PDA

View Full Version : Different between Sealant & Paint Protection System

Justin
10-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi Guys,

Can anyone there provide me some information between the on shelf Sealant and the Paint Protection System? How they are different?
Thank you.

ScottB
10-09-2009, 08:55 AM
not sure I understand the question ...a sealant or a wax can both be considered paint protection. A system is likely a grouping of products that work together in paint protection like a Pinnacle Sizzling Souveran Kit for example.

As for paint protection, you can commonly break them down into two groups:

waxes --- uses some natural products like carnauba to protect paint. Protection is temporarily and should be replaced often. These often sit above the paint and most add a sunscreen type product for protection.

sealants --- often synthetic or designed by man to mimic waxes. These products often seal or interlock together to protect paint. Often they last long than their wax counterparts yet dont always look as nice. These also need to have a sunscreen added to protect from UV/Sun exposure.

Does that help ???

christian900se
10-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I think he means the difference between a traditional sealant and those dealer "4 Year" protection systems. I think that they use sealants that bond to the paint, but they NEVER last the period of time they say. I say just do some research into a traditional sealant, since many have very good durability and look great.

Justin
10-09-2009, 05:22 PM
I think he means the difference between a traditional sealant and those dealer "4 Year" protection systems. I think that they use sealants that bond to the paint, but they NEVER last the period of time they say. I say just do some research into a traditional sealant, since many have very good durability and look great.

Hi Christian900se,

Yes. I'm refering to that. I know that the protection provide by the dealers using the bonding agent to bond to the paint surface. Do you have any technical information between them? Can you guys share it with me?
Thank you.

AeroCleanse
10-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Hi Christian900se,

Yes. I'm refering to that. I know that the protection provide by the dealers using the bonding agent to bond to the paint surface. Do you have any technical information between them? Can you guys share it with me?
Thank you.

I don't know what dealers use. The closest thing I know of is Optimum Opti-Coat.

christian900se
10-09-2009, 07:39 PM
I think it is similar to poly-charging, where a chemical is included in a sealant that physically bonds on a molecular level to the paint. I'm sure you can look online for some commercial grade paint sealant but alot of those "dealer protection systems" use company specific products.

ASPHALT ROCKET
10-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Justin, since I was a service manager at a dealership for years all it is, is a sealant. The dealership does nothing different, it is not a stage product. They was the car, dry and apply the sealant and charge you an enormous amount of money for something you can buy cheaper and better here at AG. The only thing that is different is the warranty you get with it at the dealership which is so full of loop holes it isn't even funny. I had so many people try to get things warrantied through the paint protection plan and every one was denied.

christian900se
10-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the information Asphalt, great to know! My issue with those dealer protection packages is that practically every single new car I have seen or detailed has minor to severe marring already and needs correction. Even if it is protected, I would hate to look at any swirls and would want it to actually look like a new car; defect free. So once that buffer touchs the paint, there goes $400 haha.

wytstang
10-10-2009, 12:24 AM
It's a scam

CEE DOG
10-10-2009, 07:13 AM
It's a scam
:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::i agree::iagree:

ScottB
10-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Justin, since I was a service manager at a dealership for years all it is, is a sealant. The dealership does nothing different, it is not a stage product. They was the car, dry and apply the sealant and charge you an enormous amount of money for something you can buy cheaper and better here at AG. The only thing that is different is the warranty you get with it at the dealership which is so full of loop holes it isn't even funny. I had so many people try to get things warrantied through the paint protection plan and every one was denied.

:iagree:

They often use the clearcoat warranty as their warranty. If you clearcoat fails under many bumper to bumper warranties it would be replaced and they know it. So use your own sealant or wax and save the $$>

Justin
10-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the value information. I will work on using the sealant rather than going for the PPS. I believe we still have to take care of our own car after goes for the expensive PPS. :dblthumb2:

RaskyR1
10-13-2009, 11:41 AM
I also used to apply these "Paint Protection Plans" for several of the local dealerships. With the packages we sold I believe the customer had to come back every 6 or 12 months (can't remember) for a re-application. If they never came back the warranty was void.

As posted above, it's a SCAM! :props: