PDA

View Full Version : Megs Hot Rims vs Wheel Brightener?

Emile
09-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Hi,

More specifically, Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner vs Meguiar's Wheel Brightener. I've never used Wheel Brightener but I was under the impression that Wheel Brightener was the stronger of the two.

I looked up the MSDS for both of them, and WB has a pH of only 5.5 which is not very acidic at all, and a Heath hazard rating of 2. All Wheel Cleaner is rated at a pH of 1.5-2.5 and a Health hazard rating of 3.

So is Wheel Brightener actually stronger than the All Wheel Cleaner? I'd like to have an acidic wheel cleaner on my shelf so that I can strip off durable tire dressings quickly, as well as eliminate really baked-on brake dust on inner wheel barrels quickly. I prefer the All Wheel Cleaner (which I have right now) because I don't usually use an acidic wheel cleaner and having a gallon of Wheel Brightener that is diluted at least 4:1 would just take up too much space on my shelf.

Thanks,
Emile

GMC83
09-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Wheel Brightener is stronger than Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner.

ScottB
09-27-2009, 05:08 PM
arent both acid based ??

Lasthope05
09-27-2009, 05:59 PM
If you looking for something stronger then WB otc the Megs Hot Rims Chrome Wheel cleaner is more aggressive than WB.

I dont think its always to PH level of the product but the chemical ingredients used that attack the wheels differently. If you look at the G113 Gold Class All wheel cleaner the ph level is 2-4, higher than WB, but if you look at the components its a citric acid based cleaner.

Where are you getting the MSDS for HR All wheel cleaner? I can find it on the MOL site.

Nappers
09-27-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm pretty sure that the AWC is acid based but very mild....

WB is as strong as you want it to be as it's dilutable as you probably know.

I haven't used WB and only use AWC, Chrome cleaner, Multi Piece as of now and just ordered a gallon of WB for my aresenal. I plan on mixing 10:1 (to start) to keep it mild as my wheels aren't too bad at all and I would rather apply a second scrubbing than make it to strong and do damage. I ordered two bottles with it and either mix one 10:1 and one 4:1 or just have two 10:1 and one as a back up pre-diluted..... Joe at Superior Shine mixes his 10:1 to keep it safe and use only one cleaner I think.....

As far as OTC cleaners, the Hot Rims series are good. AG sells several wheel cleaners, I just can't remember the brand that is safe for all wheels at the moment, Griots comes to mind I think, not sure.

Emile
09-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Meguiar's MSDS sheets are available at meguiars.com: Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) (http://www.meguiars.com/msds/) you just have to register and then you get to see all the MSDS forms for all the Meguiar's products.

Thanks for the posts guys, I think I will stick with my Hot Rims AWC for now.

Nappers, I believe the wheel cleaner you are thinking of is the Mothers FX Wheel Cleaner...pretty effective stuff, safe for all wheels, and a good value. I once bought two bottles from Autogeek.

GMC83
09-27-2009, 09:37 PM
I used to stick to HR AWC, but at either 4:1 or 10:1 Wheel Brightener is pretty economical, so I started buying that and I havent looked back.

CTS-Veo
09-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Meguiar's MSDS sheets are available at meguiars.com: Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) (http://www.meguiars.com/msds/) you just have to register and then you get to see all the MSDS forms for all the Meguiar's products.

Thanks for the posts guys, I think I will stick with my Hot Rims AWC for now.

Nappers, I believe the wheel cleaner you are thinking of is the Mothers FX Wheel Cleaner...pretty effective stuff, safe for all wheels, and a good value. I once bought two bottles from Autogeek.
He mentioned Griots being a wheel cleaner that's safe for all finishes; which is correct. Griots is a very versatile wheel cleaner. It will remove pretty much anything with a little bit of agitation, yet its a gentle cleaner that can be used on anything. I have had a gallon of it for over a year (I am a little ADD and switch back and forth between cleaners) and it is still one of my favorites (second favorite behind P21S)

Emile
09-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Yeah but I don't need wheel safety. I already have four other wheel cleaners of at least one gallon each sitting on my shelf that are pH neutral/safe on all wheels.

I'm looking for small quantity that is quick and effective without making me puke and/or wear gloves.

ScottB
09-28-2009, 04:23 PM
problem IMO with harsh wheel cleaners is over extended use the acids and lye used in the makeup can damage even the most durable of finishes. I prefer a safe wheel cleaner and a little agitation personally, but to each their own.

Poorboys Spray/Rinse might be an option to compete with those others mentioned earlier.