PDA

View Full Version : How to upload a photo into your Autogeek Photo Gallery

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Mike Phillips
10-19-2009, 06:46 PM
How to upload a photo into your Autogeek Photo Gallery (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-do-different-types-things-ag-discussion-forum/21295-how-upload-photo-into-your-autogeek-photo-gallery.html)

This how-to article will show you how to upload a photo on your computer into your photo gallery that you get with your Autogeek discussion forum membership.

It's important to resize your pictures first in an effort to be a good steward of the Autogeek resources; we'll write a how-to article for that in the near future.

First, make sure you're logged-in to the Autogeek forum. If you're not sure how to tell if you're logged in, here's an article that will show you how to tell.

How to tell if you're logged into the forum? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-do-different-types-things-ag-discussion-forum/21293-how-tell-if-you-re-logged-into-forum.html)

Next, locate the text link in the gray horizontal navigation bar that runs across the top of every page of the forum and >click< on it.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/765/UploadAPhoto001.jpg

Next, you need to know where your photos are on your computer that you want to upload. This may seem like a no-brainer but sometimes Newbies to computers and digital cameras know their photos are on their computer, but they don't know where.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/smilies/dunno.gif

So make sure you know the location of the folder that holds the photos you want to upload because you're going to need to tell the PhotoPost Gallery where the photos are stored by browsing to them.

After clicking to your gallery, you'll see a screen that looks like this,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/765/UploadAPhoto002.jpg

If you have more than one photo to upload, continue to >click< on the Browse button and select another photo. Remember which photos you have added and try not to select the same photo twice.

Next, add a title, description and keywords for your photos and then >click< on the Upload/Submit button. If you want to add different titles, descriptions and keywords for each photo you will have a chance to do this in the next screen when uploading multiple pictures.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/765/UploadAPhoto003.jpg

Ta da! That's it, you have just successfully uploaded your photos into your photo gallery here on the Autogeek Online Discussion Forum.

Next we'll take a look at how to insert your photos into your messages.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Harleyguy
10-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Great write up Mike that should save alot of PM's

S2K
08-23-2010, 07:00 AM
How can I move photos I have already uploaded into different folders? I figured out out to create folders but I can't seem to figure out how to move them, or can I?

Mike Phillips
08-23-2010, 07:41 AM
How can I move photos I have already uploaded into different folders? I figured out out to create folders but I can't seem to figure out how to move them, or can I?

I don't think you can move them, I'm not sure I can move them in via the Admin interface as I've uploaded photos into the wrong gallery and tried... ended up doing it the old fashioned way...

Delete photos in wrong folders
Re-upload photos into right folders

What a pain...

If you upload a lot of photos it does help to have a lot of dedicated folders and/or tag them really well to make it easier to find them via the search option.

:)

S2K
08-23-2010, 07:55 AM
I don't think you can move them, I'm not sure I can move them in via the Admin interface as I've uploaded photos into the wrong gallery and tried... ended up doing it the old fashioned way...

Delete photos in wrong folders
Re-upload photos into right folders

What a pain...

If you upload a lot of photos it does help to have a lot of dedicated folders and/or tag them really well to make it easier to find them via the search option.

Thanks Mike,
Good thing I don't have a lot in there yet, I was just trying to organize things better, like you said so I can find them.

A4 1.8tqm
08-23-2010, 08:27 AM

You can, go to the photo you want to move to a different album and select "edit photo" choose "move to album" then choose the destination album and click "Save changes". :xyxthumbs:

IMO, FWIW...

I don't use the Autogeek photo gallery due to the simple inconvenience's of:

1- Having to select each photo one by one for upload. In my computer, my files are sorted into many specific folders so I know where everything is, making it quite a chore to navigate to a specific picture folder multiple times in order to upload several photos.

2- Inability to Resize/Crop or edit. I don't like to keep multiple copies of the same picture/file, but rather the full quality version on my computer and the resized/cropped version uploaded for posting.

3- All the other features included in free online photo gallery's.

Maybe I'm just stubborn, but the "all in one" convenience of photobucket etc. far out weigh the severely limited Autogeek Photo Gallery. I know it sucks when people end up leaving red X's because of moved/deleted pics (If they use up all the free space, why not just start a new free account??), but I for one will not use the gallery unless it gets a major overhaul. My $0.02 :bolt:

Kurt_s
09-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Hi Mike,
I'm reasonably handy with a computer having played with PCs since the early 80's, and own both Windows and Mac computers.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but this is not a user friendly system.

I've had to edit and rename each picture, then try to upload them. They seem to get stuck in a netherworld until I can process them. I'd like to put them into separate folders so each project or set of pictures can be viewed as a group. I think that I'm setting up a new group of pictures but they get combined with others? Yikes!

It will be easier to post pics as thumbnails. It would helpful if one of the links for inserting images automatically pointed back towards the Autogeek albums or accepted a "my computer" browser selection.

My 2 cents as well.

Shade Tree
09-30-2010, 12:02 AM
Hi Mike,
I'm reasonably handy with a computer having played with PCs since the early 80's, and own both Windows and Mac computers.

I've had to edit and rename each picture, then try to upload them. They seem to get stuck in a netherworld until I can process them. I'd like to put them into separate folders so each project or set of pictures can be viewed as a group. I think that I'm setting up a new group of pictures but they get combined with others? Yikes!

It will be easier to post pics as thumbnails. It would helpful if one of the links for inserting images automatically pointed back towards the Autogeek albums or accepted a "my computer" browser selection.

My 2 cents as well.

:iagree: ............. which is why I ultimately decided against uploading.

Mike Phillips
09-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Hi Mike,

Remember, I didn't create the software, just did my best to create a tutorial on how to use it. I use it everyday, but understand it can be confusing till you do it once or twice.

I'm going to guess I upload and insert more pictures than most people, more people than anyone I know actually, so it's second nature to me.

I think there's over 200 pictures in this thread alone

Virtual Car Show - South East Rods & Customs in Jupiter, Florida! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/26891-virtual-car-show-south-east-rods-customs-jupiter-florida.html)

in which I,

Renamed each file
Cropped out the fluff
Resized to 800 pixels wide
Uploaded to the AG Gallery
Inserted into the thread to make it "easy" for everyone to see the pictures

The problem with photo hosting sites like Photobucket is that most people use free accounts and plaster their pictures all over the Internet, then when they run out of free space, they simply delete pictures to make room for new pictures and everywhere this person plastered their pictures will then turn into a red x or a default graphic stating the picture has been deleted.

Kind of takes the value out of a thread.

I've taught hundreds of people how to use PhotoPost Gallery over the years, first at MOL and now here, if you want to call me when you're behind your computer I will be more than happy to walk you through how to upload pictures to your gallery.

To start with, e-mail me a picture you tried to upload and let me try as a way of troubleshooting...

I haven't uploaded a lot of pictures today but here's one I cropped and then uploaded and how have inserted for a second time today, so the system does work and PhotoPost is the Cadillac of photo hosting software for discussion forums. I have one myself on my personal discussion forum, ShowCarGarage.com

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/1963chevroletImpala.jpg

Always willing to lend a helping cyberhand...

Mike Phillips
09-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Here's the same picture "attached", and while attaching makes it so someone can see your photo, it's pain in the behind whereas "inserting" makes it easy, especially if the picture isn't so wide a person has to horizontal srcoll....

Kurt_s
09-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Remember, I didn't create the software, just did my best to create a tutorial on how to use it. I use it everyday, but understand it can be confusing till you do it once or twice.

I'm going to guess I upload and insert more pictures than most people, more people than anyone I know actually, so it's second nature to me.

I think there's over 200 pictures in this thread alone in which I,

Renamed each file
Cropped out the fluff
Resized to 800 pixels wide
Uploaded to the AG Gallery
Inserted into the thread to make it "easy" for everyone to see the pictures

The problem with photo hosting sites like Photobucket is that most people use free accounts and plaster their pictures all over the Internet, then when they run out of free space, they simply delete pictures to make room for new pictures and everywhere this person plastered their pictures will then turn into a red x or a default graphic stating the picture has been deleted.

Kind of takes the value out of a thread.

I've taught hundreds of people how to use PhotoPost Gallery over the years, first at MOL and now here, if you want to call me when you're behind your computer I will be more than happy to walk you through how to upload pictures to your gallery.

To start with, e-mail me a picture you tried to upload and let me try as a way of troubleshooting...

I haven't uploaded a lot of pictures today but here's one I cropped and then uploaded and how have inserted for a second time today, so the system does work and PhotoPost is the Cadillac of photo hosting software for discussion forums. I have one myself on my personal discussion forum, ShowCarGarage.com

Always willing to lend a helping cyberhand...

Mike,
Can I set up sub-folders in the gallery so that a set of a detail project or product review is separate from another? Can I change the name of the picture once uploaded or do I have to delete and reload the picture? Also, can I set up a folder that contains private pictures for friends rather than full public display?

Mike Phillips
09-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Mike,
Can I set up sub-folders in the gallery so that a set of a detail project or product review is separate from another? Can I change the name of the picture once uploaded or do I have to delete and reload the picture? Also, can I set up a folder that contains private pictures for friends rather than full public display?

You can set up dedicated folders, I don't believe you can rename the actual file as in change,

redpicture.jpg

to

bluepicture.jpg

You can edit any titles, descriptions, or tags.

And I know as an Admin I can set up private folders I don't know about members, I would have to change my status and check it out.

I know Photobucket and Flickr as well as other photo hosting companies offer these cool features and that's to their benefit. I have accounts on both Photobucket and Flickr but I own my own vBulletin forum with my own PhotoPost Gallery so I use that for my photos.

Again, the problem with these sites is "most" people only sign up for the free accounts and later delete photos they posted the URL Address to all over the Internet and then the pictures disappear from the thread.

Kurt_s
09-30-2010, 11:58 AM
You can set up dedicated folders, I don't believe you can rename the actual file as in change,

redpicture.jpg

to

bluepicture.jpg

You can edit any titles, descriptions, or tags.

And I know as an Admin I can set up private folders I don't know about members, I would have to change my status and check it out.

The uploading process and software capabilities seem to be a weakness. I personally don't keep a photobucket account, as I don't plan to upload photos everywhere on the net. It would be nice if I can figure out how to set up the different folders.

Thinking about it, I probably wouldn't want to rename pics as the linked images within threads might be deleted.

Thanks!

Dubbin1
09-30-2010, 12:04 PM
The uploading process and software capabilities seem to be a weakness. I personally don't keep a photobucket account, as I don't plan to upload photos everywhere on the net. It would be nice if I can figure out how to set up the different folders.

Thinking about it, I probably wouldn't want to rename pics as the linked images within threads might be deleted.

Thanks!

Kurt, photobucket really is the easiest way to go for what you are wanting to do. With it you can even make folders within folders.

Kurt_s
09-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Kurt, photobucket really is the easiest way to go for what you are wanting to do. With it you can even make folders within folders.
Dwayne, How many images can you store in a free photobucket account?