PDA

View Full Version : Bird Poop, Two Courses of Action, WWYD ?

si_chris
10-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Need some quick advice!

So i parked under a tree... my car was pearl harbor and the birds wer-... you get it.

I saturated the problem areas with QD and wiped it gently down with a microfiber, the white residue is gone but that black gunk is stuck on their like frozen gum.

The poops been on there for almost 12 hours, i am on my college campus, and thus have none of my resources at home to take care of the problem properly.

What i DO have here is... QD, MF Towels, and Devilsprings Vodka.

Should i go out and remove the black stuff with the alcohol and mf? Should i nick at it with my nails/ rub hard?

OR

Should i wait a week for me to go home, i might be doing more damage than helping it.

Halp.

Edit* There are two layers of Klasse SG on my car, but from what i know, the acidic properties of bird droppings eat through sealant np..

Finemess
10-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Can you hit the coin car wash and wash it off?

si_chris
10-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Class in 30 minutes, i can do it tonight, or i can pick at it now before class.

WHEC716
10-19-2009, 09:22 PM
ONR to the rescue!

Matt
10-20-2009, 03:12 AM
Devilsprings Vodka.

Should i go out and remove the black stuff with the alcohol and mf?

Vodka, interesting. Does it actually work like an IPA wipedown might? I doubt it but still....Maybe?

If it's really well adhered to the paint, you'll probably need a paint cleanser like P21s Paint Cleansing lotion (or similar). If it's actually embedded in the paint like rail dust (or other contamination), then a claybar might be in order.

I'm not really sure if leaving it in will do much damage in the short run (say a week or so) as long as the acidic component has been neutralized- which the QD should have taken care of.

Emile
10-20-2009, 07:47 AM
I'm surprised that a QD isn't picking all of it up. Maybe go to a local automotive store and pickup a bottle of waterless wash and try that? Either way, I wouldn't freak out if I were you. Whenever I get bird poop on my car I usually wait for the next car wash to get it off because removing it improperly can scratch up the paint.

Jossy92
10-20-2009, 08:35 AM
For what it's worth:

On a cool surface, in the shade, I usually tear off a a piece of paper towel about the size of the residue. I hit the spot with QD and the place the paper on top. Then I moisten the towel with the QD.

Once it took about 20 minutes (and a few extra QD squirts to keep the paper moist), but, I have always been able to just pick up the towel and residue without any rubbing. It lifts right off.

Same thing on vertical surfaces except I wad up 1-2 squares of toilet paper which easily stick to the pre-QD'd spot. The TP stays on unless you get it too wet.

The wet paper just keeps the residue soaking, more QD is not better. (The added weight of too much QD makes the paper slide off vertical surfaces.

It has worked on welded on bird droppings in August Socal summers.

DLB
10-20-2009, 11:25 AM
For what it's worth:

On a cool surface, in the shade, I usually tear off a a piece of paper towel about the size of the residue. I hit the spot with QD and the place the paper on top. Then I moisten the towel with the QD.

Once it took about 20 minutes (and a few extra QD squirts to keep the paper moist), but, I have always been able to just pick up the towel and residue without any rubbing. It lifts right off.

Same thing on vertical surfaces except I wad up 1-2 squares of toilet paper which easily stick to the pre-QD'd spot. The TP stays on unless you get it too wet.

The wet paper just keeps the residue soaking, more QD is not better. (The added weight of too much QD makes the paper slide off vertical surfaces.

It has worked on welded on bird droppings in August Socal summers.:iagree::goodpost::whs:

Wonder how many more smilies I could use...http://slickorange.com/board/icon/think.gif

DLB

Jossy92
10-20-2009, 03:53 PM
:iagree::goodpost::whs:

Wonder how many more smilies I could use...http://slickorange.com/board/icon/think.gif

DLB

:thankyousign:

(This Newb appreciates being able to give a little back to the form, even if it is a bunch of "crap". )