PDA

View Full Version : Durability for nuba waxes

Pages : [1] 2

evilwrx
09-28-2009, 06:22 PM
I have used xmt360 to polish out my daily driver and wanted to top it with either DP Max Wax or Megs M16. Which of these two is the most durable? With winter coming soon, would like it with the XMT360 to last through to spring. Thanks.

loudog2
09-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Neither will last until spring.

belcherm58
09-28-2009, 07:27 PM
A nuba will not last that long. My fall treatment goes like this. I put 2 coats of a good sealant on it and top it several coats of my favorite carnauba wax. During the winter I will use spray waxes on it to boost the shine and feed the nubas will oils from a fresh coat of spray wax.

RTexasF
09-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Nuba? Figure 3-4 weeks with Collinite being the long term exception. It's essentially a killer sealant with nuba in the mix.

loudog2
09-28-2009, 07:41 PM
A nuba will not last that long. My fall treatment goes like this. I put 2 coats of a good sealant on it and top it several coats of my favorite carnauba wax. During the winter I will use spray waxes on it to boost the shine and feed the nubas will oils from a fresh coat of spray wax.
:iagree:2 coats of sealant 12 hours apart. Then 2 coats of a nuba 12 hours apart. Get a spray wax(pinnacle souveran spray wax/ pinacle crystal mist has carnuba in it also), or spray sealant(dodo red mist tropical, wolfgang spray sealant). These will make it last longer.

belcherm58
09-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Exactly louddog2. Your right on the money about how I go about it.
I use Souveran Paste and the Souveran Liquid Spray Wax to boost on
decent days in the winter.

akimel
09-28-2009, 11:34 PM
I have used xmt360 to polish out my daily driver and wanted to top it with either DP Max Wax or Megs M16. Which of these two is the most durable? With winter coming soon, would like it with the XMT360 to last through to spring. Thanks.

I notice that no one has yet answered your question about either MaxWax or M16, and I'm afraid I'm not in a position to do so either. But I can tell you from what I have gleaned from all the #16 testimonies I have read on various forums: it is reputedly more durable than all other carnauba waxes on the market, excepting the Collinites. Will it last you through the winter? It all depends on the environmental factors to which your car is exposed.

If you are looking for a protectant that will last you four to six months, then you probably should go with either Collinite 476s or 915 or a synthetic sealant. Of course, not all synthetic sealants last four to six months either, so you'll need to search through the forums and assess the anecdotal evidence. Finish Kare 1000p has certainly received a lot of praise for its durability on several different forums, as has Duragloss 105.

Given that durability is a decisive concern for you, at least for the winter months, I would suggest that you think twice before topping a sealant with a carnauba. Go with two, three, or four coats of the sealant of your choice, and do not risk compromising its performance by applying a less durable carnauba wax on top of it. No one really knows how a carnauba topper affects the underlying sealant--though when I posed this question to the folks at Duragloss, they explicitly told me that a carnauba wax would compromise the durability of their sealants--but logic suggests that one should simply go with a couple coats of the most durable protectant. Ditto for the Collinites. If you choose, e.g., Colly 915, then just apply two coats and be content, confident in the knowledge that your wax will undoubtedly last you through the winter months.

ryandamartini
09-28-2009, 11:55 PM
nuba waxes generally last a month or two if properly maintained with good washing / drying methods every or every other week. Ive seen DP MaxWax last 2 months. The lesser prices nubas (SSII and down) tend to last longer due to them being mixed with different chemicals. Whereas you have almost pure carnauba in Souveran, Supernatural, etc..

Gary Sword
09-29-2009, 06:25 AM
If you want to use durable carnauba wax that might last through winter I would use Collinite 915.

akimel
09-29-2009, 07:01 AM
nuba waxes generally last a month or two if properly maintained with good washing / drying methods every or every other week. Ive seen DP MaxWax last 2 months. The lesser prices nubas (SSII and down) tend to last longer due to them being mixed with different chemicals. Whereas you have almost pure carnauba in Souveran, Supernatural, etc..

Not wanting here to be contentious, but the above doesn't seem accurate. Questions:

1) What do you mean when you speak of "pure carnauba" waxes? Are you speaking of waxes which use carnauba exclusively as their wax content? There are some waxes, e.g., that claim 100% carnauba (e.g., P21S 100%, Harly Wax), by which, I assume, they mean that wax content of their product is exclusively carnauba; but that does not mean that it does not contain many other kinds of ingredients (oils, solvents, silicones, etc.)--and these other ingredients may be even more important for the performance of the wax than the carnauba.

2) Doesn't carnauba increase durability? My understanding is that, as a general rule, the more carnauba a wax contains the more durable it is, which is why Supernatural, e.g., is more durable than Blue Velvet or Banana Armor. Of course, durability can also be improved by using other kinds of ingredients, particularly synthetic polymers. Souveran (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pinnacle-wax/8418-story-souveran-wax.html) is said to have a high carnauba content, yet its durability is short-lived, especially when compared to other "high carnauba" waxes like Supernatural (v.2) and Swissvax Best of Show. Why it that? I presume that the durability of Souveran is diminished precisely by the other ingredients that are used that give it its special look (and the look is special).

I welcome correction, as I'd like to have my facts straight on these matters.

Cheers,
Al

evilwrx
09-29-2009, 08:37 AM
I notice that no one has yet answered your question about either MaxWax or M16, and I'm afraid I'm not in a position to do so either. But I can tell you from what I have gleaned from all the #16 testimonies I have read on various forums: it is reputedly more durable than all other carnauba waxes on the market, excepting the Collinites. Will it last you through the winter? It all depends on the environmental factors to which your car is exposed.

Reading your reply I would garner from it that the M16 is more durable than the DP MaxWax. I am also lucky in that my daily driver might see 100 miles a week as I work from home, my car is garage kept and Charlotte winters are not long nor severe.

Did you have to do anything other than proper washing / drying methods to get this durability? Would using a product like XMT 360 spray wax (http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-360-spray-wax.html) with proper washing methods lengthen the durability??

ryandamartini
09-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Not wanting here to be contentious, but the above doesn't seem accurate. Questions:

1) What do you mean when you speak of "pure carnauba" waxes? Are you speaking of waxes which use carnauba exclusively as their wax content? There are some waxes, e.g., that claim 100% carnauba (e.g., P21S 100%, Harly Wax), by which, I assume, they mean that wax content of their product is exclusively carnauba; but that does not mean that it does not contain many other kinds of ingredients (oils, solvents, silicones, etc.)--and these other ingredients may be even more important for the performance of the wax than the carnauba.

2) Doesn't carnauba increase durability? My understanding is that, as a general rule, the more carnauba a wax contains the more durable it is, which is why Supernatural, e.g., is more durable than Blue Velvet or Banana Armor. Of course, durability can also be improved by using other kinds of ingredients, particularly synthetic polymers. Souveran (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pinnacle-wax/8418-story-souveran-wax.html) is said to have a high carnauba content, yet its durability is short-lived, especially when compared to other "high carnauba" waxes like Supernatural (v.2) and Swissvax Best of Show. Why it that? I presume that the durability of Souveran is diminished precisely by the other ingredients that are used that give it its special look (and the look is special).

I welcome correction, as I'd like to have my facts straight on these matters.

Cheers,
Al

Im talking about Souveran and some of the premium waxes. In Florida weather here, I have seen MaxWax last a month over Souveran. However the look Souveran, Supernatural, etc, etc give is wonderful.

It seems some waxes with synthetic polymers and all that scientific stuff, do last longer when put to the test. Waxes with the high nuba content with less synthetics do not last as long, but they do have a special look to them.

Reading your reply I would garner from it that the M16 is more durable than the DP MaxWax. I am also lucky in that my daily driver might see 100 miles a week as I work from home, my car is garage kept and Charlotte winters are not long nor severe.

Did you have to do anything other than proper washing / drying methods to get this durability? Would using a product like XMT 360 spray wax with proper washing methods lengthen the durability??

M16 is magical. Probably the highest durability wax that has great looks thats been made. This is shown in detailers scour the web to get any and all stock that might be left on a shelf somewhere. As for washing, I use my favorite nuba infused QD or spray wax to help keep some oils back into the wax on the car. I have seen 2 months of beading with maxwax however just wish good washing and drying with soaps that do not strip LSP.

Surfer
09-29-2009, 11:36 AM
If you want to use durable carnauba wax that might last through winter I would use Collinite 915.Agree, use a combo of DG 105 topped with Collinite 915 and you have a bullet proof winter combo.

cobraa
09-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Here's what I did on my winter beater : 1 coat of Klasses High Gloss Sealant topped with 1 coat of P21S. In the next week, I will have my jar of Collonite #476 and I will give it 2 coat.

I'm sure I will be just fine for the 4 big month of winter.

ronkh57
09-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Here's what I did on my winter beater : 1 coat of Klasses High Gloss Sealant topped with 1 coat of P21S. In the next week, I will have my jar of Collonite #476 and I will give it 2 coat.

I'm sure I will be just fine for the 4 big month of winter.

The Collonite may not bond over the p21s.