PDA

View Full Version : Express Details - Sray waxes

Da Fats
10-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Are any of the spray waxes usable during the drying phase of a wash? I was hoping to combine ONR washes with a spray wax application after the first drying wipe and before the second pass drying wipe.

I was looking at optimum, 4 star, and duragloss in any of these applications for a super fast wash and wax as part of a wash wax and vac package.

thanks for any input in advance

Chris

CTS-Veo
10-09-2009, 07:43 AM
I don't know about the ones you mentioned; as far as being able to apply them on a wet car. I do know that Griots Spray Wax is recomended to be sprayed on a wet car before drying. I don't see why other spray waxes couldn't be.

loco
10-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Prima Hydro is supposed to work exactly that way. You spray it on your car after washing but before drying. Then dry the car. I've never used it but have read a lot of good feedback on it. You might check into that.

ScottB
10-09-2009, 08:07 AM
I use a detail spray , spray wax, or spray sealant while drying for extra lubrication. I have used Four Star, Souveran, FK425, FK146, Aquawax, Griots Spray Wax and many others on a lightly damp finish without issue.

I did get some major streaking with Poorboys Qder+ and needed to rebuff.

Emile
10-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Optimum Car Wax is the best way to go. It's extremely durable, it looks great, and it's economical by the gallon. If doing a traditional car wash, you can spray Optimum Car Wax onto the vehicle during the drying process (as it says on the label) and kill two birds with one stone.

But for an ONR wash, I always complete the wash first and then go back and do Opt Car Wax on the dry vehicle. You can spray wax each panel once it is totally dry but I'm not sure if it's okay if it's still wet. On one hand, a wet ONR panel is just softened water and you would just be adding the Car Wax to that mix while drying the vehicle. On the other hand, ONR is a rinseless car wash soap and the ONR-wetted panel may simply clean up all the wax you just sprayed on during the drying process. Your best bet is to e-mail Optimum regarding this issue.

Mike Phillips
10-09-2009, 12:58 PM
The only time a spray wax can be a problem is if there's a lot of standing water on the car, sometimes spraying on a spray wax will cause the water to run off and take the wax with it and flow into cracks, crevices and onto things like plastic trim. It's like the wax causes the water to loose it's grip on the paint and thus run off...

Maybe test a little first...

:)

Da Fats
10-09-2009, 01:05 PM
:props: Thanks for the feed back guys! The panel would be minimally damp as I would make the big drying pass first then when water barely sat on the panel I would mist with a spray wax and make the final pass. Thus allowing me to wash dry and wax each panel at a time and only make one trip around the paint surface during an express detail. I usually do not have enough water to cause run off after the first drying pass with an ONR wash as I still use WW to dry.

Do all these spray waxes require time to bond or set up/haze over before buffing off or are some true WOWO products.

Chris

ScottB
10-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Do all these spray waxes require time to bond or set up/haze over before buffing off or are some true WOWO products.

Chris

I find most are fairly quick with a spritz, wipe, flip towel, and rewipe. Done !

Da Fats
10-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Perfect! I think I will start with the optimum pray wax as it does not advertise as a "booster" but as a full wax. I think this little niche is an untapped resource around this area. We have little to no detailers to begin with and none that I know of that can operate away from a water source. I have refined my ONR washing technique to include wheel wells and wheels, so I can wash an entire car top to bottom with one bucket that I mix up before leaving the house. Now I just need to get 3 or 4 buckets with sealing lids and I can do a few cars without a tank getting mounted in my truck and be eco friendly

:dblthumb2: