PDA

View Full Version : Utility Pump Question

astrogus
09-27-2009, 11:58 PM
I have a 2500 PSI commercial Honda GX pressure washer with an AR pump that pulls 3 GPM. It was starving for water gravity feed so i bought a utility pump at the local harbor freight that pumps 4 GPM. The pumps comes with gator clamps to hook to a 12V battery and says it takes 7.5 amps to start it and 5 amps to run it. Well when i first hooked it up it ran like a champ, But after like 5 mins its barely pumping. I then ran jumping cables from my battery under my hood, Back to the clamps on the pump and hooked them up and started my van and it pumped like a sob. I took the battery in to the local autozone and they said it was fine and fully charged? Is it just that the battery isnt putting out enough juice to run the pump? What can i do to make the pump work run a wire from my battery under the hood back to my battery in the back and put a couple fuses in and run it that way...I just dont want to have to leave my van running while im using the pressure washer using the gas in the pressure washer is already money burning up lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you to anybody that replys in advance.
Feed back please

Showroom Shine
09-28-2009, 07:33 AM
I have the same pump and hook up,feeding my pressure washer. Been doing it this way for 7 plus years. I run my pump off the DC side of my generator ,also with the cables. I had a couple bad experiences with the pump messing up. ( Bad propeller inside) But otherwise this has worked fine. Keeps from starving and burning up a pressure washer! I always carry a spare pump in the truck!

astrogus
09-28-2009, 09:31 AM
I have the same pump and hook up,feeding my pressure washer. Been doing it this way for 7 plus years. I run my pump off the DC side of my generator ,also with the cables. I had a couple bad experiences with the pump messing up. ( Bad propeller inside) But otherwise this has worked fine. Keeps from starving and burning up a pressure washer! I always carry a spare pump in the truck!

What do you mean by the DC side of your generator? Does your generator have a 12V source is that what you mean? Because my generator just has 110 outlets.

jwellsii
09-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Astrogus,

Some generators have a 12v source. Since yours don't you can get a converter that converts 110 to 12v.

belcherm58
09-28-2009, 10:58 AM
You could also run a battery charger of of your generator to keep the charge up on the battery running the pump. If that pump is pulling 5 amps, it won't take long to pull the battery down. The AC battery charger should not pull on your generator very hard at all. I would suggest getting a battery charger that has a 10 or 12 amp setting and
thus keeping a positive charge situation on your battery when running the pump.

Showroom Shine
09-29-2009, 06:08 AM
Yes,my generator has a DC outlet plug. It came equiped with. One end has a plug,the other is the small jumper cables.About 2'. I connect this to the cables from the utility pump. The only down side I see,is both motors are running when I'm washing the vehicle. But they're not on long. I really like the set up,keeps me from worrying about burning up my pressure washer pump!

WindyCity
09-29-2009, 08:02 AM
so i bought a utility pump at the local harbor freight Feed back please

I think I just figured out your problem.!.! LOL

jwellsii
09-29-2009, 08:46 AM
:iagree:

Harbor Freight isn't the best choice for items you will be using all the time. The old saying is you get what you pay for.

Just my .02