PDA

View Full Version : Foam Gun...huh?

Pages : [1] 2

paradog
09-25-2006, 10:40 PM
SOmeone please tell me what are the advantages to using a foam gun. Yes it does a great job of soaping up the car but it doesnt do anything more than that right?

Bottom line...is it really worth $60 or is it just another toy to add to the detailing box?

GearHead_1
09-26-2006, 05:07 AM
You are correct, it does nothing more that soaping up a car. It's benefit is that it does this better than just about any other product or procedure on the market. It sprays out this thick blanket of shampoo that just sits on the flat surfaces and slowly glides down the vertical surfaces softening up road grime and really preparing it to come off of the surface. It's a great tool.

Reddwarf
09-26-2006, 08:29 AM
As I understand it, the concept is like Gearhead said. The soap helps to loosen the dirt and grime. I can't attest to that, but I can say that the foam gun makes washing the car easier and faster. The tool is expensive so you have to weigh that with the benefit. It was hard to justify for me, but I bought the Pinnacle label one on a 15% off sale. I'm darn glad I did too. For me, it makes the job easier and faster that using two buckets.

FloridaNative
09-26-2006, 09:17 AM
I agree with the above comments and would just add that the tool is expensive, but very well made and you can spray more than just soap on the vehicle. The canister can hold a myriad of liquids (body solvent, APC etc)which makes it versatile. Can you live without it? Yes you can continue to work by hand, but it will make cleaning easier and faster (not to mention more fun) and I guess you have to make the decision of what your time is worth to you. Just my 2 cents. :)

Surfer
09-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Put beer in Foam Gun, makes good party toy:D

Rapidity
09-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Nobody likes watered down beer...

supercharged
09-26-2006, 02:07 PM
For gun is a must for every enthusiast!

FloridaNative
09-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Put beer in Foam Gun, makes good party toy:D

No Papi!! No beer! Rum and coke. :D

SVTContour
09-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Nobody likes watered down beer...

Bud light is the #1 selling beer in the U.S. :confused: :(

Bell's Oberon = :cheers:

cummins03
09-26-2006, 06:43 PM
I don't ever wan't to hear of this wasting beer again!:mad:

jmillican
09-26-2006, 07:23 PM
As I understand it, the concept is like Gearhead said. The soap helps to loosen the dirt and grime. I can't attest to that, but I can say that the foam gun makes washing the car easier and faster. The tool is expensive so you have to weigh that with the benefit. It was hard to justify for me, but I bought the Pinnacle label one on a 15% off sale. I'm darn glad I did too. For me, it makes the job easier and faster that using two buckets.

Last weekend I applied Zaino Brothers Z2 & Z6 and, now they say to use their propietary soap, Z7. I find that Z7 to be rather expensive, so I would not want to use a foam gun if it consumes a lot of soap. How much soap is used when using a foam gun? Does anyone have an opinion as to whether using some other soap has any detrimental effect on the Z2 Pro?

FloridaNative
09-27-2006, 07:10 AM
Last weekend I applied Zaino Brothers Z2 & Z6 and, now they say to use their propietary soap, Z7. I find that Z7 to be rather expensive, so I would not want to use a foam gun if it consumes a lot of soap. How much soap is used when using a foam gun? Does anyone have an opinion as to whether using some other soap has any detrimental effect on the Z2 Pro?

I can't answer the Zaino soap question, but I can tell you that you would use 2 ounces of soap in the canister and then fill the rest of the canister with 6-8 ounces of water. The foam gun has several settings and the setting determines how much soap mixture comes out. Check out this link. It explains it in further detail. :)

http://autogeek.net/auqufofogun.html (http://autogeek.net/auqufofogun.html)

Oceanedge
09-27-2006, 07:57 AM
I'm considering a foam gun...but have once concern...wouldn't spraying soap all over the car lend itself to more water spots sitting in?....I'm just obsesses with constanly rinsing the car as I wash....is there a bypass on the foam gun that allows you to rinse, or do you have to take the foam gun off of the hose to get rinse water?

FloridaNative
09-27-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm considering a foam gun...but have once concern...wouldn't spraying soap all over the car lend itself to more water spots sitting in?....I'm just obsesses with constanly rinsing the car as I wash....is there a bypass on the foam gun that allows you to rinse, or do you have to take the foam gun off of the hose to get rinse water?

I live in South Florida where the sun is very strong and the heat is high. It always seems that by the time I've finished cleaning the interior of my car that I always wind up washing in the sun. I use the foam master everytime I haven't had problems with water spots. The DP foam gun soaps really clings to the paint! I do a pre-soak first with the soap and then unscrew the connector and rinse with plain water. Then I coat the car a second time and soap and then wash with the wash mitt while spraying the car at the same time. If I feel like the car is drying to fast, I just squirt some more foam. It clings well and when I rinse the car it's all clean with no spots. I am not positive but I believe that the newer foam guns have a quick release feature. Mine doesn't have that so I just unscrew it which takes me about 8 seconds so it's not a big deal for me. :) I hope this helps you.

scottinflorida
09-29-2006, 10:21 PM
I live in South Florida where the sun is very strong and the heat is high. It always seems that by the time I've finished cleaning the interior of my car that I always wind up washing in the sun. I use the foam master everytime I haven't had problems with water spots. The DP foam gun soaps really clings to the paint! I do a pre-soak first with the soap and then unscrew the connector and rinse with plain water. Then I coat the car a second time and soap and then wash with the wash mitt while spraying the car at the same time. If I feel like the car is drying to fast, I just squirt some more foam. It clings well and when I rinse the car it's all clean with no spots. I am not positive but I believe that the newer foam guns have a quick release feature. Mine doesn't have that so I just unscrew it which takes me about 8 seconds so it's not a big deal for me. :) I hope this helps you.

I must have the new version because I have the quick release attachment on my Autogeek foamgun. To remove the foam gun I just pull back on the quick release and now I have a nozzle that squirts as much water as I need.

I too live in south Florida and I have a really, really small car, (Mini Cooper S), and even with that tiny car I still wash a section at a time, hood, right side left side, boot...and I wash my car in the shade too.

Even when I lived in Maine, (42 years) and it was March I would wash a panel at a time or else the soap would create a spot.

Since moving down here I've learned to speed wash.

...but I seal and wax with a couple of cigars and more than one scotch and water.

Cheers!