PDA

View Full Version : Pre wax cleanser?

anson89
10-05-2009, 01:29 AM
Is this a necessary stage? What does it do?

Thanks

ScottB
10-05-2009, 08:23 AM
My personal suggestion:

Wash --- Clay -- Polish (or paint cleanse) --- protect

I feel paint cleansers in general are rewarding, especially for those not polishing paint by hand or machine. It removes old waxes and sealants and preps the surface for new protection.

TheGLL
10-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Good question, I'm also curious to know more about cleanser.
Before winter, I want apply a sealant and a wax on my car.
No polish for now, what kind of cleanser should I use?

A4 1.8tqm
10-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Pre wax cleanser is good for use after polishing to remove any left over residue that may affect your LSP's bonding, or for achieving a fresh start to apply sealant/wax. The cleanser preps the paint to ensure proper adhesion.

I've really liked Klasse AIO as a cleanser, it also leaves some protection but it can be a pain to use at first. Followed by Klasse Sealant Glaze (especially a couple coats) and your fav nuba wax, you'll be well protected. Others can suggest some more good cleansers, Klasse is all I've really used repeatedly. :xyxthumbs:

Dibbuz
10-05-2009, 10:05 AM
I always use a pre wax cleanser to remove old wax and clean the paint.
Although some products can be picky on certain paints. For example I tried the Wolfgang Pre Wax on a Honda but the paint didn't agreed ;)
Very hard to buff out so I tried PB's Black Hole and no problems at all. But on my Seat the WG Pre Wax worked perfectly.

AeroCleanse
10-05-2009, 10:25 AM

I recently got some Dodo Juice Lime Prime, its great stuff. There is also a Lite version, which I haven't tried. The difference is the Lite version doesn't have the micro abrasives.

MoBenzOwner
10-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer has worked great for me. It removes old wax and impurities and has some "micro-fine fillers" to lessen the look of slight swirls. It leaves a good base for sealants. Klasse AIO is also good as is Duragloss 501.

TheGLL
10-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the info.
It is really bad if I apply a sealant + wax on top of my old wax ?
I think I won't have the time to order a new product and receive it before the week-end. The temperature here is getting colder each days, I have planned to do my car this week.

A4 1.8tqm
10-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the info.
It is really bad if I apply a sealant + wax on top of my old wax ?
I think I won't have the time to order a new product and receive it before the week-end. The temperature here is getting colder each days, I have planned to do my car this week.

Applying anything over old wax will adversely affect how well the new layer bonds to the paint because it doesn't bond to the paint, it bonds to the old wax.

If nothing else get a clay bar kit and clay your car before you seal/wax for the winter. You can get clay locally and it should take care of whatever you have on there now. :cheers:

:Picture:

TheGLL
10-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Applying anything over old wax will adversely affect how well the new layer bonds to the paint because it doesn't bond to the paint, it bonds to the old wax.

If nothing else get a clay bar kit and clay your car before you seal/wax for the winter. You can get clay locally and it should take care of whatever you have on there now. :cheers:

:Picture:
Thanks a lot for your reply.
I spent enough $$ for this year on detailing stuff, I'll add cleanser on my list for next year! :D

YankeeFan
10-05-2009, 07:15 PM
The question I have is which product do you use at specific times? What do you use to remove old wax and sealant? Do you or can you use the same product to remove polishing residue when inspecting the paint - i.e Hi-Temp Prep Wash, DuPont's PrepSol, Acrysol Silicone Remover, etc.? Lastly, all those available expensive products can they all be replaced with IA? Not sure if the other products have advantages over IA?

Thanks,
Howard

ASPHALT ROCKET
10-05-2009, 07:23 PM
The question I have is which product do you use at specific times? What do you use to remove old wax and sealant? Do you or can you use the same product to remove polishing residue when inspecting the paint - i.e Hi-Temp Prep Wash, DuPont's PrepSol, Acrysol Silicone Remover, etc.? Lastly, all those available expensive products can they all be replaced with IA? Not sure if the other products have advantages over IA?

Thanks,
Howard

You can use a paint cleaner to remove old wax or sealant. Sometimes it will not remove some sealants. I always IPA a car down before I start polishing just to make sure I have the cleanest paint possible to start with. Now I had a Vette I did in show and shine that I had to wash four times with a very strong solvent to remove the numerous layers of Zaino. The safest way to check if you removed any type of protection is to spray some water on the surface, if it doesn't bead after your wipe down then you are good to go.