PDA

View Full Version : 'Wax Machine Stick' packaging: Great Idea! Why no Others?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MisterShark
10-12-2009, 09:26 AM
As the price of DA machines has become very affordable and more of us move in that direction, I ask this question: why haven't any manufacturers jumped on the 'machine stick' applicator packaging form factor as Dodo has (http://www.autogeek.net/car-wax-machine-stick.html) ?

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/SNMS.jpg

This seems like such a logical progression.
I've just acquired my DA and admittedly have not had the chance to try it out yet with a paste wax from a tin, so I'm only able to theorize, but it just seems like it would be so much easier to apply the product to your pad with this deoderant-style dispenser.

Even a more traditional tin form factor could be updated with a push-up bottom. If there are any of you that use (or whose Father uses) Old Spice's traditional round stick deoderant, you know what I'm talking about.

Mister B
10-12-2009, 09:47 AM
That's a pretty neat idea.

My guess is the reason most manufactures do not do it is because there is not much of a call for it from the pro detailing industry (larger market). The majority of those people that use machines to wax vehicles seem to be using liquid waxes. From what I have seen it is the enthusiasts (smaller market), like the folks on this site that want to apply paste waxes by machine.

I could be wrong, but that is what my guess is.

mchess1
10-12-2009, 09:53 AM
As the price of DA machines has become very affordable and more of us move in that direction, I ask this question: why haven't any manufacturers jumped on the 'machine stick' applicator packaging form factor as Dodo has (http://www.autogeek.net/car-wax-machine-stick.html) ?

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/SNMS.jpg

This seems like such a logical progression.
I've just acquired my DA and admittedly have not had the chance to try it out yet with a paste wax from a tin, so I'm only able to theorize, but it just seems like it would be so much easier to apply the product to your pad with this deoderant-style dispenser.

Even a more traditional tin form factor could be updated with a push-up bottom. If there are any of you that use (or whose Father uses) Old Spice's traditional round stick deoderant, you know what I'm talking about.

Griots too, although I haven't tried it.

Griot's Garage Carnauba Wax Stick, Griots Garage Car Wax Stick, Roll on wax stick (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-wax-stick.html)

MisterShark
10-12-2009, 10:04 AM
As Max is the owner of both this forum board and DP, these topic posts/replies serve as a nice direct-access medium for consumer feedback and product R&D therein.

Who knows....

...maybe we'll see MaxWax in a 'machine stick' or 'push-up tin' form factor sometime in the future.

ScottB
10-12-2009, 05:42 PM
My personal thoughts :

1. Most people still apply wax by hand, and jars and liquid squeeze bottles hold more product and easiest to remove wax from in hand applications.

2. What happens if you put to much of the wax out there, and it breaks off ??? Where do you store the broken piece ?? A hard wax might be more inclined to break versus transfer.

Again just my thoughts ...

agpatel
10-12-2009, 06:07 PM
My personal thoughts :

1. Most people still apply wax by hand, and jars and liquid squeeze bottles hold more product and easiest to remove wax from in hand applications.

2. What happens if you put to much of the wax out there, and it breaks off ??? Where do you store the broken piece ?? A hard wax might be more inclined to break versus transfer.

Again just my thoughts ...

Good point on it breaking. Also you can make your own, get a empty deodorant holder like that, find them all over online. Melt your wax and pour it into the holder and let it cool. Only issue is what Killrwheels said, it can break easily if you are not careful. I tried DA waxing once and never again, just felt wrong and feel like by hand I do much better job and less risk of swirls or anything. Also, that is my favorite part of the job putting on that final "candy" coating.

Matt
10-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Also, that is my favorite part of the job putting on that final "candy" coating.

Agreed, the thought of DA waxing just doesn't seem right to me, and applying that final step by hand, wow! It feels so good!

Meghan
10-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Interesting that you all bring this up, we have looked into this several times. But to be honest there is no demand for it, those that have the machine stick do not see them move fast. Sounds like a great idea, but without demand for it no reason to do it.

Frank787
10-13-2009, 12:45 AM
It's pretty easy to squeeze Meguiars Gold Class paste wax into a deodorant container. I haven 't tried any others. Used a cookie press for awhile but like the deodorant container better.

BuckeyeR/T
10-13-2009, 07:37 AM
I just turn the jar of P21S over on to the pad. Kind of the same idea.

MisterShark
10-13-2009, 08:26 AM
I just turn the jar of P21S over on to the pad. Kind of the same idea.

I wasn't aware that paste waxes pop so easily out of their tins.
As I mentioned in the OP I'm new to machine use in detailing, so I'm all theory and no practice at this point I'm afraid.

Meghan
10-13-2009, 08:42 AM
I wasn't aware that paste waxes pop so easily out of their tins.
As I mentioned in the OP I'm new to machine use in detailing, so I'm all theory and no practice at this point I'm afraid.

Most all waxes will pop out if you first pop them on the counter with lid on, it helps loosen them. I know a few people that actually wear a microfiber glove when putting wax on the pad.

Meghan
10-13-2009, 08:43 AM
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/pasteappPC.jpg

This is Souveran being put on a pad.

ryandamartini
10-13-2009, 08:57 AM
I like using the DA to wax. From an efficiency standpoint, I always use much less wax. I can wax a full size truck by putting maxwax or souveran on the black pad.

BuckeyeR/T
10-13-2009, 01:10 PM
I like using the DA to wax. From an efficiency standpoint, I always use much less wax. I can wax a full size truck by putting maxwax or souveran on the black pad.
How about how cool it is the slap a microfiber bonnet over a wool pad to take it off?
I love that. Well, my back mostly loves that. :)