PDA

View Full Version : Paint recommendation for chip repair

fritzdog
09-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Now that I’ve learned how to properly take care of my car’s finish (thanks to AG :) ), I want to fix some of the paint chips on the hood and a little larger scrape on the roof of our 2004 Rendezvous before the colder weather arrives. I ordered one of the Langka kits from AG so now I just need a recommendation regarding paint. Should I buy paint from the Buick dealer, a Duplicolor paint pen from my local auto parts store or order from paintscratch.com? The color is black so I would imagine that matching the color would not really be an issue. Is one better than another?

Thanks, Fritz

teeks
09-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Personally ive never had to do anything like this, but if the best results are all you are interested in then the dealership is your best bet. im sure it would be more expensive but at least you would know its the right stuff.

ScottB
09-27-2006, 04:38 PM
I too suggest a professional ... Langka is about as good as it gets while using yourself.

http://www.autogeek.net/langka.html

Reddwarf
09-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Personally, I had trouble getting the Langka system to work well for me. I bought touch up paint from the dealer. I checked paintscratch and with shipping I think it was more expensive.

alban61
09-27-2006, 07:17 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1929

Check the above thread. I also ordered the Langka and used it to remove yellow road paint as well as fix chips and scratch. Last post on that thread is an update and pictures of the chip and scratch repair with Langka. It worked well on the chips. Did okay on the scratch. Probably would've concealed better if there wasn't a slight dent where the scratch is/was. Caused by my son's guitar case. :mad: I purchased the touch-up paint at the dealership. Cost $6.18

teeks
09-28-2006, 09:12 AM
alban i wonder how well the langka would work on my car since at this point its about 10 years old and the previous owner did a lot of highway driving, there is a ton of rock chips on the front, im debating what to do about them, ill post some pictures when i get home a little later since im at school right now, which is another compounding factor... that college thing is awfully expensive =p

alban61
09-28-2006, 07:50 PM
alban i wonder how well the langka would work on my car since at this point its about 10 years old and the previous owner did a lot of highway driving, there is a ton of rock chips on the front, im debating what to do about them, ill post some pictures when i get home a little later since im at school right now, which is another compounding factor... that college thing is awfully expensive =p
From what I've heard, it's easier to hide chips with touch-up paint on white vehicles. So the Langka would probably work for you. I've read up on another product called Touchup123. Works for some, not for others, as with all chip repair kits. I personally haven't tried Touchup123, but it sure sounds good for "a ton of rock chips". I didn't have that many chips to deal with, that's why I tried the Langka.
Now remember, I'm just a newbe to all this detailing stuff. So this info is just from my limited experience. There are lots of people on this forum with tons of experience, and I enjoy learning from all of them. I'm hooked and addicted. AG Online is the best!! :righton: