PDA

View Full Version : scratches on the windshield

BlkTAWS6
10-01-2009, 09:36 PM
I found a couple of threads about this topic, but I wanted to ask in here just to make sure I would buy the correct kit.

I have a customer with a prius who today I removed water spots and a ton of sap off of her car. I noticed she had a lot of fine lines all over her windshield and thought that they were just from someone not cleaning the inside good enough. Come to find out, they were actually scratches that someone put in the glass.

When I asked her who else has washed her car she told me no one, just her. When I showed her the window the gasped a little and asked if a dish sponge would have done that. She uses dish soap and the green scrubbing side of the sponge to clean her windshield when it gets bad with bugs and such. So, I told her, it probably did.

Now my thing is, I can't get these scratches out, so far. Would the LC Glass Polishing system or the Diamondite Glass Repair system work for something like this?

I wish I would have taken a picture, but didn't have my thinkin cap on at the time. You can't feel the scratches one bit, and like I said, they just look like smears or something on the inside of the glass.

Thanks,

sparkie
10-02-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't know of anything that would take scratches out of glass...

ScottB
10-02-2009, 09:19 PM
reduce them yes .... remove, not always. Some here have even used Megs 105 on glass and claim nice results. I try to stay to something less abrasive on glass and then coat with Aquapel.

Jimmie
10-03-2009, 12:45 AM
A glass guy told me that they use the same, if you can catch a fingernail on it then it can't be repaired. If you can't then one of the kits should work.
For the bad ones you can Google cerium polish, but the word is if you don't know what you're doing you can change the optics.

TurboToys
10-04-2009, 03:08 PM
A glass guy told me that they use the same, if you can catch a fingernail on it then it can't be repaired. If you can't then one of the kits should work.
For the bad ones you can Google cerium polish, but the word is if you don't know what you're doing you can change the optics.

i thought glass repair guys would actually fill in scratches.. not sure what they use, wish i had more info, but i have seen some glass repair kits like that for small nicks and scratches in glass.... some pros can make the stuff look like nothing is there, not sure about fine scratches though.

Mike Phillips
10-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Very fine scratches can be machine buffed out of glass using a rotary buffer.

Keep in mind, the way you remove any kind of below surface defect in paint, plastic and materials like glass is you have to abrade the surface until you level the upper most top surface with the lowest level of the deepest portions of the depth of any defects you're trying to remove.

Some materials and coatings are hard to abrade and have the end results look good and/or look original. Glass is very hard and not very polishable, so it's more difficult to remove scratches out of.

:)

Blackthorn One
10-06-2009, 09:45 PM
I've used a glass polishing kit that goes on the end of a drill, with excellent results. It DOES take a LONG time, though. 6 hours per square foot is what I recall. I polished the inside of my 57 Chevy backglass when I restored it in '96, which reminds me, I still need to do the outside of it.