PDA

View Full Version : Rinse-less-wash and more

Lamoka
09-27-2009, 10:02 AM
With winter coming soon to the N/E I've been thinking about some late season detailing. I've been toying with the DP rinse-less- wash (RLW) and like it.
2 quick questions:
Is there some reason why I would not want to use a RLW everytime I wash?
Is there some disadvantage compared to the traditional method?
If after (RLW) washing in the winter, if I also wanted to add some new shine, are there recommended products that do well with a near freezing temp application?

supercharged
09-27-2009, 10:27 AM
During winter time you will usually accumulate more dirt/grime in general. With that in mind, you want most of it gone BEFORE you start the wash wheather you use rinseless wash, or traditional bucket and soap method. For this, I chose pressure washer and foam cannon combo. Presoak, let it dwell for 10 minutes, rinse well...then start your wash. Cannot get any easier then this.

agpatel
09-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Is there some reason why I would not want to use a RLW everytime I wash?

No, not really there should be no reason not to use it. Dont use it if you can alot of caked on crud, if you do just pre-wash and then ONR away

Is there some disadvantage compared to the traditional method?

Cant think of any big ones other then you can clean a caked on car straight away, you have to pre-soak or rinse the car off to get the large chucks off

If after (RLW) washing in the winter, if I also wanted to add some new shine, are there recommended products that do well with a near freezing temp application?

I would recommend a good wax before the winter starts like FK1000P or #845 insulator wax which will last 5-6 months to get you through the winter. During the winter after you ONR use a good QD to help shine up the car and extend the wax.

Emile
09-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Rinseless washes are great but I do them in my garage which means I cannot clean the wheels and wheel wells as thoroughly (no wheel cleaners can be used since rinsing isn't an option). Additionally, no luxury of the foam cannon so soap/water solution does not get into every nook and cranny of the vehicle during a wash. Not really a big deal but still worth mentioning.

I think that when a car is very dirty and grimy, such as after a few weeks' worth of winter driving, a rinseless wash doesn't have the benefit of pre-rinsing and post-rinsing the vehicle, again similar to what I said above. I think that pre-rinsing really helps get rid of most of the dirt on the vehicle quickly, safely, and easily especially if you have a pressure washer.

Do you mean you want to apply the wax or sealant while the vehicle is parked outside? If this is the case, I would definitely advise using a durable wax or sealant (or both) before the real cold sets in. And just use a spray wax or spray detailer which offers some protection to maintain a shiny and protected finish.

Lamoka
09-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Is the Collinite compatible with poly based top coats?
In other words will I be able to Collinite 845 right over my Zaino top coats?

Showroom Shine
09-29-2009, 06:28 AM
Rinseless washes are great but I do them in my garage which means I cannot clean the wheels and wheel wells as thoroughly (no wheel cleaners can be used since rinsing isn't an option). Additionally, no luxury of the foam cannon so soap/water solution does not get into every nook and cranny of the vehicle during a wash. Not really a big deal but still worth mentioning.

I think that when a car is very dirty and grimy, such as after a few weeks' worth of winter driving, a rinseless wash doesn't have the benefit of pre-rinsing and post-rinsing the vehicle, again similar to what I said above. I think that pre-rinsing really helps get rid of most of the dirt on the vehicle quickly, safely, and easily especially if you have a pressure washer.

Do you mean you want to apply the wax or sealant while the vehicle is parked outside? If this is the case, I would definitely advise using a durable wax or sealant (or both) before the real cold sets in. And just use a spray wax or spray detailer which offers some protection to maintain a shiny and protected finish.

I was having the same issues with washing in the garage,and water all over the floor. I just purchased the Nomad H2O Pressure Washer. I have used it in my garage 2 times already. It has about as much pressure as a hose spiket on the house. It is powered by an accessories plug in my vehicle. I just received the AC to DC adapter. So I'll see how that works. 3.5 gallon tank and 30' hose. I put ONR in the tank. Nice Tool IMO!