PDA

View Full Version : QD'ing before using a Sealant?

ZmZoom6
09-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Can someone tell me if it is okay to use a Quick Detailer to reomve water spots before I apply a sealant (specifically ExP)...I just washed the car.

aceshigh73
09-25-2006, 06:29 PM
I think its ok..... I've done this very thing with CK QS and EX-P

ScottB
09-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Sounds like a relatively safe bet to me .... I use a qd'er on my damp car after each wash before drying. Sometimes I wax or seal afterwards, just remember to consider product and LSP. (ie .. CM has canauba)

Kelso
09-25-2006, 08:53 PM
i go over the whole car with water/alcohol mix as a QD to strip the wax before i seal

Surfer
09-25-2006, 10:25 PM
You'll be fine, I'll do a layer of EX-P then qd'er after a day to clean any dust or anything on it before pputting the other layer on. EX-P is an excellent sealent in looks and durability, plus its flexible -> will even go over a glaze. Try that with damn near any other sealent and be prepared for one big smear fest lol.

easyrider13
09-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Some QDs might leave deposits that would interfere with bonding by some polymer LSPs such as Rejex or Zaino. I'd prefer an alcohol wipe-down.

JeffW
09-26-2006, 01:03 PM
I typically use S&W after each wash and prior to using a sealant or a spray sealant. Do this for 2 reasons: (1) to assure that there is not remaining dirt or soap scum, and (2) to brighten and slicken the surface. IMO, this enhances the glossiness and depth of the sealant you subsequently apply. I've tried using other QDs or spray sealants inplace of the S&W but have not been as happy with the results.