PDA

View Full Version : new to detailing please help!

shevie
09-25-2006, 05:17 PM
i'm new to the detailing thing. i've been doing a few cars on the side to earn some extra cash and want to do the best job possible. i got a few questions.

the cars i've been doing a in fairly good shape with your usual swirl marks. most people just want a wash and wax. my questions are:
1. will the wax job alone be good enought to put a decent shine on it and get some of the swirl marks out?

2. is it a good idea to use the pc 7424 to just do a wax job or will it create more swirl marks?

3. will the pc 7424 take the pin stripe and stickers off vehicles?

4. i haven't gotten the pc 7424 yet but working on it. how hard it to use and what tips can you give me. mostly on how not burn the paint and is it easy to do that because i don't want to screw anyones car up! i plan on practicing on someone's older vehicle who would be thankful just to have it washed!

5. does the polishing strip the clear coat since it has abrasives?

i know this is alot to answer but any input would be greatly appreciated!

BILL
09-25-2006, 05:56 PM
i'm new to the detailing thing. i've been doing a few cars on the side to earn some extra cash and want to do the best job possible. i got a few questions.

the cars i've been doing a in fairly good shape with your usual swirl marks. most people just want a wash and wax. my questions are:
1. will the wax job alone be good enought to put a decent shine on it and get some of the swirl marks out?

NO.....YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE SWIRLS VIA MACHINE AND SWIRL REMOVING PRODUCTS SOLD HERE AT AUTO GEEK TO GET THE MOST OUT OF A WAX JOB......

2. is it a good idea to use the pc 7424 to just do a wax job or will it create more swirl marks?

YOU COULD BUT PERSONAL PREFERENCE FOR ME IS TO APPLY AND REMOVE BY HAND...

NOT NESSARILY......JUST BE AWARE OF THE STRIPE AND STICKERS AS YOU WORK

4. i haven't gotten the pc 7424 yet but working on it. how hard it to use and what tips can you give me. mostly on how not burn the paint and is it easy to do that because i don't want to screw anyones car up! i plan on practicing on someone's older vehicle who would be thankful just to have it washed!

CHECK THIS OUT FROM AUTO GEEK

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

NO......IT WOULD TAKE A LOT OF ABRASIVE TO STRIP AWAY CLEAR COAT TO ANY EXTENT

i know this is alot to answer but any input would be greatly appreciated!

WELCOME......;)

ScottB
09-25-2006, 06:14 PM

Most of the masses simply do this, and it is acceptable. No way would you consider it beneficial or show shaddering. If going this route use a good AIO type product with some fillers to hide swirls.

No harm in using a PC to wax, usually just a little wasted product.

It can ... and I have done so. Consider staying away from pinstripes which vary from paint to tape. The tape is usually the first to go. I find a little blue painters tape works wonders in masking areas to miss.

DONT THROW IT AT THE CAR !! Seriously this is about the only way to truly harm a paint job. The PC is very safe and transfers very little heat. The biggest complaint with PC's are usually do to the inexperienced falling to use speed and allowing the polish to truly break down and flash into a powder type consistency.

Any abrasive, even drying, has the ability to remove small amounts of clearcoat. A PC is not designed to cut deep into the CC and works by burnishing the edges of scratches making them less noticable. It would take alot of polishings to truly remove all clearcoat, but remember that less is always best when considering anything abrasive like polishes and pads.

shevie
09-25-2006, 07:51 PM
thanks for the help!