PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to clean wheels?

Pages : [1] 2

14automobiles
09-27-2009, 01:23 PM
I am looking for some answers to wheel care...

1. How do you tell what kind of metal a wheel is composed of (painted, chrome, etc)..I have read that there are different cleaning agents for different types of wheels. Can one of these work for metal trim and bumpers too?

2. What do you recommend for cleaning, polishing and sealing each type of wheel?What tool works good to help clean tires (Mothers Power Ball , etc.) ?

3. My wife's car has, what I think is chrome wheels. They have been neglected for more than 5 years. There is a lot of caked on tar and oxidation. What methods and products would you recommend to clean these up?

Feed back please
thank you

loudog2
09-27-2009, 01:56 PM
P21 wheel gel/spray(both) and a daytona speed brush is what I use.

Nappers
09-27-2009, 02:06 PM
If they are indeed Chrome, I use Meguiar's Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner and you must get the Daytona Wheel Brush, it's pretty tough and handles anything you throw at it (so far).

Make sure they are chrome though. I had a set of wheels I was doing on a truck and the owner thought they were chrome and they ended up being aluminum clear coated. The cleaner didn't hurt the wheels though, but be careful.

Finemess
09-27-2009, 02:19 PM
I have aluminum clear coated wheels and use a thick terry towel and car wash.

Nappers
09-27-2009, 02:31 PM
I have aluminum clear coated wheels and use a thick terry towel and car wash.

Good point, I use car wash and a separate mitt when the wheels don't need a wheel cleaner as most wheel cleaners strip wax and they are so much fun to wax depending on the wheel!

14automobiles
09-27-2009, 05:02 PM
thanks for input...

If your detailing a vehicle how do you know what metal the wheel is? Do you ask the customer and then use the wheel cleaner of your choice?

How many wheel options are there? I can think of chrome, painted and alluminum clear coat. Are there any more?

There is some pretty hard oxidation (or something similar) on my car's wheels. Will the Meguiar's , with the Daytona wheel brush, get this stuck on grime off?

one more thing...is the Daytona wheel brush a boar's hair brush...I thought that is all that should be used on quality wheels

ScottB
09-27-2009, 05:05 PM
P21S or Griots wheel cleaner, both are safe on all wheel types and contain no acids. A PowerBall or PowerCone from Mothers and metal polish specific to wheel type often cleans up neglected wheels. Then seal with DP or Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

14automobiles
09-27-2009, 06:54 PM
P21S or Griots wheel cleaner, both are safe on all wheel types and contain no acids. A PowerBall or PowerCone from Mothers and metal polish specific to wheel type often cleans up neglected wheels. Then seal with DP or Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

Great thanks..."specific to wheel type"...How do you know the wheel type. Is there a way of knowing besides asking the owner.

Emile
09-27-2009, 07:04 PM
So many different cars on the road with so many different wheels. It's hard to tell what wheels are on what car sometimes, particularly trying to determine the difference between chrome and polished aluminum wheels.

Your best bet is to use the internet, aside from just asking the owner...many owners believe that they have chrome wheels when they may in fact have polished aluminum. If it's a recent vehicle, you can checkout the manufacturer's website, look at the model and the specs of the vehicle...that will tell you. If the car is discontinued, you can try searching Google for documentation from 3rd-party sites on the specifications of a specific vehicle.

Most factory wheels that are aluminum-alloy are painted and clear-coated, but aftermarket wheels is a completely different story. That's why you're getting recommendations for wheel cleaners that are safe for all wheels.

What year, make, and model is your wife's vehicle?

agpatel
09-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Dont know if it is just me but I have many wheel cleaners and normal soap and water do just as well for me. Even if I have not cleaned my wheels in weeks, or a month or two, I can still clean them up fast with a brush and some soap and water that is left over after washing the car. This is on a VW and everyone knows how bad German cars are with brake dust. So like I said maybe I am doing something wrong but soap and water works for me and it is safe on all wheels.

Garry Dean
09-27-2009, 08:51 PM
I rarely ever use a specific "wheel" cleaner. I would say that 9 out of 10 times regular wash soap and water will clean any wheel just fine.

Laura
09-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Dont know if it is just me but I have many wheel cleaners and normal soap and water do just as well for me. Even if I have not cleaned my wheels in weeks, or a month or two, I can still clean them up fast with a brush and some soap and water that is left over after washing the car. This is on a VW and everyone knows how bad German cars are with brake dust. So like I said maybe I am doing something wrong but soap and water works for me and it is safe on all wheels.

:iagree: I use soap and water and PB Sealant on mine unless I've been lazy and haven't QD every day or every other day. I believe my car floats on little clouds of brake dust like Pigpin from Peanuts. After two or three neglectd days, my front wheels are horrible, but as long as I keep them coated with PB, it will wipe right off with a regular wash. I use the Daytona brush and the green wheel brush; love both of those. I use the green finger pocket pads to apply the sealant. I can't help you with telling the type of metal. It seems typical factory wheels are aluminum alloy, some clear coated to varying degrees. Mine are really smooth to touch and have some painted qualities. My husband has a Toyota 4Runner with what looks like the same color, but feels much more rough. I got some Wolfgang Tire & Wheel Cleaner - WG-4600 (http://www.autogeek.net/wg4600.html) because it says it's safe for any type wheel. It works very well. But I would recommend Poorboy’s World Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner 32 oz - PB-SRWC32 (http://www.autogeek.net/pbsrwc32.html) for getting caked brake dust off. I've used it on several family member's cars who only rely on the auto car wash - years of dust and tar. It says it's safe for all types, but I dilute mine some because it's so strong.

.... and they are so much fun to wax depending on the wheel!
Even with just using soap, it takes almost as long to do my wheels as it does to wash the entire car. It seems that a lot of people hate doing the windows, but I hate doing my wheels. Probably because most of it is in vain; all I have to do it drive to work, and they're dusty again. .....but they do look good right after a bath :dblthumb2:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/After22.jpg

14automobiles
09-27-2009, 09:36 PM
What do you all recommend for tar removal off of the wheel or off of my paint for that matter?

GMC83
09-27-2009, 09:40 PM
What do you all recommend for tar removal off of the wheel or off of my paint for that matter?

I use either Meguiars Body Solvent or WD 40. :props:

CEE DOG
09-27-2009, 09:45 PM

I love the Pinnacle Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad!

The ratings I show below are off of autopia review chart (not me)

Pinnacle Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad $5.99 CLEANING POWER 5.0 / PAINT FRIENDLY 5.0

Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover $8.99 CLEANING POWER 4.5 / PAINT FRIENDLY 3.0

Stoner Tarminator Bug and Tar Remover $5.99 CLEANING POWER 3.6 / PAINT FRIENDLY 3.3

Meguiars Gold Class Bug & Tar Remover not sure on price CLEANING POWER 3.3 / PAINT FRIENDLY 3.7