PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing - Best Practice with Wolfgang Sealant question

Pages : [1] 2

DonMTV
10-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Hey Everyone,
I have a 2003 Mustang Cobra. I moved back to MA from Los Angeles back in May. I was able to detail my car using SSR 2.5, SSR 1, Clear Kote Red Moose Machine Glaze, and then Natty's Blue. I didn't get all of the issues out of the paint because of time and weather. It was hard to keep it clean this summer because the weather was horrendous.

I recently bought the Menzerna line of polishes, and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. The problem is that I don't have time to fully detail the car again because of work and the cold and rainy weather.

Do I need to strip the wax and re-polish the paint to prep for the Wolfgang Sealant to get protection for the winter? I am forced to drive this car during the winter and it is killing me that I will have to do it all the while subjecting it to salt and sand.

Should I just clean and then wax the car and hope for the best while washing the car occasionally at a touchless wash. What about protecting the undercarriage? I might have access to a power washer.

Thank you,
Don

I was thinking of buying some Collinite for winter protection.

MoBenzOwner
10-21-2009, 11:39 AM
I would wait and re-polish in spring. I would strip off what is left of the old wax however. You can use a strong wash to get most off or just use a paint cleaner like KAIO. If you strip the old wax you can use your wolfgang or any of the collinites. If you're not going strip the wax, I would skip the wolfgang and use any of the collinites. Again, optimally wash and use a paint cleaner type product for either approach. Thats my recommendation.

DonMTV
10-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I just might have to wash it with something stronger then my DP Extreme Foam wash. Any suggestions? The other soap I have is Meguiers Gold Wash from Target.

How about winterizing suggestions for undercarriage and suspension? I know here in Massachusetts there is going to be a lot of salt and sand on the roads.

As I said in my first post I might be able to get my hands on a power washer. What are the advantages to using one of those for washing a car versus two bucket method and a non power washer foam gun?

Thanks,
Don

ph16
10-22-2009, 05:14 AM
I think the one and only time to use a dish soap would be to strip wax off. I read a few places that Dawn dish soap would be good for this. Once you wax, don't use dish soap again unless you're going to rewax.

2003 GMC Denali
10-22-2009, 06:56 AM
Dawn is good as a Wax Stripper ?

Does it clean away all other traces of junk... like the Dealer's "at Time of Sale" Wax Treatment ?

ph16
10-22-2009, 07:17 AM
FWIW, it's one of those gray areas:
People on other forums recommend using Dawn Detergent Dish Washing Soap to wash my ca - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1895)
Edit: I'm not advocating using it, just presenting what I've found in my detailing journey (which is still in its infancy).

MoBenzOwner
10-22-2009, 08:21 AM
For a strong wash, I use p21s TAW which youcan get right here at the geek. Just spray off each panel with water, spray on the p21s and let it set (but DO NOT let it dry) and wash off with your regular Meguiars shampoo. Be sure to rinse real good. The p21s taw is some very versatile stuff whivh can be used on engine bays, brake dust, etc, etc. And it's paint safe.

DonMTV
10-22-2009, 12:26 PM
MoBenzOwner,
Thanks again for your suggestions. One of the posters said to use Dawn, and I don't think that I would ever use Dawn on a car. I know there have been numerous postings about its use here at the Geek and other forums, but I'd prefer a dedicated detail cleaner for the job.

I do have Meguiars Super Degreaser and All Pourpose Cleaner Plus. I don't believe those could be used, so I am probably going to have to purchase a specific soap for getting the wax off. I am out of days off this week so it will have to wait.

As far as protecting the rest of the vehicle from salt and sand damage, what is the best practice for protection? I am still talking underneath the car, wheel wells, and places we typically do not take a DA and polishes.

With salt and sand being a problem in the future how often should I be washing the car? How long does it take the salt to wreak havoc on the car?

Thanks for any help given,
Don

Bulla2000
10-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Congrats to your decision about the wolfgang. Its a great sealant, but I recommend to wash and polish the car before taking the wolfgang.

2011wahoo
10-22-2009, 01:44 PM
MoBenzOwner,
One of the posters said to use Dawn, and I don't think that I would ever use Dawn on a car.

Dawn is widely used to strip wax off of a cars finish. Many professional detailers use Dawn as their first step in cleaning a car that is going to be polished and waxed. Dawn will not harm your cars finish so do not be hesitant to use Dawn if you plan on applying a new coat of wax.

MoBenzOwner
10-22-2009, 01:50 PM
I would stay away from the degreaser for sure and probably the apc+. Maybe others here have experience with apc+ and will comment, but I dont. I dont do anything specific for the undercarraige as I am in SE MO and we dont get but 3 or 4 storms a year of any consequence. I just make sure I pressure wash the undercarriage after salt etc is put on the roads. I do that the first chance I get once the roads have dried.

MoBenzOwner
10-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Dawn is widely used to strip wax off of a cars finish. Many professional detailers use Dawn as their first step in cleaning a car that is going to be polished and waxed. Dawn will not harm your cars finish so do not be hesitant to use Dawn if you plan on applying a new coat of wax.

I also dont think dawn hurts at all if used only ocasionally. I wouldn't use it more than once a year. One argument against dawn is that some believe it dries out trim and rubber seals if used more than just on that rare ocassion.

loudog2
10-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Try using Dodo lime prime w/abrasives. It will remove minor defects and leave the paint ready for the sealant. I use it with either the PC or flex w/a grey LC pad. It's just an alternative to a full polish detail.

ml13
11-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Before Winter I degrease the undercarriage and protect it with Sonus Trim & Motor Kote. If I need to clean the wheel wells or rinse off salt and whatnot, Ill follow up with some Griots or Chem guys Undercarriage spray to add soem more protection. Worked well for me so far and Im up in the Northeast.

T Riddle
11-11-2009, 11:59 PM
50/50 Isopropyl Alcohol takes off anything. And its ubber cheap :xyxthumbs: