PDA

View Full Version : How do you Properly Apply Wax/Sealant?

SportEL
10-05-2009, 12:42 AM
I was reading up and watching videos on applying wax/sealants, but I was wondering the correct way to apply so that it won't induce swirls. I have read that applying a light coat, and working on a small section (2x2 feet area) is key. However, should you apply it in a back and forth motion in the direction of air flow, or should you apply it in a circular motion? I believe I watched a video in which Mike Phillips was applying products in a circular motion, but won't that have the possibility of inducing swirls?

Also, how many back and forth or circular motions should you make over the same area you work on?

Thanks.

Mike Phillips
10-05-2009, 06:50 AM
If the products you're using are not abrasive, that is if they are not instilling scratches into the paint then theoretically it shouldn't matter which direction you move your hand.

Practically speaking, if the products or process you're using is instilling scratches/swirls, instead of rubbing in straight lines to keep all the scratches in straight lines stop what you're doing an re-evaluate your process, consider changing products or application material until you dial in a system that isn't scratching the paint. :D

Remember, besides product choice, (type of wax), you also have application material, that is the thing you're using to apply the wax. This needs to be non-abrasive and gentle to the finish also as well as working clean, that is the car must be surgically clean before you apply the wax.

It's easier to spread any product out by hand using overlapping circular motions and an easy thing to prove to yourself. Rubbing a car out in straight lines takes more skill and focus on the task at hand. Usually you would apply product in the direction the wind would flow over the car if you were driving the car or in the direction of the length of the panel if working on thin panels.

Personal preference will always be a factor.

For applying a finishing wax or paint sealant I'll tend to use overlapping circular motions. For working out defects I'll use a combination of both circular motions and straight-line motions.

For applying a cleaner/wax to a neglected finish by hand I would use overlapping circular motions.

Hope that helps...

:)

Emile
10-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Straight lines. Left to right or top to bottom, it doesn't matter...as long as it's straight lines. I buff off the product in straight lines as well.

A4 1.8tqm
10-05-2009, 07:59 AM
As I recently discovered, By machine! :idea: :pc7424:

ScottB
10-05-2009, 08:20 AM
best advice .... thin even application. More product does not equate to better durability or longer protection. Often just wasted product and harder to remove too.

SportEL
10-05-2009, 05:09 PM
If the products you're using are not abrasive, that is if they are not instilling scratches into the paint then theoretically it shouldn't matter which direction you move your hand.

Practically speaking, if the products or process you're using is instilling scratches/swirls, instead of rubbing in straight lines to keep all the scratches in straight lines stop what you're doing an re-evaluate your process, consider changing products or application material until you dial in a system that isn't scratching the paint. :D

Remember, besides product choice, (type of wax), you also have application material, that is the thing you're using to apply the wax. This needs to be non-abrasive and gentle to the finish also as well as working clean, that is the car must be surgically clean before you apply the wax.

It's easier to spread any product out by hand using overlapping circular motions and an easy thing to prove to yourself. Rubbing a car out in straight lines takes more skill and focus on the task at hand. Usually you would apply product in the direction the wind would flow over the car if you were driving the car or in the direction of the length of the panel if working on thin panels.

Personal preference will always be a factor.

For applying a finishing wax or paint sealant I'll tend to use overlapping circular motions. For working out defects I'll use a combination of both circular motions and straight-line motions.

For applying a cleaner/wax to a neglected finish by hand I would use overlapping circular motions.

Hope that helps...

Thanks. I know the directions for my P21S Concours Wax says to apply in the direction of airflow, so I have been applying it in a side to side horizontal motion, so I was just wondering if there was a advantage or disadvantage to circular or side-to side application. Now I know it's really just personal preference, as long as you're working on a clean surface, and the product doesn't have abrasives that induces scratches, then any method will be fine.

What about applying a prewax cleanser like Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion that I read has some diminishing abrasives. I guess there is no better way to apply it, right?

Also, do you prefer to apply by machine or hand, and do you use a microfiber applicator pad or a soft foam pad?

Straight lines. Left to right or top to bottom, it doesn't matter...as long as it's straight lines. I buff off the product in straight lines as well.

Any reasoning?

As I recently discovered, By machine! :idea: :pc7424:

Is this for speed and thinner application? I always thought it would be best to apply wax/sealant by hand, and that you'd use less product this way.

A4 1.8tqm
10-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Is this for speed and thinner application? I always thought it would be best to apply wax/sealant by hand, and that you'd use less product this way.

Exactly. I've been practicing applying wax with my Flex 3401, DP Max Wax on LC blue flat pads to get a good feel for the process and how much wax gets used. I think I will still apply Souveran/Fusion by hand with AG poly foam or LC Red CCS hand applicators. By machine you can cover a lot of paint with a thin and even coat of wax in a short time, but every time I clean the wax from the pad I feel that there is a lot of waste. Still "dialing in" the process. Inexpensive wax>fast by machine, Expensive wax>sparingly by hand.
My $0.02 :xyxthumbs: