PDA

View Full Version : Claying?

P1et
09-25-2006, 03:24 PM
So I have something I was thinking of. I had some overspray on my truck that was pretty hard to get off with clay. But after a good pass of SSR2.5, it was all gone.

My question: is it really necessary to clay when you're going to give the paint a pass with an orange pad w/ SSR2.5?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Kelso
09-25-2006, 03:40 PM
couldnt hurt to remove the contaminents and work with a truly clean surface

supercharged
09-25-2006, 03:46 PM
So I have something I was thinking of. I had some overspray on my truck that was pretty hard to get off with clay. But after a good pass of SSR2.5, it was all gone.

My question: is it really necessary to clay when you're going to give the paint a pass with an orange pad w/ SSR2.5?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I would say YES, because claying is a less aggresive, then SSR 2.5. Keep in mind that oversray is the only thing polishes can remove without removing clearcote. Raildust, brake dust can only be safely removed by clay.

P1et
09-25-2006, 04:07 PM
So you're saying that clay is less aggressive than SSR2.5, but yet it will remove more from the paint?

sparkie
09-25-2006, 04:17 PM
So you're saying that clay is less aggressive than SSR2.5, but yet it will remove more from the paint?

Yes, that is correct! If you had eyes like superman, and look deep in the paint it would look like mountains and valleys, the clay pulls the rail dust or what ever out of the valleys. The SSR2.5 just chops off the tops of the mountain.

supercharged
09-25-2006, 04:20 PM

Claying will remove bonded contaminents, where polishing will remove/minimize sctratche and swirls. Both steps are needed to achieve perfect finish.

BILL
09-25-2006, 06:03 PM
couldnt hurt to remove the contaminants and work with a truly clean surface

;) I agree.....polishing and not de-contaminating is polishing decontainments.....

ScottB
09-25-2006, 06:04 PM
clay is abrasive like a polish, but also has the ability to pull up and away. Thats why many consider it vital in detailing.

P1et
09-25-2006, 06:54 PM
That's all I need to know, thanks guys!

joe.p
09-25-2006, 08:20 PM
I would have clayed to remove the debris 1st. if you dont clay first you risk the chance of rubbing the abrassives on the paint deeper into the panels creating some serious marring/scratching .02. This is one reason i clay before i polish, others could have there own process with good results..

Kelso
09-25-2006, 08:52 PM
whoa whoa...clay is abrasive? i really thought it wasnt abrasive at all...

joe.p
09-25-2006, 10:03 PM
whoa whoa...clay is abrasive? i really thought it wasnt abrasive at all...
Depends on the clay used. The pinnacle blue clay can be used to clean up the paint without removing your LSP,

Kelso
09-25-2006, 10:08 PM
i dont use the polyclay. i have no need for weak stuff like that cause i dont get to clay often. im dying to do it though, just no time. but if you use a more aggressive bar that removes everything, is it actually abrasive to your paint? because i really didnt think it was. the clay i have is a "superior products" purple bar. very good bar, i want more. my boss gave it to me cause we get it in there and i wanna get more but i dont wanna cause suspicion of why i need a bunch of clay bars;)

joe.p
09-25-2006, 11:48 PM
i just received my soft99 from ebay when i use it i;ll up dat..