PDA

View Full Version : Do pressure washers strip wax?

Emile
10-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Hi,

Like the title says. I've been thinking about this for a few days because it has completely never occurred to me until recently.

Can a pressure washer be too hard on wax and sealant? Personally, mine is 1,750psi and 1.5GPM. Is this capable of stripping paint protection?

Thanks,
Emile

Mike Phillips
10-20-2009, 07:58 AM
After years of being conditioned to think in AR or D.O. extreme logic due to the nature of online detailing enthusiasts, here's one way to position the topic...

Will blasting your car's paint with a pressure washer at 1,750psi add more wax?

Of course a huge factor will be how close you hold the wand tip to the paint.

:D

Emile
10-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the response, Mike. Your post makes a lot of sense.

Does anyone else have any experience with their pressure washer and wax durability and can comment on this issue?

Anthonys88
10-20-2009, 11:37 AM
I just keep my 5.5 hp Honda on a low setting that does not use a lot of water (for my mobile rig) and keep the wand nice and far away with a fan spray pattern

loudog2
10-20-2009, 11:45 AM
How close and what tip are you using? These are the questions. They have a delicate autowash tip included with my troybuilt 2500.

Mike Phillips
10-20-2009, 11:49 AM
I just keep my 5.5 hp Honda on a low setting that does not use a lot of water (for my mobile rig) and keep the wand nice and far away with a fan spray pattern

Great practice.

:xyxthumbs:

astrogus
10-20-2009, 01:59 PM
I've been using my 2500 psi Honda GX commercial pressure washer with the white 40 degree tip.

Emile
10-20-2009, 09:41 PM
I just use the Vario-Wand on my Karcher unit with the setting all the way up and I am usually aiming the tip of the nozzle at least a couple of feet away from the car. Not too far away because it's a very concentrated stream but not so close as to not be hard on the paintwork.

I never use the Rotating Nozzle. Karcher says it increases power up to 50% compared to the Vario-Wand....the Rotating Nozzle is best left for cleaning driveways and decks and stuff, which I never do anyways.

Gary Sword
10-21-2009, 06:34 AM
Personally I don't like to use my pressure washer on my paint. Sometimes I may use it on the wheels, wheel well and undercarriage. I think you strip a little wax off anytime you wash your car no matter what method you use.