PDA

View Full Version : 3" sanding disks

Pages : [1] 2

ICEMAN
10-02-2009, 09:07 PM
i purchased the 3M headlight restoration kit at the local store and it is IMPOSSIBLE to find 3" sanding disks like the ones that come with the kit. i am not going to buy another kit for 15 bucks and only get a few pieces and another 3" buffing pad and attachment. you guys should carry these!!!1

here is a link to the only place i could find that carries the 500, 800, and 3000 foam, sanding disks.

you guys should carry these, i am getting ready to order a pack of all 3!!!!!! prolly go 500 - 1000 - 3000

3" (Solid) (http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/3solid.html)

I LOVE my 3M headlight Resto Kit Polishing Pad ALL the time on motorcycle plastics, smaller areas on cars, i use my Menzerna SIP and Super Finish with the pad, but usually just the Super Finish. Works on friends and family cars when they have long scuffs or lighter-medium scratches in there clear coat. Its an easy way to make money. i keep it in my car with my drill all day every day. charge people like 10 bucks to do small things, adds up quick. i use that money for gas!! lol

ICEMAN
10-13-2009, 06:47 AM
i just got in the 800 grit 50pk and the 3000 grit 20pk. we'll see if they last as long as the 3M.

SoCalEuro
10-15-2009, 02:48 AM
I have been looking at these for a while now. I've never pulled the trigger on an order though. Have you gotten a chance to try them out?

Da Fats
10-15-2009, 05:20 AM
Guessing this signifcantly reduces headlight resotaration jobs?

ICEMAN
10-15-2009, 09:22 AM
I have been looking at these for a while now. I've never pulled the trigger on an order though. Have you gotten a chance to try them out?

not yet... hopefully this weekend!!! but for 30 bucks shipped for the 800 and 3000, even if they arent as good, i will still get a lot more done compared to the 15-20 bucks youll spend on the 3M kit. (but you need to buy the 3M kit first to get the drill attachments and 3" buff pad, which is VERY nice) The 3M kit comes with a few 500, few 800, and one 3000 grit. the 3M 3000 grit lasted me thru 3 seta of headlights, the 3M 500 grit usually last one pair per disk, sme with 3M 800 grit.

Guessing this signifcantly reduces headlight resotaration jobs?

sanding is mainly needed for the BAD headlights. for the not so bad, i use my Meguiers kit. Has a yellow buffer drill attachment.

The 500-800-3000 grit, then Plastix with 3" orange pad (comes in 3M headlight kit) is a nice process for the very bad headlights. i use the 800 then 3000 on taillights sometimes, they usually never need the 500. Makes such a huge difference.

DLB
10-15-2009, 03:38 PM
not yet... hopefully this weekend!!! but for 30 bucks shipped for the 800 and 3000, even if they arent as good, i will still get a lot more done compared to the 15-20 bucks youll spend on the 3M kit. (but you need to buy the 3M kit first to get the drill attachments and 3" buff pad, which is VERY nice) The 3M kit comes with a few 500, few 800, and one 3000 grit. the 3M 3000 grit lasted me thru 3 seta of headlights, the 3M 500 grit usually last one pair per disk, sme with 3M 800 grit.

sanding is mainly needed for the BAD headlights. for the not so bad, i use my Meguiers kit. Has a yellow buffer drill attachment.

The 500-800-3000 grit, then Plastix with 3" orange pad (comes in 3M headlight kit) is a nice process for the very bad headlights. i use the 800 then 3000 on taillights sometimes, they usually never need the 500. Makes such a huge difference.
Great review ICEMAN...
I just purchased one of these kits and was wondering how everyone used them once the headlight resto was done that they bought it for.

DLB

ICEMAN
10-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Great review ICEMAN...
I just purchased one of these kits and was wondering how everyone used them once the headlight resto was done that they bought it for.

DLB

thanks. i use the 3" orange pad with my Menzerna polishes on small spots and touch ups on cars!!! i can do everything wet sand to polish in a parking lot, with a drill, water, and some polish!! easy way to make a few extra bucks!!! i bought another 3M kit, just to have another orange pad and the other drill attachment.

Da Fats
10-17-2009, 03:59 AM

As in bad your talking about the textured issue that does not respond to org or yellow pads with abbrasive polishes? I got a couple cars with those to worry about but I also jsut learned I need a rotary to really take care of the wetsanding marks also

ICEMAN
10-19-2009, 06:21 AM
As in bad your talking about the textured issue that does not respond to org or yellow pads with abbrasive polishes? I got a couple cars with those to worry about but I also jsut learned I need a rotary to really take care of the wetsanding marks also

right. Polishes usually dont help the BAD headlights at all. By bad, i mean ones that are so oxidized you can see inside them at all.

ICEMAN
11-24-2009, 08:22 AM
update...

i have used the 3000 grit pads a lot lately and they are very nice. One piece has lasted thru half my truck and still kickin, i am using it after i peel off the vinyl pin stripe.

Mister B
11-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Meguiars introduced a new Professional Headlight and Spot Repair kit for 2010 (Big Bucks!) that includes 3" Unigrit sanding discs and supposedly all of the materials that are included in the kit will be available for sale separately (excluding the air powered mini tools). So maybe Autogeek will start stocking the Meguiars 3" Unigrit sanding discs in the future?

frosty
11-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Why not just get a 2 3'4 backing plate for a DA or rotary and use the 4" foam pads? Then you have some small pads to use in other tight areas. I picked up the idea from this How to Video:

Wetsanding and Polishing - Headlight Restoration (http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/headlight_demo.html)

ICEMAN
11-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Meguiars introduced a new Professional Headlight and Spot Repair kit for 2010 (Big Bucks!) that includes 3" Unigrit sanding discs and supposedly all of the materials that are included in the kit will be available for sale separately (excluding the air powered mini tools). So maybe Autogeek will start stocking the Meguiars 3" Unigrit sanding discs in the future?

it prolly wont be any cheaper than the 3M kit. and it wont come with 20-30 pieces of sandpaper. itll have 5-10 pieces like the 3M kit. I do ALOT of headlights, its a cheap and easy profit, so ALWAYS buying 3M or Meg's kits is insanely expensive.

Why not just get a 2 3'4 backing plate for a DA or rotary and use the 4" foam pads? Then you have some small pads to use in other tight areas. I picked up the idea from this How to Video:

Wetsanding and Polishing - Headlight Restoration (http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/headlight_demo.html)

Pads on a DA or Rotary would not have done the job on the mustang i posted pics of. It took a while for the 500 grit to get everything off, they were bad. i get a lot of VERY bad headlights. with a good thick layer of crap on them to where you can see a damn thing inside the headlight housings.

DLB
11-24-2009, 09:34 AM
I think Mister B is referring to this.
Meguiar's New 2010 Pro Products (http://www.meguiars.com/whatsnew/2010Preview.cfm?page=2010_professional_products)
Toward the bottom.
It shows them coming in packs of 15 in all the grits you would need for the 3M kit.

DLB

Mister B
11-24-2009, 10:06 AM
I think Mister B is referring to this.
Meguiar's New 2010 Pro Products (http://www.meguiars.com/whatsnew/2010Preview.cfm?page=2010_professional_products)
Toward the bottom.
It shows them coming in packs of 15 in all the grits you would need for the 3M kit.

DLB

That is correct.

I was not referring to purchasing the Megs kit. That new kit is nearly $600. :eek:

I was referring to being able to purchase the individual packages of the 3" unigrit sanding discs seperate from the kit. You won't need to buy the kit every time you need the sanding discs.