PDA

View Full Version : Too early to polish?

si_chris
10-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Hello! New to the forums, and couldnt find a topic with this question =/

I have a relatively new car, almost 4000 miles, rallye red civic si 09. It is daily driven and left out parked in the street.

I just purchased Klasee SG and P21S, and i want to use them as soon as possible.
Now, my paint is not in perfect condition, and from what ive been reading, you should exercise all your efforts in perfecting the paint before you decide to 'seal' it in. It has some minor swirling (which is not much of a big deal, but i ocd), i try to keep the swirls away using pinnacle xmt carnauba finishing glaze after every wash, but they are still there.

Heres the question: Is it too early to use a polish (i have pinnacle swrirl remover #2 via PC) on a new car (4k miles) ? Honda is notorious for having "soft" and "thin" clearcoats, i feel like i would be compromising the finish on my car.
Or am i just thinking to much :P ?

Harleyguy
10-10-2009, 05:21 PM
I haven't used the XMT product but as far is it being to early to correct your fine.When the car leaves the factory the paint is all ready cured unlike when you have bodyshop work and they say will until you polish it.Any glaze is going to make the swirls look like they are gone until you wash the car and they are back since most glazes have fillers.The other question is what pad are you going to use with the Pc.You just need to look on the Pinn chart and see how aggressive of product it is.

ScottB
10-10-2009, 05:29 PM
start polishing as soon as you get her home !

TurboToys
10-10-2009, 07:01 PM
even if your car is brand new. guess what, the place you buy it from will have a guy or two go and wash your car for you, and they swirl it, no matter what, because i have yet to see a dealership hire a real and true detailer who knows how to keep paint from being scratched during a wash.

garunteed, if its been washed incorrectly at least twice, then it already has a good amount of swirls in the paint, especially if it has gone unprotected at one time or another.

if you are worried about removing too much paint, then just start real light with the polish and only remove a little at a time til you know your good and safe.

i dont like to remove the deeper random scratches, just swirls and light scratches to keep as much clear as possible so the paint will be good for years to come.

si_chris
10-11-2009, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, i think i will go over my car LIGHTLY with the xmt swirl remover #2, right now i dont have the money to grab the milder polish, so i figure i can work less of the polish into my paint, and lessen the contact weight in between my pc and my car.

Another quick question, The Klasse SG requires a day of curing before doing another layer of it.. does this only apply to layering itself, or do i have to wait an entire day before i can top it off with the p21s.

sparkie
10-11-2009, 03:24 AM
:dblthumb2:Like the guys already said, go ahead and polish it...When I first got my truck in 05 that's what I did...I clayed first then polish it.....Im the MAN

Gary Sword
10-11-2009, 05:53 AM
When I purchased my black Z06 the first thing I did was check it out under halogens when I got it home. It had a lot of swirls that weren't noticeable when it was sitting in the dealer’s showroom. Dealers are very good a swirling up a new car. I polished the car when it had about 30 miles on it.

TurboToys
10-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, i think i will go over my car LIGHTLY with the xmt swirl remover #2, right now i dont have the money to grab the milder polish, so i figure i can work less of the polish into my paint, and lessen the contact weight in between my pc and my car.

Another quick question, The Klasse SG requires a day of curing before doing another layer of it.. does this only apply to layering itself, or do i have to wait an entire day before i can top it off with the p21s.

for cure times, you want to give it the full cure before putting anything on top of it

MikeyC
10-11-2009, 03:14 PM
When I purchased my black Z06 the first thing I did was check it out under halogens when I got it home. It had a lot of swirls that weren't noticeable when it was sitting in the dealer’s showroom. Dealers are very good a swirling up a new car. I polished the car when it had about 30 miles on it.
:iagree:

When I bought my car new two years ago the first thing I did when I got it home was to polish it and then wax it.

sullysdetailing
10-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Hello! New to the forums, and couldnt find a topic with this question =/

I have a relatively new car, almost 4000 miles, rallye red civic si 09. It is daily driven and left out parked in the street.

I just purchased Klasee SG and P21S, and i want to use them as soon as possible.
Now, my paint is not in perfect condition, and from what ive been reading, you should exercise all your efforts in perfecting the paint before you decide to 'seal' it in. It has some minor swirling (which is not much of a big deal, but i ocd), i try to keep the swirls away using pinnacle xmt carnauba finishing glaze after every wash, but they are still there.

Heres the question: Is it too early to use a polish (i have pinnacle swrirl remover #2 via PC) on a new car (4k miles) ? Honda is notorious for having "soft" and "thin" clearcoats, i feel like i would be compromising the finish on my car.
Or am i just thinking to much :P ?

XMT #2 is not agressive. You can polish a car the day you get it from the dealership. You only have to wait to polish or wax your car when you get it back from the body shop. Your suppose to let the paint curve for 30 days.

si_chris
10-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the responses. I did polish my car, and followed with two coats of sealant with 24hrs inbetween. It looks amazing! Better than any OTC product I've ever used. <3 klasse. I haven't even been able to use my ps21 topper. Think I'll go for 3 coats of sg before the wax, seems to be the magic number before diminishing returns.

si_chris
10-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Looks like i stumbled onto another problem. Before applying my third coat of klasse sg i wiped down the entire car down with megs ultimate quick detailer. This detailer claims to have polymers that will bead up water (it actually works), will this compromise my third coat of sg, which immediately followed this product?

Mike Phillips
10-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Looks like i stumbled onto another problem. Before applying my third coat of klasse sg i wiped down the entire car down with megs ultimate quick detailer. This detailer claims to have polymers that will bead up water (it actually works), will this compromise my third coat of sg, which immediately followed this product?

Those Hydrophobic polymers probably will interfere with anything applied over the top of them but at this point what can you do?

A. Strip the finish and start over.
B. Apply the SG as planned.

I would go with B

:)