PDA

View Full Version : Leather/Not Leather

weeble
10-26-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm still confused about a couple things about leather and "leather-like" care. I get that parts of my seats are not leather, and things like the brake and shifter boot might or might not be leather. So I've been trying to figure that out, what's leather and what's not.

But now I wonder if it matters that much. If parts of my seat aren't leather, does Leatherique or Lexol mess it up? And if I 303 parts of my seats that are actually leather and not vinyl, that's probably OK too, right?

I've started to think there'd be more info on this if it was matter of great consequence. Maybe I just need to chill on this issue. What's a good approach to the leather/not leather game?

Emile
10-26-2009, 01:48 PM
It all depends on what those other surfaces are. There is leather, leatherette (faux leather), vinyl, alcantara, and fabric/carpet upholstery, to name the most popular.

The shifter boot and hand brake boot are most likely leather. Your steering wheel is also probably leather. Do you have a picture you could show us of your vehicle's seats?

I can't tell you what to do, but if I were in your shoes, I would choose a process that is safe for all the surfaces of your seats. It will eliminate any confusion and will make for a smoother process maintaining them.

It sounds like you may have to clean the seats with a cleaner that is safe on many interior surfaces, such as Meguiar's APC+ and then seal them up with a conditioner or protectant that also plays nicely with different surfaces, such as 303 Aerospace.

weeble
10-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Do you have a picture you could show us of your vehicle's seats?
I'll see if I can procure one. It all looks like leather, superficially. I've been hanging around a Volvo forum too and I have number opinions that are pretty much congruent regarding leather/not leather. It's what to do with the knowledge that I'm wondering about, if there's a serious issue if I'm wrong about that pouch on the bottom of the seat front.

...if I were in your shoes, I would choose a process that is safe for all the surfaces of your seats
This makes sense to me, and this is the direction I've been thinking of going, universal products. Even though I just refreshed my supply of Leatherique, I was thinking it might be wise to go with more general products. It seems intuitive that an oil-based product might over time cause problems with synthetics. But then I thought I might me overshooting the mark and taking this too seriously. I kept my last car, a mid-90's Saab, for 15 years and treated the entire seat and the boots as if they were leather and everything held up and looked truly great, right up to the end.

ScottB
10-26-2009, 05:24 PM
in general even leather used in automotive settings is coated leather and more like vinyl by design. It essentially has a coating on it to help protect from the environment. I rather like Einszett Leather Care, and its designed for coated leather and perfect for almost all uses.

Emile
10-26-2009, 06:04 PM
weeble, what year and model is your Volvo? In your avatar, it looks like a V70 Wagon, correct me if I'm wrong. And please provide a model year, if you can. Perhaps you can continue to use the Leatherique because my aunt had a Volvo V70 wagon for years and the seats were leather through and through.

weeble
10-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks everyone. It's an 06 XC70. Word on the street is that only the seating area is leather with a couple other real leather patches here and there.

Gary Sword
10-27-2009, 05:45 AM
These days they do a great job of making things look like leather when they are not and sometimes it is hard to tell the difference. After close inspection you can usually tell.

I have read a lot about coated leather and what and what not to use on it. I must say what I have read is usually someone's opinion with no scientific facts or testing to back it up.

I've been using Connolly Hide Care on my leather for years. From my experience it leaves even coated leather very soft and looking great. I always apply it when it's hot, I rub it in with my hands and let it soak in over night before buffing it off. It definitely soaks into even coated leather. I have also tried Pinnacle Leather Conditioner and Lexol on coated leather using the same procedure mentioned above. Both products definitely soak into coated leather. I do like Einszett interior products and I have tried Einszett Leather Care. Connolly leaves the leather noticable softer. Both products leave a nice semigloss new leather look.