PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Process Question

YUNVme
09-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Ok this is where I’m at on trying to figure out this detailing Matrix.
The process:
Wash
Clay
Wash
Polish
Paint Cleaner
Glaze
Sealant
Wax

Is this the process I should use to yield the best results? Remember that my car is not daily driven. I’m trying to figure out what products I should plug into these steps. This is where I’m at so far.

Wash = Meg’s NXT Car Wash or Meg’s Gold Class Car Wash
Clay = Meg’s Quick Clay System
Wash = Meg’s NXT Car Wash or Meg’s Gold Class Car Wash
Polish = Meg’s Scratch X
Paint Cleaner = Meg’s Paint Cleaner
Glaze = ???????
Sealant = ???????
Wax = Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax, Meg’s Clear Coat Liquid Wax, or
Meg’s NXT Tech Wax

This is based off of the products I currently own. Are their other or better products I should use from what I have? What products should I use for the processes that I have not plug something into yet? I will be using a PC with LC pads. Also if I am going to detail a daily driven automobile, should I use the same process or Add / Delete some steps? Your opinions or recommendations are highly regarded and welcomed. If more input is needed on my part let me know.

Thanks

Don

YUNVme
09-28-2006, 12:17 PM
If you are wondering why I have a lot of Meg’s products it is because I bought a big kit from an auto show I attended at the end of last year. It was a deal I could not pass up.

Don

FloridaNative
09-28-2006, 12:54 PM
I would forego the cleaner wax and the Tech Wax if you're going to be using it on top of a sealant as it will likely remove it. If you're using a sealant I would skip the glaze as well. Sealants like a very clean surface to bond to. I would apply 2 coats of sealant , 12-24 hours apart based on whichever sealant you are using, and then you can decide whether you want to top it with a wax or not. It is not necessary to top a sealant.

joe.p
09-28-2006, 01:48 PM
Also the glaze under the sealant is a no no

wash
clay
polish
rewash
seal
If you apply wax over your sealant make sure you don't use a wax with a cleaner over your sealant..

basically follow Jens advice ;)

P1et
09-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Intersting. So Joe, you're saying to wash the car after doing the polishing? I was thinking about that and I guess it makes sense as you have the dust everywhere. I'll try that on my first paid detail tomorrow.

FloridaNative
09-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Intersting. So Joe, you're saying to wash the car after doing the polishing? I was thinking about that and I guess it makes sense as you have the dust everywhere. I'll try that on my first paid detail tomorrow.

I agree too. I don't wash after claying but after polishing it's a good idea because of the dust and you can make sure you got all the swirls. If a wash isn't practical then you could do a water and isopropyl alcohol wipe down too.