel, either

In any case, how about some suggestions & experiences that meet my rough criteria.

> Likely domestic, no smaller than mid-size automobile...prefer something that fits and full size is just fine
> Automatic preferred for the daily driver. Needs enough giddy yap to move along pretty well. Prefer to improve handling over the Impala and be now less powerful!
> FWD is fine...........RWD is fine............AWD is fine. With dedicated snows, even RWD is OK in this part fo the soon to be snow covered universe! :)
> Bright exterior color preferred........love my Impala's red!

Some vehicles I have been thinking about:

> New Chevrolet Mailbu or another Impala (2010)
> New 2010 (or maybe late model used, ~ 2008/2009?) Cadillac CTS (probably RWD w/performance suspension; 3.0 or 3.6V6
> New 2010 Buick Lacrosse CXS??
> Ford Fusion Sport? Ford Taurus SEL/SHO (2010 SHO is very pricey).
> Dodge Charger
> Any other suggestions/or experiences with any of the above...........................????????????

Imports: While I don't typically buy foreign, any overwhelming good suggestions?? :) Good recommendations or considerations????

How about used car suggestions?

Let 'em rip. Thanks in advance.

See ya. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/seeya.gif
you need to get a cobaltss/sc

weeble
10-26-2009, 07:51 PM
I like your parameters - let us know what you do.

Purely from the sidelines and based on print, in certain trims that new Buick looks interesting to me.

Tesla
10-26-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm not much for domestics but if I were to recommend I'd probably go with a Lincoln MKZ (twin turbo to be released in the spring).

Depending on size, I think the imports have this segment in a big way... not sure exactly what you're thinking but I've owned/driven all of the following and think they are all AMAZING

BMW 335i
G35/37
5 Series BMW
Audi A4,5 or 6
Lexus IS350 or F
C-Class Benz

Each comes with its highs and lows depending upon what's important.

The 335i is a little race car. Handles amazing, but a bit bumpy and has a utilitarian finish, ditto on the utilitarian for the 5 series IMHO.

The C-Class Benz was redone for 2009 and is hot. Nice technology, pop up nav screen is killer and has "the Benz name".

Lexus is reliable and the technology is amazing. Fit and finish is second to none but it doesn't drive like the bimmer.

The Audi's are hot inside and out, although I'm not sure about their track record with reliability.

I say, go out with an open mind and test drive them all.

As I said, I generally have a "pro-import" bias but recently test drove an MKS and was VERY impressed with the finish and style of the car. It didn't drive as "sporty" as any of the imports, but the car was hot nevertheless.

ryandamartini
10-26-2009, 08:02 PM
I think an Audi S4 V8 would be a good choice for you. Sporty, very stylish, very quick. Handles great. AWD Quattro. You can get one for around 20k with lower mileage nowadays.

:)

tenorplayer23
10-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Well, nice list, but:

> No 3 Series, too small; 5 Series BMW might be the ticket, BUT, too much. If I was going to drop that much, my first choice for the money would be the new Grand Sport Corvette (that will be next.........).

> G35, again too small.......haven't tried a G37.

> Audi's: Now there's an interesting alternative.................maybe take look at them. Maybe a VW CC, as well. Good idea.

> Lexus: Good reputation..........but, an IS?? You must not be 6'3". A little snug & a lot of money for a little car. But, they have the tech. & quality, that's for sure. Plus, high residuals. ES350 is too blah. GS is too much for the car.

> Benz: Nope.........but nice. No "C" class......how about a 2010 CL-600 V12 super duper!! :)

Will look into the MKZ.........have read some about it; reviews are mixed. In that segment (pending head to head pricing - I think the Caddy CTS might be a better alternative........)

Thx.

I'm not much for domestics but if I were to recommend I'd probably go with a Lincoln MKZ (twin turbo to be released in the spring).

Depending on size, I think the imports have this segment in a big way... not sure exactly what you're thinking but I've owned/driven all of the following and think they are all AMAZING

BMW 335i
G35/37
5 Series BMW
Audi A4,5 or 6
Lexus IS350 or F
C-Class Benz

Each comes with its highs and lows depending upon what's important.

The 335i is a little race car. Handles amazing, but a bit bumpy and has a utilitarian finish, ditto on the utilitarian for the 5 series IMHO.

The C-Class Benz was redone for 2009 and is hot. Nice technology, pop up nav screen is killer and has "the Benz name".

Lexus is reliable and the technology is amazing. Fit and finish is second to none but it doesn't drive like the bimmer.

The Audi's are hot inside and out, although I'm not sure about their track record with reliability.

I say, go out with an open mind and test drive them all.

As I said, I generally have a "pro-import" bias but recently test drove an MKS and was VERY impressed with the finish and style of the car. It didn't drive as "sporty" as any of the imports, but the car was hot nevertheless.

detail viking
10-26-2009, 08:25 PM
I think the vw cc may be worth a test drive. It looks good to me. Also, the new Honda Accord v6 is very nice. And it runs a 13.9 quarter mile. Not bad for a family car. The quality of either should be light years beyond the American choices.

tenorplayer23
10-26-2009, 08:37 PM
The Honda is most reliable (but again pedestrian, unfortunately).............the CC is probably avg. reliability at best. But, the CC also has some more style to it. The Accord may be the best & most economical (based on residual values/TCO calculations) vehicle that fits the bill...........just can't bring myself to get a Honda, even if its made in Marysville, OH! :)

Thx. for the input though. Have to check out that CC...............:)

I think the vw cc may be worth a test drive. It looks good to me. Also, the new Honda Accord v6 is very nice. And it runs a 13.9 quarter mile. Not bad for a family car. The quality of either should be light years beyond the American choices.

dublifecrisis
10-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Used Lexus GS/LS, New Taurus SHO, 2010 Mustang GT, 07 Acura TL-S Manual, 2010 VW GTI (6'3"? no problem I swear), Newer Malibu? eh c'mon

Mirror Detailing
10-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Judging by snow, power, driveability, auto, comfort room...look into either a low mileage used or new SRT-8 Jeep. Trust me...this thing is the best of ALL words. Great Daily, gets pretty dam good gas mileage, 415hp, AWD, very very very very very nice interiors! All around great vehicles!

keke1987
10-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Genesis V8!!

tenorplayer23
10-27-2009, 12:18 AM
> GS - well, maybe. LS - NO.
> New SHO - skeptical of the first year of production and the price tag for that monster. Sounds nice in theory and I'll have to see/drive one to evaluate........but, it's a big car (aka, no doubt that "it will fir"......maybe too much car). Will have to find out in peson. Had two SHO's years ago....was a nice size car for the concept. The new one is HUGE compared to those two.
> Mustang - I've got a 'vette. No need & no utility for me. But, I sure would like to have a new Shelby GT 500..........yow. But, then again, is dropping ~$50K on Mustang a good idea? The $50K would be better spent on the next 'vette. A new Grand Sport.
> Acura TS - not a bad idea..........not sure I would opt for a manual. How about the TSX?
> VW GTI or Golf for that matter....I know they are quite good...and they do fit! I just think the CC would be more in keeping with the bigger car theory....but, a good idea to look at.
> Malibu - have to see, eh? :)

Used Lexus GS/LS, New Taurus SHO, 2010 Mustang GT, 07 Acura TL-S Manual, 2010 VW GTI (6'3"? no problem I swear), Newer Malibu? eh c'mon

> Jeep STR8, used or otherwise.......maybe look at a Charger SRT.....no SUV's if I can help it. Plus - "good gas mileage".....probably not as good as I'd like. At least have something in the ballpark with what I have.

Judging by snow, power, driveability, auto, comfort room...look into either a low mileage used or new SRT-8 Jeep. Trust me...this thing is the best of ALL words. Great Daily, gets pretty dam good gas mileage, 415hp, AWD, very very very very very nice interiors! All around great vehicles!

Thx. for the input.

MisterShark
10-27-2009, 08:40 AM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/MisterShark/Misc%20Pics/srt8chargerhood1.jpg

/thread