PDA

View Full Version : What can I do about static?

Pages : [1] 2

Laura
09-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Feed back pleaseCan you tell me what I'm doing wrong? Buffing creates an incredible amount of static on my plastic front and rear bumpers. I use indigo mf towels with Wolfgang products; the worst is DGPS, but it happens with Fuzion, too. This causes not only the wax dust but also every air-borne particle in a 10 mile radius to stick to the car and the towel. Is this a common problem? What can I do differently?

loudog2
09-28-2009, 07:44 PM
QD after the LSP cures.

ryandamartini
09-29-2009, 12:03 AM
QD after the LSP cures.

This,

check out this thread as well:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/4155-anti-static-qder-s.html

ICEMAN
09-29-2009, 07:02 AM
yah i hate it man, i work at a motorcycle dealership Ohio, Honda, Yamaha, ATV, Motorcycle, Dealer, Schiets Motorsports (http://www.schietsmotorsports.com) and when im wiping off ATVs i get static, then i go touch people and scare the crap out of em!!!

Mikejl
09-29-2009, 08:46 AM
I have some FK 425 due in today. I'm hoping that using it as Loudog2 recommends, right after the LSP cures, will help keep some of dust and airborne particles off my black Camry a little longer than I'm getting.

Mike

Mike Phillips
09-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Water removes static. So wiping with water would remove static. Wiping with water doesn't usually make the paint look glossy and clear.

Quick detailers, or spray detailers make paint look clear and glossy. Quick detailers or spray detailers contain water. Most any quick detailer will remove static electricity because they contain water and water removes static electricity.

Lots of rubbing with a dry cloth makes static electricity for do only a final wipe with your spray detailer to remove static electricity, don't wipe and wipe and wipe and wipe, etc.

For what it's worth, you can also ground out your car, this isn't a perfect solution but it can help. I've used Jumper cables because they're a great conduit for electricity and already have a built in clamp at both ends.

Clamp one end to car and clamp the other end to something that's grounded to the ground like a metal water pipe or a steel stake in the yard, use your imagination.

:)

14automobiles
09-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Water removes static. So wiping with water would remove static. Wiping with water doesn't usually make the paint look glossy and clear.

Quick detailers, or spray detailers make paint look clear and glossy. Quick detailers or spray detailers contain water. Most any quick detailer will remove static electricity because they contain water and water removes static electricity.

Lots of rubbing with a dry cloth makes static electricity for do only a final wipe with your spray detailer to remove static electricity, don't wipe and wipe and wipe and wipe, etc.

For what it's worth, you can also ground out your car, this isn't a perfect solution but it can help. I've used Jumper cables because they're a great conduit for electricity and already have a built in clamp at both ends.

Clamp one end to car and clamp the other end to something that's grounded to the ground like a metal water pipe or a steel stake in the yard, use your imagination.

I love the grounding idea...I use QD also.

14automobiles
09-29-2009, 09:12 AM
QD after the LSP cures.

I maybe having a mental fart..it has been known to happen but what does LSP stand for?

Mikejl
09-29-2009, 09:14 AM

Mike,

Speaking of using your imagination. Here is one of the replies you made to a thread I started over a year ago on MOL on the exact same subject.

"Part of the problem is air-borne dust particles have their own static charge and you can't remove this static charge from all the dust in the air.

Been told clear coats style paints also have their own level of static charge too...

Need a Forcefield of some kind... someting you can turn on and off like a car alarm..."

Great Idea. Too bad nobody ran with the idea. :laughing:

Mike

Mike Phillips
09-29-2009, 09:14 AM
I maybe having a mental fart..it has been known to happen but what does LSP stand for?

LSP = Last Step Product

That would be the last thing you apply and then remove from the paint and afterwards you stand back and say,

"It is finished"

Some people think it means Last Step Protectant as in a finishing wax, either a Carnauba type wax or a synthetic Paint Sealant but that's not the true meaning.

Some people use a one-step wax when they detail for money for daily drivers, for them their AIO or One-Step Cleaner/Wax would be their LSP

Some people are working on fresh paint and won't apply any type of product that seals paint at all but instead may just apply something like #7 Show Car Glaze, for the the #7 would be their LSP

It's the last thing you apply and then remove from the paint and then afterwards your done. time to take the car for a spin and show it off or hand the keys back to the owner and collect your money.

Mike Phillips
09-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Mike,

Speaking of using your imagination. Here is one of the replies you made to a thread I started over a year ago on MOL on the exact same subject.

"Part of the problem is air-borne dust particles have their own static charge and you can't remove this static charge from all the dust in the air.

Been told clear coats style paints also have their own level of static charge too...

Need a Forcefield of some kind... something you can turn on and off like a car alarm..."

Great Idea. Too bad nobody ran with the idea. :laughing:

Mike

You're a pretty good Super Searching Sleuth!

14automobiles
09-29-2009, 09:32 AM
LSP = Last Step Product

That would be the last thing you apply and then remove from the paint and afterwards you stand back and say,

"It is finished"

Some people think it means Last Step Protectant as in a finishing wax, either a Carnauba type wax or a synthetic Paint Sealant but that's not the true meaning.

Some people use a one-step wax when they detail for money for daily drivers, for them their AIO or One-Step Cleaner/Wax would be their LSP

Some people are working on fresh paint and won't apply any type of product that seals paint at all but instead may just apply something like #7 Show Car Glaze, for the the #7 would be their LSP

It's the last thing you apply and then remove from the paint and then afterwards your done. time to take the car for a spin and show it off or hand the keys back to the owner and collect your money.

Great explanation. thank you. While I have your attention please answer something. What is the rule on applying paint sealant or a wax over a Glaze?

DARK HORSE
09-29-2009, 09:59 AM
I also have a black car and fight the dreaded static monster (everything shows worse on black!!) I have found in my case that when applying my LSP that if I use a real plush MF towel like the Cobra 530 it seems to generate more static then if I use my Cobra waffle weave guzzlers. I now use my WW's not only to dry my car but also to wipe off (GENTLY) my LSP. I still use my 530's for removing/buffing paint cleansers, sealants,waxes,etc.; but I now use my WW's to (GENTLY) remove my LSP. This seems to cut down on the static as well as what looks like [U]very small pieces of lint that are left behind with the 530's but not the WW's. This works so well for me that I have orderd another set of WW's just for the LSP.

Shine On!!!

DARK HORSE
09-29-2009, 10:26 AM
I am only trying to learn how to post pictures..

CTS-Veo
09-29-2009, 10:29 AM
This is an interesting thread. I never really thought about static on my cars paint, but it makes a lot of sense. 2 weekends ago I did my LC Hydro-tech pad comparison on my Jeep. I polished and waxed the hood in my pole barn. The first two days that I came out there (and while I was working) my hood would accumulate a ton of dog hair (both my dogs where helping me detail). I thought it was because of the fan, but the second day the fan wasn't on. On day 3 when I came out (and while working) I didn't really have to deal with much dog hair; even though the fan WAS on... At the time I didn't give it much thought, I just kept a clean MF to lightly wipe the hood off (when blowing on it didn't work). Thinking back now, I remember the last thing I did on day 2 was hit it with a coat of DP Final Gloss... That must have removed the static charge, and thats why it wasn't an issue on day 3. :nomore:

Thanks for the info!Im the MAN:buffing:Im the MAN:buffing: